am i the only one who hopes

Guest greeneyes1980

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, authentic versus nationalistic. Very often authentic cultures are assimilated into a body of national literature.

The stuff that comes from tribes is caught up in a body of literature known as post-colonial, as their identity has been impacted upon by the colonies. Many cultures did not use literature as the west understand it.

But I don't accept your position, either because I misunderstand, or because you're wrong. I think you are too worried about the "construction of national identity" (as is this academic hero of yours) and so fail to notice that aspects of culture simply are attributable to a group which has become known as "The Welsh!" :P

If I could be bothered to read your recommendation, perhaps I would appreciate your point. As it is I see just messianic zeal for a view which is only held by you, Bhabha and a small number of academics worldwide. It may well be you are all right, but at the least it will take time for such a theory to spread beyond the ivory towers.

Try me. I'm not too bad on oral traditions, what I want to hear is "did the Australian native peoples have a body of literature" ??? If so it might be interesting to hear more about...

We're playing chicken and egg here fella.

As far as I'm concerned, there was a culture first which a group of people belonged to. It was later claimed that they formed a national group as such.

You meanwhile seem to have be claiming that the national identity came first and was more important than the cultural identity.

Edited by worm

Look, one last try. You are calling these people Australian. Australian is a name given to a land full of people by the western world. It's an Imperial map of the world according to the west. A map of the world, culturally speaking, would be very different - this brings in the importance of Bhabha with regards to globalisation and the decay of international boundaries and identities.
Edited by sifimaster

This is just getting frustrating now. I don't have the words you require.

Look, one last try. You are calling these people Australian. Australian is a name given to a land full of people by the western world. It's an Imperial map of the world according to the west. A map of the world, culturally speaking, would be very different - this brings in the importance of Bhabha with regards to globalisation and the decay of international boundaries and identities.

Did this body of people have one body of literature, no, they did not have an idea of nationalism. They conformed to no flag. They were collections of cultures, as all national regions were/are until someone chucks a boundary around them all and sticks a flag, a unified tradition and a body of national literature in their face.

Edited by Radar

That is also my source of frustration.

Yes, I'm calling them that for want of a better word. I completely understand your point regarding the name (and therefore national identity) which is defined by history and indeed Empire. I understand that a global monoculture is the horrific byproduct of a globalised economy, or at least the risk of such a monoculture.

I think I shall have to look into this culture vs. national identity issue further, because I understand everything you are saying there, but I do not believe that a culture ends when it is given a name or even what you might refer to as "branding" ???

Edited by worm