Julian Temple Glasto DVD

Guest TaylorT

Got the dvd for Krimbo and i must say its absolutly fantastic & its got me pretty damn excited already but its only December still :( . I must have watched at least 10 times since Christmas day already :lol: it shows so many of the wierd and wonderfull things that make Glasto amazing and totaly makes you want to be there now which is no good in the middle of wniter :( !!!

I especially love the Stone Circle thing on the extra disc, its basically a dusk till dawn recording of all the magic that happens in the circle of goodness. Its all narrowed down into a 20 odd minute film likes but its just perfect and after watching it you actually feel like you`v just spent the night at The Stone Circle :D:D:D amazing stuff, ive been sitting there for days aswell :D

Anyone else got and just as obsessed watching it?? I need to know i aint the only one :D

The film does not explicitly state there are contradictions but it juxtaposes images and ideas to show contradictions.

Take the idea of the freedom of the festival. The film shows clearly that the freedom found on the inside of the modern festival is heavily dependant on the fence and the heavy handed security on the outside.

Or the zietgiest of the festival as an anarchiac gathering when set against the huge amount of planning and orginising that it takes to bring it about.

Another is the relationship with 'new age travellers' and how it has evolved. From being a shelter to them being a threat to now both excluding them while including them. (The levellers comment set against the inclusion of Roy and Lost Vaugeness).

Even down to the constant use of mobile phone ringtones. Part of the festivals appeal is the idea of getting away from everything but many of us go there and are 'chained' to our mobiles and the meetings we arrange with them.

Part of the appeal of the documentary is that it does not push a conclusion about the festival. It does not say it has lost its edge or say that it is still very edgy (for example) but it shows evidence for both conclusions (IYSWIM).

Edited by TaylorT

If anyone is interested it's available here for £5 ( at this time ) - This is a bargain imho !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B...p;condition=new

Worth a look if you want a look at the Glasto experience old and new.

Enjoy ! :lol:

PS here's some info about it off Amazon ...

DVD Description

In 1970, a young farmer named Michael Eavis opened his 150-acre farm to 1,500 people for the weekend who paid one pound each to watch a handful of pop and folk stars perform...and the Glastonbury Festival was born. Julien Temple, (The Filth and the Fury), has spent the past few years collecting footage from every single Glastonbury Festival, interweaving images of the people, the spectacles and the legendary music performances, and capturing the unbridled energy of each successive generation of youthful music fans. Glastonbury skilfully chronicles, and lets you experience, the evolution of the longest-running music festival in the world.

Special Features

SPECIAL FEATURES Disc 1: Interactive shuffle track feature: re-edit the film to create your own festival Commentary by Julien Temple (Director) and Jarvis Cocker

Disc 2: Uncut Tracks: 10 full performances from: Foo Fighters, Fun Lovin’ Criminals, Goldfrapp, Kaiser Chiefs, The Killers, Nick Cave, Paul McCartney, Radiohead, R.E.M, The White Stripes Interviews with: Michael Eavis, Festival Founder Celebrities including: James Brown, Coldplay, Noel Gallagher, The Dandy Warhols, Moby, John Peel, Festival Goers Deleted sequences: Glastonbury Ceremony, The Stone Circle Freeing The Spirit: Glastonbury 1999’ Featurette

Edited by DaveMac