Films

Guest razz1e

Bought the John Carpenter box set the other day, nearly finished it. I recommend it heartily, 7 films, only one is a duffer*. Anyone else here a big fan of Jesus Christ? I mean, John Carpenter?

*The makers of the box set were careful not to include any films that are less than 20 years old.

• Replies 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched 'Mirrors' with Kiefer Sutherland a couple of nights ago and was very pleasantly surprised at some of the graphic images, if you enjoy horror you should enjoy this. Its been a while since I have enjoyed a decent horror-ish film and this certainly had a more original flavour than most of the stuff out there. I may venture to the pictures to see Unborn, which looks ok

Bought the John Carpenter box set the other day, nearly finished it. I recommend it heartily, 7 films, only one is a duffer*. Anyone else here a big fan of Jesus Christ? I mean, John Carpenter?

Pinback I am a huge JC fan and I suffered 2 nights ago by making myself watch the remake that Rob 'I wich you actually were a' Zombie had attempted at Halloween, why, why, why I ask myself? They already butchered The Fog........if ANYBODY touches The Thing (which holds a special place in heart for the many nightmares of spider heads etc)...I will hunt them down!

Jumpers - Not bad, nothing special like.

Night At The Museum - Surprised myself by loving this.

Apocalypto - OK but far too long.

Benjamin Button - I finally got round to watching this the whole way through. I didn't find it all that spectacular to be honest and it was all messed up......

as he was born old then he should have popped out as a full grown man not a baby, you can't be born a baby and then also die a baby, that's silly (yes, I realise the story is silly anyway but still!

:( )

True.

But it is a remake which is several million times better than the original, and is also closer to the original book than Hawks' 1950s film version.

Is Michael f**king Bay or whoever wants to try having a go at vastly improving John Carpenter's The Thing, then i'd like to see him try. Except I wouldn't, because it would be rubbish.

The Thing is great.

An excellent minimalist concept with a minimal cast and a minimal soundtrack. All culminating in a deeply psychological tension. I love it. It does what many films try and fail to do. That is, take you to an isolated place. I think Ringu is the only film since then to match it. I like to see Alien, The Thing and Ringu as three quintessential terror films.

I think the rest of Carpenters work is average at best.