NIN quitting?

Guest deadrobot

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utter BULLSHIT!!!!!

NIN are , have always been, and always will be in awe of real live bands like Metallica!!!

You can give it all the clever language and all the "I'm better than you because I can say words that most don't understand", and you can call it "artistic impression". Personaly I'd just call you a self important prick, and all the longwinded crap that you've been spouting meens f**k all. Stop being such a pretentious w*nker, and if you can't enjoy music for musics sake, then f**k off and let the rest of us do it. c**t!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. No doubt you will come back with some increddibly inteligent retort that uses words like consonant etc., but f**k you, I prefer to listen to listen to metal than be a f**kin anal dictionary dickwad, so f**k off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Utter BULLSHIT!!!!!

NIN are , have always been, and always will be in awe of real live bands like Metallica!!!

You can give it all the clever language and all the "I'm better than you because I can say words that most don't understand", and you can call it "artistic impression". Personaly I'd just call you a self important prick, and all the longwinded crap that you've been spouting meens f**k all. Stop being such a pretentious w*nker, and if you can't enjoy music for musics sake, then f**k off and let the rest of us do it. c**t!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I almost hate myself for doing so but I feel I must comment here (I'm not a huge NIN fan or anything but do appreciate what they/he does, mostly since TR said that thing about being massively influenced by Pop Will Eat Itself - now there's honesty). Having seen many real live bands like Metallica, and many non-real non-live non-bands (presumably that's the opposite) like NIN I'm not quite sure of the difference tbh. NIN use instruments, they're just different to the ones some other bands use, it's still a live performance. It's hardly the difference between Henry Rollins and Britney Miming Spears (or other applicable industry puppet) is it? And come to think of it, there was and is at least one real live band that is, has always, and always will be in awe of NIN, and were blown away by them when they asked them to be support at a Wembley Stadium gig in 1991. That band is, or at least was, of course on a par with Metallica as a live act draw, - G 'n' 'f' 'n' R (and the other support, Skid Row aren't too shabby live either).

Fair point about being entertained or not, makes a lot of sense. I just can't sit back and let the NIN not a real live act thing pass. B)

The last Euro GIG was in Madrid and they played one of the most intense, brilliant shows on this tour.

This show was the second they played with Metallica this summer. The crowd at werchter sucked. They were fucking DIRE. NIN played a festival set but the crowd up front was 80% at least metallica fans, and the one thing about Metallica fans that if it doesnt look or sound EXACTLY like Metallica, then they dont care and dont want it on their stage. NIN got a pretty apathetic response for the most part interspersed with the odd bellowing metalhead dickhead. The way i see it, NIN have been an ever evolving band sonically, whereas metallica, one album aside, have been chasing exactly the same sound, so its not surprising, or a bad thing, that their fans do the same.

The set at Sonisphere was a response to this. Why try pleasing a bunch of people who are so very closed minded that the chances of managing to please them are slim as it is? Why try and blow them away when they are so totally unaccepting anyway? Why try and please people when youre on the way out? NIN arent as big as metallica and have never been as driven by money as strongly as they are, so they played a set for the people who were there to see them.

Reznor said on the issue:

"We played a purposely quiet, intimate set. I figured it would either enrage or baffle the metal audience... but to our amazement it went over great! Really fun set to play in that environment."

and

"Once again - we played what we played because we wanted to - AND - to get this kind of reaction from this type of attendee:

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/festivals/2009/0...-knebworth.html

Mission accomplished. We're not a metal band and we're not trying to win over Metallica fans. If you get it, you get it. If you don't, you don't."

I loved it. I also liked metallica. I was getting into metallica more than the rest of the twats on the barrier who were there just for them. This is so typical of UK metal crowds. Filled with a bunch of pussies. Shame. You could tell metallica were not impressed at all.

Whatever. Im off to LA next month to see the last 4 ever NIN shows.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting to see that Trent could be playing a whole album on certain nights of the final leg of dates, I wish I was seeing these last shows :P

NIN opened their ‘Wave Goodbye’ tour (reportedly the final 11 dates that NIN will ever play) in New York’s Bowery Ballroom, but at the second date at NY’s Webster Hall, NIN played their 1994 landmark album, ‘The Downward Spiral’, in its entirety.

The band’s setlist at Webster Hall ran:

1. “Mr. Self Destruct”

2. “Piggy”

3. “Heresy”

4. “March of the Pigs”

5. “Closer”

6. “Ruiner”

7. “The Becoming”

8. “I Do Not Want This”

9. “Big Man with a Gun”

10. “A Warm Place”

11. “Eraser”

12. “Reptile”

13. “The Downward Spiral”

14. “Hurt”

15. “1,000,000″

16. “Terrible Lie”

17. “Metal”

18. “Lights In the Sky”

19. “Burn”

20. “Gave Up”

21. “Suck”

22. “Physical”

23. “The Hand That Feeds”

24. “Head Like A Hole”

• 2 weeks later...
Not a bad set list for the farewell gig! Only 37 songs.

01 – Home

02 – Somewhat Damaged

03 – The Collector

04 – Discipline

05 – March Of The Pigs

06 – Something I Can Never Have

07 – The Frail

08 – The Wretched

09 – Ruiner

10 – Head Down

11 – Burn

12 – Just Like You Imagined (feat. Mike Garson)

13 – La Mer (feat. Mike Garson)

14 – Eraser (feat. Mike Garson)

15 – The Becoming (feat. Mike Garson)

16 – Down In The Park (Gary Numan cover) (feat. Mike Garson and Gary Numan)

17 – Metal (Gary Numan cover) (feat. Mike Garson and Gary Numan)

18 – I Die: You Die (Gary Numan cover) (feat. Mike Garson and Gary Numan)

19 – 1,000,000

20 – Letting You

21 – Survivalism

22 – Suck

23 – Down In It

24 – The Hand That Feeds

25 – Head Like A Hole

Encore:

26 – Me, I’m Not (feat. Atticus Ross)

27 – The Warning (feat. Atticus Ross and Dave Navarro)

28 – Piggy (feat. Atticus Ross and Dave Navarro)

29 – Gave Up (feat. Dave Navarro)

30 – Mr. Self Destruct (feat. Greg Puciato and Benjamin Weinman)

31 – Wish (feat. The Dillinger Escape Plan)

32 – Atmosphere

33 – Dead Souls (Joy Division cover)

34 – The Good Soldier

35 – The Day The World Went Away

36 – Hurt

37 – In This Twilight

Selfishly I hope Sonisphere isn't the last time I seem them live, maybe in 5-10 years time after doing the family thing Trent will fancy making a comeback.

Edited by irons