Sonisphere

Guest MetalDave

I dont understand why the download faithful are so defensive about DL, its been shit for years, and last year should have been the final straw but people just go back like lemmings.

the boards after last year's DL (on here and the official ones) were lit up with people furious at the new layout, the lack of organistaion, the placement of the 2nd stage etc etc etc, and now DL have announced a pretty shoddy lineup IMHO people are clutching to get tickets? and moaning at sonishpere for being too expensive?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it gives them something else to moan about other than the line up and all the problems they encounter at Download.

Some people complained saying 'I'm not going to buy a ticket based on a 4 band announcement.'. At least you know who is headlining Sonisphere, and tbh I would watch all 4 of those bands. I couldn't pick 4 bands I would watch out of the current DL line up.

I mean I always thought that festival organisation 101 was to tell people the headliners before tickets went on sale. Or am I wrong?

Well it gives them something else to moan about other than the line up and all the problems they encounter at Download.

Some people complained saying 'I'm not going to buy a ticket based on a 4 band announcement.'. At least you know who is headlining Sonisphere, and tbh I would watch all 4 of those bands. I couldn't pick 4 bands I would watch out of the current DL line up.

I mean I always thought that festival organisation 101 was to tell people the headliners before tickets went on sale. Or am I wrong?

to be fair, i'm a download goer and will be going this yr too.

and I like the lineup so far this year (provided slipknot and prodigy dont clash...) and while i like all 4 bands playing sonisphere i've seen em to death ('tallica would be the 4th time in less than a year...)

at least with the download list i've not seen bizkit, def leppard, whitesnake, devildriver or crue so far and only (somehow...) seen korn, pendulum, dragonforce and trivium once!

plus...

it's 25 mins from home :)

having said that...

when NIN are announced for sonisphere and day tickets go on sale i'll probably be buying one!

It'll be my 3rd time in a year for metallica! Thats just how good they are I guess :):)

I really wanted to do DL this year and was preying for some worthy headliners but the combination of Sonispheres announcement and headliners I'm just not that into, well I'm off to sonisphere!!

The DL support roster is always great but the headliners seem to be sub par compared to other fests with bands you would see 2nd top (or lower) at other festivals playing headline slots at DL.

I know other fest have a different demographic so no suprise to see MCR and Lostprophets further down the bill at fests like T but DL should be attracting bands like ACDC, Aerosmith, Green Day, Foos. Well that calibre anyway.

It'll be my 3rd time in a year for metallica! Thats just how good they are I guess :):)

I really wanted to do DL this year and was preying for some worthy headliners but the combination of Sonispheres announcement and headliners I'm just not that into, well I'm off to sonisphere!!

The DL support roster is always great but the headliners seem to be sub par compared to other fests with bands you would see 2nd top (or lower) at other festivals playing headline slots at DL.

I know other fest have a different demographic so no suprise to see MCR and Lostprophets further down the bill at fests like T but DL should be attracting bands like ACDC, Aerosmith, Green Day, Foos. Well that calibre anyway.

was interested in this festival until firstly I saw Linkin park as 2nd headliners - they have not been big enough to justify headlining status for a while now and most importantly the price put me off completely. Luckily I am seeing Metallica in Brum when they are touring, however if NIN are playing may have to think again.

And don't pile me in the Download forever banner - the line up last year was shite - I went to Rock am Ring instead and the Germans thought the Download line up was a joke (Lost Prophets were the opening band at 2pm at Rock am Ring). That said Metallica at Rock am Ring was disappointing compared to other occasions - RATM were fantastic but the highlight for me was 36CF

just to correct lostprophets played 2nd at 2:50 haha. they played lower down the bill at v fest too which was pretty awful but who would expect them at v anyway. reading and download is their thing, they are i'm guessing bigger in the uk being welsh for one thing.

and to say linkin park don't justify playing 2nd, thats just wrong, they've one of the biggest selling album in however many years it is in hybrid theory and that album is the 3rd best selling album of the 21st century, and would be 2nd if it wasn't for a re-released beatles 1 album probably. they've done project rev in states and was very successful here last year, sold more tickets that download apparantely so i'd say more than big enough, 24million from 1st album and over 50mil overall

Edited by gazza_20

Agreed. When bands reach a certain stage it becomes more about their status as opposed to what they have released recently. I mean during st anger, not many people went to see metallica purely because of their output on that steaming turd!! :)

Possible yeah. I think DL is the only festival at the moment that sees how ticket sales are before enevitably putting day tickets on sale. I guess if tickets sales aren't great (and I don't imagine they are) then day tickets will emerge.

• 2 weeks later...

LP are definate headliners. they are the biggest selling band of the 21st century for crying out loud. i saw them live last year in dublin, was amazing, they are a great live act, no doubt about it. and the lineup for sonisphere right now is nothing short of insane. Linkin park, metallica, mastodon, machine head, bullet, A7x, so many awesome bands. i cant wait, gonna be awesome