WOMAD 2014

Guest Pinhead

Apparently no Oxfam Stewarding for this festival this year due to budgetary concerns.

http://oxfam-stewards.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11430

maybe if womad didn't have the old bill forcing their very unnecessary and expensive protection racket onto the festival then the festival might have a bit more money for decent stewarding. ;)

Protecting all those Tories in nearby Malmesbury perhaps, though they increasingly do this for all festivals now don't they forcing up costs - perhaps its the way they plan to dictate what festivals get to survive in the future or not.

BTW - Oxfam have added Bearded Theory to their list of festivals covered by their stewarding operation. Considering this strongly this year...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

From the official website -

On-site Box Office Opening Times:

• Thursday 24 July 2014 – 8am-11pm
  • Friday 25 July 2014 – 8am-11pm
  • Saturday 26 July 2014 – 9am-6pm
  • Sunday 27 July 2014 – 9am-5pm

The Box Office is by Purple Gate http://womad.co.uk/site-map/

I can't see it being a problem getting a Child Ticket on the day.

Cheers for that :)

• 2 weeks later...

1 thing I liked there 2012 when it was hot was the Arboretum, made for a great escape into shade & some very nice specimens to be amazed by & gaze at. Trombone Shorty did a thing at the end of the set I saw where they all changed instruments, not being able to pick a string or even rattle a tambourine myself I found that pretty impressive by itself. Anyway thanks for reply & hope I can go next year, I really enjoyed the last 2 years there. Last year more so than Glastonbury for some reason I can't figure on.

Edited by whisty

• 2 weeks later...

I received the following email update on 31st July:

"What a festival! What a weekend! We WOMAD crew are still celebrating our first sell out festival ever at Charlton Park, and we absolutely have you to thank! Right from the gates opening at 8 on Thursday morning to the final stragglers leaving on Monday, you made WOMAD what it was.

You danced and ate and talked and listened and learned and filled every corner of WOMAD Charlton Park with colours and vibrancy. And finally, when all was over, you left taking everything with you, leaving the cleanest post festival campsite around. We are proud to have you as our festival goers, so give yourselves a good pat on the back folks."

Good to know that they sold out, I guess the weather helped, despite this it didn't feel more crowded to me than previous years. I wasn't too fussed about the line-up this year, but still had some pleasant surprises (ie Catrin Finch & Seckou Keita at the Siam tent Friday night). Missed quite a few things I wanted to see, but that's what going with kids does to you.... all the children we went with had an absolute blast and want to go again, that's one mission accomplished, then.

And the campsite really did look amazingly tidy when we left on Monday (mid-day) - it can be done.