Spotify's New Policies

Guest Banana Co

Spotify was brought to my attention by a (one of the many) former posters on here.

I was amazed you could listen for free..its great afaic.

I cant believe the way people are moaning and groaning because of the changes.

Its easy to see why they`ve had to make the changes...nowt is completely free is it..and why should it be.

OTOH-- I dont think it is worth 10 shakles a month mind. The problem I have with it is that it simply eats up my 3GB allowance up like a monkey in a fruit market.

den

Spotify was brought to my attention by a (one of the many) former posters on here.

I was amazed you could listen for free..its great afaic.

I cant believe the way people are moaning and groaning because of the changes.

Its easy to see why they`ve had to make the changes...nowt is completely free is it..and why should it be.

OTOH-- I dont think it is worth 10 shakles a month mind. The problem I have with it is that it simply eats up my 3GB allowance up like a monkey in a fruit market.

den

Who was moaning.

I just upgraded to Premium about 2 weeks ago.

I was a fairly heavy user of the free service for a while, and simply got bored of the ads.

Completely understand the change of service happening, I read last year that Spotify wasn't making any profit - so it absolutely makes sense that they tighten up the free service and try to get people onto the pay service.

I use it primarily at work - work offshore, in a control room for 12 hours... now that I've started using it, it's essential. If I hadn't upgraded to premium before this change, I would be doing it now the change has come in.

I signed up for premium recently, before they announced the changes. If you have a phone that it can be used on then £10 a month is a bargain. I have it on my iphone and sync offside playlists into my ipod library.

All that music, for the price of one cd a month. I think it's perfectly reasonable. Amongst the majority of users of this perticular website it isn't an issue, but people as a whole need to go back to accepting the only future for musical releases is actually paying for them. A low cost servce to stream music is what everyone was after a few years ago.

i used to pay the 10 quid a m onth for it when my phone was working, was a god send as my itunes and hard drive crashed and i couldn't be bothered to re organize my ipod so i just used spotify on the phone.

Im not on the 5 quid unlimited deal, which i think is worth it for a month.

Knew this was coming. It's not Spotify's fault. Capitalism is just an insatiable beast. For a start, Spotify was just a good thing, I never expected it to last in such a toxic world. I'm not surprised at all by this.

Have no problems paying for music, especially in this case since Premium is like buying one single album every month - but you get unlimited music here. Just don't buy that stupid t-shirt with the stupid slogan on it, next month don't buy something else that's equally worthless and stupid. I dunno.

But what a shame this couldn't remain free. The free aspect was a big deal. I mean, just because someone listens to a track for free doesn't mean the artist won't receive some money from that supposedly "lost" sale. The person that listened for free could decide to go to a gig, and they get money that way. The free side is the artist getting their foot in their door. It's still there but it'll be capped, meaning the free exploration will be limited.

Still, none of this matters because when I upgrade to my iPhone I will require an upgrade if I want Spotify anyway, so for me personally it's fine.

Edited by Purple Monkey

If you've heard one song 5 times in a month you've had enough time to decide if you're going buy it or listen to more and see them live. I don't see the free services uses being restricted from that kind of user.

I've got to say, I expected a hypocritical backlash from the net, but everywhere I've gone people are saying they're happy to pay. I'm very suprised.

Can I tape a record from Spotify?

den

as others have said, people need to get used to the idea of paying something for music

it's strange to think that for my sisters generation, the ability to get a song for free whether it be from youtube, torrents or Spotify has always been around since they were computer savvy, there has never been a time since they could use the internet in which they COULDN'T listen to a song they wanted to, when they wanted, for free :huh:

If you've heard one song 5 times in a month you've had enough time to decide if you're going buy it or listen to more and see them live. I don't see the free services uses being restricted from that kind of user.

I've got to say, I expected a hypocritical backlash from the net, but everywhere I've gone people are saying they're happy to pay. I'm very suprised.