NEXT GEN CONSOLES

Guest tHomBleached

• Replies 15.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question I thought I'd put out to the gaming public of efestivals:

Modern Warfare 2:

I've been on a gaming website, and they were talking about the new Medal of Honour game. Underneath, there are loads of comments saying things like 'I hope we see a TRUE FPS and not another MW2', 'MW2 is simply a mess - let's hope EA have learnt from IW's mistakes', ' thank god! I hate MW2 so much' etc.

I know that I might be blinkered because I love Call of Duty games so much, but surely it's not THAT bad? Why all the merciless slamming of it? Sure, the campaign isn't perfect, and there have been a few glitches in multiplayer (most if not all of which have now been sorted out) but I still think it's a SUPERB game, even if it's only multiplayer.

Why the hell is it hated so much? It's a bit like a band who become popular, and is therefore hated as a result.

If you don't like FPS games, or if you only have the single player mode to focus on (no XBL/PSN to utilise) then I could understand. But it's a good game. Surely? Isn't it??? :P

Have I missed something here?

I have a question I thought I'd put out to the gaming public of efestivals:

Modern Warfare 2:

I've been on a gaming website, and they were talking about the new Medal of Honour game. Underneath, there are loads of comments saying things like 'I hope we see a TRUE FPS and not another MW2', 'MW2 is simply a mess - let's hope EA have learnt from IW's mistakes', ' thank god! I hate MW2 so much' etc.

I know that I might be blinkered because I love Call of Duty games so much, but surely it's not THAT bad? Why all the merciless slamming of it? Sure, the campaign isn't perfect, and there have been a few glitches in multiplayer (most if not all of which have now been sorted out) but I still think it's a SUPERB game, even if it's only multiplayer.

Why the hell is it hated so much? It's a bit like a band who become popular, and is therefore hated as a result.

If you don't like FPS games, or if you only have the single player mode to focus on (no XBL/PSN to utilise) then I could understand. But it's a good game. Surely? Isn't it??? :P

Have I missed something here?

Well it was on CVG. They like a bit of fan-boi twattishness over there, I've noticed.

But I honestly don't get what they're on about.

Oh - unless they're on about the dedicated servers malarky (which Ralph the Stat tried to explain to me a few months back), but I'm fairly sure they're referring to the 360 version.

Zero Puntuation explained it quite well but referring to consoles. Most people can only afford one and so in a desperate attempt to reassure themselves they bought the right one they become this fan-boy idiot who insists what he has is best and everything else therefore is shit.

With MW2 you're almost certainly reading the comments of people who were busy playing Halo 3 or some such game when MW2 came out and because they've already devoted 100+ hours of the last 6 months to it they insist it's shit to justify why they still play said game so much.

It's stupid. It's people who don't understand you can like more than 1 thing at a time.

Edited by Langdale Wolf

MW2 is FPS-by-numbers. But Medal of Honor has always been shite, so I don't think they can claim it's any better.

And what exactly is an FPS not done by the numbers? FPS is what it is. They've found little room for diviation since Wolfenstein. You are a gun wobbling left to right at the bottom of the screen and you kill shit.

Modern Warfare brings together what is by its very nature is generic and does it better than anyone else has probably ever. We all know how addictive FPS games are, especially in online death-matches. One will always be the best of the time, before COD4 it was Counter Strike, before that Quake, before that Unreal, and so on.

Take it or leave it throw away game play to mimic the kind of addictive thrill people used to get from Tetris. MW2 is the top of it's game, which just so happens to be a very predictable game.

The various stores got their usual update today, one of which was the Ultimate Team expansion for Fifa 10. I've been looking forward to this one for a while. It's how online play in a football game should be. Pick your best 11 from the whole footballing world and take them online. :P

Also, for those with a PS3, the God of War 3 demo from last years E3 is available. Those with the GOW:Collection will have already played it, but its damn good so everyone else should definitely find the time to play it.

Well it was on CVG. They like a bit of fan-boi twattishness over there, I've noticed.

But I honestly don't get what they're on about.

Oh - unless they're on about the dedicated servers malarky (which Ralph the Stat tried to explain to me a few months back), but I'm fairly sure they're referring to the 360 version.

Actually, epic fail on my part.

I took my Xbox to my mates last week, so we could do some major co op. Got f**ked up along the way and what has happened I've picked up his xbox, he's picked up mine and obviously the hard drives are mixed up.

Dont drink and game kids.

Erm... onyl problem is now i've downloaded all the AC2 and Borderlands content onto my mates Hard Drive. Epic fail. :P

Actually, epic fail on my part.

I took my Xbox to my mates last week, so we could do some major co op. Got f**ked up along the way and what has happened I've picked up his xbox, he's picked up mine and obviously the hard drives are mixed up.

Dont drink and game kids.

Erm... onyl problem is now i've downloaded all the AC2 and Borderlands content onto my mates Hard Drive. Epic fail. :P