Sonisphere

Guest MetalDave

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/stuartgalbraithexclusive/

Just read the statement from the organiser of this festival (follow link) and i've decided that i don't like him at all :unsure:

1) He starts slagging off Download by saying sure download can get slipknot and the prodigy, but theres "always that worry they'll clash.", and then goes on to say "we won't have that problem". How the hell have they solved that one?! teleportation??? cloning???. Its just sods law, at some point during any festival theres going to be two bands i want to see playing at the same time as long as theres two stages.

2) The price for this two day festival are absolutely insane. £132.50 for a weekend ticket, extra £10 for an Early Bird ticket, extra £10 for parking (£20 on the day). Give me a break!!

3) His whole article is just "yeah this festival will be great we've got Metallica, Linkin Park and some very special guests". Thats all he has to say about whats good about the festival. When asked how hes going to set it apart from its competitors like Download and Reading, he merely just slags them off.

4) "Download would have been better to take a year off last year and been honest with themselves, saying they didn’t get a decent bill together.". Thats what a pussy does. I had a great time at Download last year. Yes the line-up wasn't the best, but they still put on a fairly decent set of bands and everyone who wanted a Download festival got one.

I think i may have woke up on the wrong side of bed this morning................Yes, i think so. Rant over

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The festival will have two outdoor stages, with acts alternating between one stage and another to keep the music continuous, whilst not having two acts playing at the same time."

So basically there is no choice? What a micky mouse festival.

Aparently the way they are getting around the clashing thing is by "staggering the acts over two stages". Now this reads to me like a band will be on one stage while they are setting a stage up for another band on the other stage.

So, are they expecting every one of the 50,000 people to move from stage 1 to stage 2 constantly throughout the day? are they going to get as many bands playing as other festivals because they can't utelise the time that someone is on another stage?

Yes we all hate clashes, but at the end of the day we understand that they cannot be avoided! And at least if you don't like a certain band you have a choice of what's on at other stages. Perhaps the organiser is that arrogant that he thinks everyone who goes to his festival will like EVERY band on the bill. No matter how good your line up is, it will NEVER happen! Never gonna please everyone.

And hell yes, the prices are just ridiculous!

B x

In theory the idea is good having alternating stages to stop clashes.But if you don`t like a band you are stuck with little to do, at least you have 2 more stages to choose from at Download there is a 3 in 1 chance there is someone worth seeing or checking out.Really cannot see Slipknot/Prodigy clashing Scaremongering I reckon.Slipknot Prodigy co headlining main stage is very realistic.

The price is horrendous for the amount of bands you will see over 2 days very doubtful I will attend. :unsure:

Lets face it, this festival does not care about its fans or the music, it cares about the profit. Some bands first big breaks have been made at Download (i.e. Trivium in 05 and arguably Black Stone Cherry in 08). These bands would not have been booked at a festival like Knobworth because they were not "big hitters" at the time. The point im making is you can only book the big bands for so long, and whilst Download are looking at smaller bands and giving them a chance at some limelight, i get the feeling Knobworth would never do that.

Well I have just decided that I am not going to Sonisphere. The organiser seems like a prize prat to me and I'd rather not give him my hard earned pennies. I'd rather take my £150 and put it towards my Autumn holiday, and hope to God that Linkin Park do another tour next year!!

B x

lets face it, what galbraith said about download is true - they should have taken a year off last year and admitted they couldnt get a decent lineup. its never been as good since they stretched it from 2 to three days, and th esite last year was shite, and this years is an unknown quantity. stop defending download on past glories, it hasnt been great for a long time.

OK, so here's the thing, if you buy a ticket and NIN don't play but they sell out then you can shift said ticket on EBay for like £200. If you buy a ticket and NIN play, you have a ticket. If you buy a ticket and NIN don't play and Sonisphere doesnt sell out, then you are stuck with said ticket but you may be able to shift it on EBay or similar anyway!?

Possibilities. . . .

B x

Lets face it, this festival does not care about its fans or the music, it cares about the profit. Some bands first big breaks have been made at Download (i.e. Trivium in 05 and arguably Black Stone Cherry in 08). These bands would not have been booked at a festival like Knobworth because they were not "big hitters" at the time. The point im making is you can only book the big bands for so long, and whilst Download are looking at smaller bands and giving them a chance at some limelight, i get the feeling Knobworth would never do that.

lets face it, what galbraith said about download is true - they should have taken a year off last year and admitted they couldnt get a decent lineup.

MetalDave, while your comments definitely have their hearts in the right place, that issue you're picking up about bands clashing is retarded. That system is implemented at Graspop and it's one of the most successful booking systems I've ever seen. This Sonisphere gig is definitely overpriced and will probably - unless the rumours about Faith No More are true - predominently feature bands that have done the rounds a lot recently, but ensuring that you can't miss a band unless it's through choice is a real one-up on Download in my opinion.

...you know 4 of the bands playing.

MetalDave, while your comments definitely have their hearts in the right place, that issue you're picking up about bands clashing is retarded. That system is implemented at Graspop and it's one of the most successful booking systems I've ever seen. This Sonisphere gig is definitely overpriced and will probably - unless the rumours about Faith No More are true - predominently feature bands that have done the rounds a lot recently, but ensuring that you can't miss a band unless it's through choice is a real one-up on Download in my opinion.
Edited by MetalDave

Hooray! I love Black Stone Cherry! :lol:

Most of the best bands I have seen at Download have been the ones that wouldn't get on the Knebworth lineup if that is their attitude. I know not many people would agree but Seether, Black Stone Cherry, Skindred and Airbourne were probably the most fun I had all weekend!