Socks

Stretlow

Still not got round to ordering.

Would one of you kind people link me up to some recommended 1000 mile and bamboo socks (there's a few different ones)

Thanks in advance

Stret

Bamboo or Merino wool - tbh it's much of a muchness and go with what you prefer

The real trick is double layer. The 1000 miles socks are just double layer socks, but the price isn't silly so no harm done.

Beyond that take your footwear off whenever you have the chance and raise your feet up if possible - a significant amount of foot-ache is from the constant blood pressure of being on your feet all the time and constantly in boots/whatever.

1000 mile socks are fucking excellent. They were right foot savers a few years ago. I have my athletics socks by them on as we speak, dead comfy. I'd recommend the walking/hiking ones though. Bit pricey but they really do look after your feet. Padded on the soles as well for comfort.

Edited by mungo57

It turns out that these days not all 1000 mile socks are double layered. You want double layered ones.

After that they do them in different lengths, colours and weights (summer / winter). Best thing is to get down to a local outdoors store and have a look at them to work out what length & weight you want. You can always check for cheaper prices online once you've worked that out.

1000 mile socks are fucking excellent. They were right foot savers a few years ago. I have my athletics socks by them on as we speak, dead comfy. I'd recommend the walking/hiking ones though. Bit pricey but they really do look after your feet. Padded on the soles as well for comfort.

It turns out that these days not all 1000 mile socks are double layered. You want double layered ones.

After that they do them in different lengths, colours and weights (summer / winter). Best thing is to get down to a local outdoors store and have a look at them to work out what length & weight you want. You can always check for cheaper prices online once you've worked that out.

Please can you link me up to ones I should be looking at, I'll admit I'm not a sock connoisseur and I love the little fellas at the end of my legs

Edited by Stretlow

I bought some bamboo socks for Glastonbury once. When they arrived I discovered that they were just calling the name of the socks 'Bamboo' ie they'd never seen a forest in their lives and certainly not a panda bear.

I was very disappointed when my bamboo socks didn't arrive with a free panda.

• 2 weeks later...

looking at this thread, I think I will be investing in some 1000 mile socks soon.

in 2013, I bought various 'walking socks' from mountain warehouse, have to say they did ok, had no foot issues, but I know we got lucky with the weather that year...I did have my seal socks (much to my friends laughter when they heard I'd paid £30+ for a pair of waterproof socks....they shall be going with me again this year, and hopefully I wont need hem yet again!.

one question.

welly liner / welly socks.for men

any recommendations?....do they draw moisture out from bottom of the boot as well as just protect your lower legs?

• 2 weeks later...

for those have / getting 1000 mile socks.

which type did you get / have used?

fusion services?

fusion walking?

ultimate heavyweight walking sock?

http://www.1000mile.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=2

or did you get a mixture and then wore depending on the weather each day?

how do they compare to the double layer cheaper ones from mountain warehouse, as I see they have sale on..

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/footwear/walking-socks/mens/double-layer-walking-sock-p12615.aspx?cl=NAVY

cheers

Edited by Northernsoul45

I love my 1000 mile double layer socks for running. (http://www.1000mile.co.uk/running/1000-mile-ultimate-tactel-sock/prod_45.html). I cover a lot of miles in them (have a few pairs of course!).

At Glasto I wear footy socks. They're fine under wellies, and the wellies don't rub your skin. Of course, maybe, just maybe, we won't need wellies!

Edited by markrkp

I doubled up on socks last year with wellies and got by pretty well, hoping that I won't need the wellies this year but will probably be doing the same again. I'll probably go with a fresh pair of comfortable socks each day with another thicker pair over the top to prevent rubbing, plus some gel insoles in the wellies if necessary to make walking around more comfortable. If it's not muddy I'll probably stick with the converse shoes I wore last time on the Thursday/Friday, again with comfortable socks!

Those Mountain Warehouse ones look good value at £6.49. Does anyone know if these are any good? Wouldn't mind some of the 1000 mile ones but they're a bit pricey.

100% fine, have been using several pairs as daily use landscaping/gardening workwear for years and a few festivals thrown in

less cool name though.