Mobile Networks - get your act together next year please

Guest ianianian

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm on Vodafone, and not one problem all weekend with texts or calls, although very occasionally I couldn't get on the internet. But two friends in our camp, both on O2, took a day or two to receive our texts, and it went straight to their voicemail every time we called them! Meant we couldn't meet up nearly as much as we would have liked.

I found someone's phone on the floor during Altern-8 and weirdly it died literally the second I picked it up, so instead of handing it in, I kept it thinking that with no battery the chances of them getting it back from lost property were zero.

Only problem is I can't find my old Sony charger. How much effort would you put in to help someone who was stupid enough to let their mobile die by Thursday night?! I have no interest in stealing it but they're obviously a bit of a plum!

Yep O2 were defiantly shockingly bad yet again. The only way I seemed to get a batch load of texts were when I eventually managed to call someone without getting network busy/no access to network messages at one point I think I counted 24 all coming through at once. I also know a fair few messages never came through, as I get a text from my bank every day which didn’t arrive and a few people I have spoken to since I got back said I didn’t reply to there texts.

It would be nice for the networks to get there acts together as we are paying for a service after all. However we went old school and really weren’t relying on phones by the end of the weekend, meeting points/times were a lot more reliable.

On another note, was anyone else a little ticked off with Glastonav and the way it would launch itself everytime a new message came through from Orange? I know this didn’t happen on my mate’s phone, he just got the same message as an sms, so was there a way to turn it off?

My battery died twice because I didn’t check on my phone for hours, then when I did Glastonav had zapped loads of power by launching itself. My phones an oldish k770i I use for festivals, and usually it can last a good 4-5 days on one charge, plus I took a spare battery.

So wasn’t too happy I’d that already gone through an entire battery by Thursday evening.

Can you please explain to me how they would have ever get it back with it switched off and in lost property?! Or are you telling me that they diligenly recharge all the phones and then call all the owners?!

I may be wrong on this one as I've never worked a lost property but that scenario sees slighty unlikely to me!

Surely if you handed it into the Orange tent they would have charged it and tried to locate the last few people who text/called the phone. I may be wrong but I’m sure the helpful people in there would have done the decent thing.

In-fact I saw someone hand in a dead phone they found on the floor to the Orange tent, and watched the lady who worked there wonder around looking for what I guess was a charger for the phone.

Can you please explain to me how they would have ever get it back with it switched off and in lost property?! Or are you telling me that they diligenly recharge all the phones and then call all the owners?!

I may be wrong on this one as I've never worked a lost property but that scenario sees slighty unlikely to me!

In all honesty, I had a shite load of battery life left, cos I was on O2, and that meant that I only ever got texts at 5am and people enjoyed the soft tones of my answerphone on regular occasions, and you know what - I found it incredibly refreshing!!!

If I lost people I just bimbled by myself til I found someone I knew (this didn't happen often, the bimbling I mean). It did mean I didn't get to see one of my mates who camped elsewhere pretty much at all, but has lead to lots of post glastobating about what we did, so thats been useful during the depression.

Basically, stress less about phones and just enjoy the relaxing feeling that not being contactable brings!

yep, charging all the fones up and phoning home numbers/friends is exactly what they do.

I was up at lost property 4 times hoping someone would have handed in my phone.... whoever had it dialled my friends fones a couple of times before the battery died, so it seems they were trying to contact me, but I wish they would have just handed it in so I could get it back from lost property. GRRR. Im just hoping still they have handed it in before they left the festival.

There are also other ways of distinguishing phones, such as IMEI numbers, so a dead battery doesnt mean it will never get returned to the owner!

02 was most definitely the worst...my phone only ran out of battery on sunday...but I turned my phone on yesterday afternoon and got nearly 30 texts all at once most of which had been sent on thursday friday and saturday.

Everytime I tried calling someone after about 12 midday it failed and finally started to work again at about 4am and texts just weren't being sent or received at all

I was on o2 and my phone was fooked! not one phone call and my texts would come through about fifteen at a time during the wee hours.

im on Tmobile and it worked a treat 24 hours a day. Was able to keep in constant contact with my teenage daughter, whom given she is a teenager it appeared would reply before id even finished texting,lol. She is on Orange, so both networks got the thumbs up from us.

Yes data was a little on the slow side, for the web n walk service, but i only used it to keep up with the weather anyway !

Right, I've complained to O2 via their customers services. Don't let this slip peeps, we need to moan at them until they've confirmed they'll fix it for next year. I'll let you all know when they come back to me suggesting I might need a handset upgrade :angry: