End of the road festival 2008

Guest zahidf

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, to get the same train and hope i can get on a bus pretty much straight away with my friend, or to get an earlier train... I'm thinking I should get an earlier train...

I'm going to buy some new wellies tomorrow. That way it shouldn't rain <_<

2 days!!! How much are drinks by the way? Im trying to decide how much money to take...

Hmm, to get the same train and hope i can get on a bus pretty much straight away with my friend, or to get an earlier train... I'm thinking I should get an earlier train...

I'm going to buy some new wellies tomorrow. That way it shouldn't rain <_<

2 days!!! How much are drinks by the way? Im trying to decide how much money to take...

Okay... Cheers, Swindlebiscuit!!

Aw it looks like there's a clash between Laura Marling and Micah P Hinson...really wanted to see both. Is it pretty easy to hop from the different stages?I'll stop with the questions soon.. i'm just excited!

Any last minute tips/discoveries

For me the new Dead Meadow album is a big step up for them--a big swirling psychedelic rock album.Over a thousand people turned up to watch them at green man last year so it could be a tight squeeze.

The Miserable rich--never heard of them before this festival but their album has rapidly become a favourite--the new single P##shead is excellent and i hope they perform their cover of hot chips over and over.

Hush the many--not on the listings but i think their one of the late night bands--last year i thought their performance was one of the highlights--so much more upbeat than their myspace indicates.

Good tips blackplanet8...my knowledge is low on all three so will try to do some last minute "homework" before Friday <_<

For me the following three albums have been on constant repeat recently:

Denis Jones - Humdrum Virtue

Nearly saw him at Great Escape but unfortunately his guitar battery was dead! A modern one man band with a nice accented voice and a real ear for melody...Slumber and Water are the standout tracks but all worth a listen...he is on late on Sunday in The Local...looking forward to it.

Bowerbirds - Hymns for a Dark Horse

Completely blown away by this band...check them out on Youtube "My Oldest Memory"...walking through the world playing beautiful music! Will be a highlight for me early on Saturday.

Shearwater - Rook

Discovered this band very recently but already ordered Palo Santo to check out earlier offerings. A haunting mix of glockenspiel, harp and voice which will be ideal for a post "Dark Is Rising" come down!

I also rate Seabear and Friska Viljor highly but unfortunately they clash with Bon Iver on Saturday...tough call and still not 100% decided which side I will fall!

Can't wait! :O

Edited by DragKnuckles

Good tips blackplanet8...my knowledge is low on all three so will try to do some last minute "homework" before Friday <_<

For me the following three albums have been on constant repeat recently:

Denis Jones - Humdrum Virtue

Nearly saw him at Great Escape but unfortunately his guitar battery was dead! A modern one man band with a nice accented voice and a real ear for melody...Slumber and Water are the standout tracks but all worth a listen...he is on late on Sunday in The Local...looking forward to it.

Bowerbirds - Hymns for a Dark Horse

Completely blown away by this band...check them out on Youtube "My Oldest Memory"...walking through the world playing beautiful music! Will be a highlight for me early on Saturday.

Shearwater - Rook

Discovered this band very recently but already ordered Palo Santo to check out earlier offerings. A haunting mix of glockenspiel, harp and voice which will be ideal for a post "Dark Is Rising" come down!

I also rate Seabear and Friska Viljor highly but unfortunately they clash with Bon Iver on Saturday...tough call and still not 100% decided which side I will fall!

Can't wait! :D

Edited by William of Walworth

OK, so I now have to add Bowerbirds and Shearwater to my list......... <_<

I'm *loving* Noah and the Whale at the moment.........

Sooooooooo excited :):D:O

Incidentally, I'm part of the anti welly-boot brigade - I find them very hard to walk in in gloopy mud. At Glastonbury last year (the Great Mud Test) I found my £15 Aldi boots were fantastic, dry, warm, comfortable feet all fezzie, the only downside being the mud encrusted laces......... :(

I agree about the local,i thought 2 of the best performances last year were in there---Salter cane and Congregation.

Long drive today so intended to have a lie in but far to excited to sleep--staying in a nearby pub tonight and setting up camp early tomorrow,after a quick beer buying visit to the nearby Tesco.

Just to remind people,the last 2 years its been very cold through the night so take something to keep you warm when the drink wears off.

I personally think he's one of the unmissables of the weekend. His album is gorgeous, but I saw him live at the Great Escape in Brighton and he was incredible.

Another of the "smaller band" recommendations: Sons of Noel and Adrian. Discovered them at EOTR last year. Two lead classical guitarists, big backing band of violin, cello, piano, etc and strange folky songs about ragwort and shipwrecks. On first on the Garden Stage Sunday.

Oh yeah, and if you want to support the EOTR record label, go see The Young Republic and Woodpigeon. I've seen both and they're very good, but in particular the Young Republic.

I think the Saturday night on the main stage is just pure quality from Bon Iver onwards and then a quick dash to Shearwater,

If you do want to see woodpigeon and they clash with someone just be aware they are on again late sunday night.

Long drive for me too so setting off soon and also staying in a local pub, its seems to be the fashion. The Young Republic and BSP on within hours of eachother thats a great day.

Just in case you missed it , The Young Republic are playing both days.