poll to get me into the disabled area in glastonbury

Guest miss star

do you think i should be allowed into the disabled area even though im not permantly disabled  

125 members have voted

1. 1. check out the body of writing to see the full story behind this poll

• yes miss star should have access to disabled area
    • no - no access to disabled area
    • refund on ticket only
    • hard luck - no refund - no access

Congratulations!

Common sense looks to have prevailed.

I think that although you perhaps you should maybe have limited access to disabled facilities (i.e. you can use them until the become full - with regards to viewing platforms etc) the organisers should not be dismissing your disability because it is temporary.

I almost missed out two years ago with a broken collar bone, but luckily it healed enough by the time the festie started - was touch and go tho. Didn't fancy carrying my rucksack on so got a few mates to help :lol:

Fingers crossed we dont have a mud bath like last time, and I hope you get well soon.

Enjoy.

A bit late now, because it's already sorted, however from what I could tell, campping in the disabled field didn't really 'offer' much over camping elsewhere.

What the disabled facility did offer was a minibus that drove from the disabled carpark to the camping area.

I was with someone that was on crutches (broken hip still recovering) the people running it where happy to drop us off where we wanted to camp - though obviously we had to sort out getting back ourselves at the end (which meant me carrying my mates stuff.)

When I had gone back to our car to get some more stuff I was offered a lift back in, in the bus - which I felt a bit guilty about accepting, so made a point of helping all and sundry with their bags etc, seeing that I am a (relatively :lol: ) fit and healthy bloke.

Had you not got in to the disabled bit, I would have suggested finding one of the people on push bike style taxi thingies and seeing if they could help you.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat. I must my ankle at Isle of Wight festival. I hoped it would be walkable and it is, for minor spells, but with this Glasto going to be a mud bath again (simply nor traversable for me in any way), I'm screwed.

I got no response from Glasto about it. No possibility of a refund. Completely gutted. I hope my pal is happy to go by himself :-(

Edited by Lurks

Your going to go lurks and see what happens thou? it might not be as bad as we think it is going to be - I know if it is muddy im going to be a bit screwed too as I have a chronic fatigue thing/muscle problem - so even sunny day walking is hard but mud ploughing will make things impossible - im still going thou - if it does get really muddy it means ill not get around all the places i had wanted to but im sure ill make the best of it - wherever i am there. If your not getting a refund you might as well go. Im thinking of taking a walking pole with me - maybe some crutches would be good?? and a seat of course for rests. Lets hope for the best ?

I was off my feet and on crutches at the festival a few years ago. Didn't ask about disabled camping... didn't need it really, but did manage to get a disabled parking pass with no bother.

Do GF know you're now in a wheelchair? Surely that counts as disabled now!

Yeah my pal has talked me into it. But rather than heading down tomorrow morning in his car, I'm going to take my own car (I've also got a car ticket) on Friday depending on how I mend. The only shitter about this is that he's going to get a tent spot in our usual great place above the pyramid stage on high ground and I'll clearly not get anywhere near there at a late stage, meaning a loooong walk to my tent. As a festival vet I do have a sack truck though and without my missus gear on it, it should be fairly light and hopefully not to tricky to push...

The crutches aint a bad idea actually because then no matter the state of my ankle I could get around. I've only got a stick right now. My gut feeling tells me the stick will be fine for a few hours and then I'll be screwed and will need crutches. Hmm, where to get a pair of crutches I wonder.

Edited by Lurks

Im not an expert but id imagine theyd give you a pair (crutches)if you go to your local hospital or nhs walk in jobbie - (possibly even your docs but not sure)? Cant your dear friend take pretty much all of your stuff for you and set you up. Then you just get yourself there on Friday. Hed be a very very nice man if he did. Good that your going.

• 1 year later...

Hey,

Aaarrr bless!! I broke my back 8 months ago and now am paralysed and in a wheelchair and going to Glasters for my first festival on wheels, to be honest I can't wait. I'm planning on camping in Pennards with my mates as understandably the disabled camping is only for small groups of people and not my crew of 20

The festival organisers were amazingly helpful wtih my questions - they deal with a lot of poeple so please don't expect them to change the world just for you... I'll need a bit of help getting through the muddy sections but hopefully buying a set of offroad wheels but I'm lucky to have a good bunch of mates to get me about.

It's easy to adpot the "victim" position but as a guy who has been paralysed for 20 years told me at during my 4 months in hospital "no one likes a whingeing cripple", turn up with the right attitude, people at festivals are super helpful especially if you don't expect of them. If anything it'll be a right laugh.... Bling up you're set of wheels, if anyone sees an off road monster pair of tyres with spokey dokeys, fairy lights, come over and say "hi" and I'll give you a shot of vodka from the optics hanging off the back :-)

I don't want to get involved in "I'm more disabled than you" argument cos I'd basically win haha but we choose our attitudes - go out be positive and have fun

Paul X

I disagree with a previous poster, Glasto is NOT a music fesitval, it is a festival of performing arts, but that is were my disagreement ends with that person.

Being disabled means that you have some kind of restriction to your physical mobility, not a sore fingernail, something that will stop you doing day to day things.

I think you should be granted access to those areas if you have informed the festival beforehand and have a signed note from your GP which you are willing to have copied otherwise everyone COULD do the disabilty thing. I also think that any decision should be made on the pre-defined registered disabled... if there is room for you then no reason not to include you. But if the disabled access if full then maybe not.

I will always remember seeing and AMAZING woman in a wheelchair trying to get through the mud years ago. I offered to help and she said "no".

Respect the wishes of the site staff though and remember... Glasto (if the weather is bad) can be tough for alot of people. So much so that those people often leave early... and I mean Saturday. So please keep in mind that they have to be strict on the rules to make sure nobody tries it on.

I hope you have a good Glasto if you decide to go, remember that I will help you out and so will ALOT of others.

Sorry, don't want to bump the ancient thread again but just wanted to point out that a disability does not have to mean you have a restriction to your Physical mobility. It can also apply to people who are on the Autism Spectrum for example, at any end of it from Aspergers down to low functioning. There are also other things as well that aren't physical. Sorry, not a dig but a real pet hate of mine which is why I felt the need to mention!

Sorry, don't want to bump the ancient thread again but just wanted to point out that a disability does not have to mean you have a restriction to your Physical mobility. It can also apply to people who are on the Autism Spectrum for example, at any end of it from Aspergers down to low functioning. There are also other things as well that aren't physical. Sorry, not a dig but a real pet hate of mine which is why I felt the need to mention!

That's a very good point, thank you for bringing it up. My daughter is severely autistic and I have had some real shit in the past by people saying she 'looks normal', judging her behaviour, laughing and taking the piss etc. She's a 12 year old child and grown adults think it's ok to stare at her and judge me as some sort of shit parent or something. Disability can also mean mental illnesses, which people seem to forget too, I pray for the day when everyone is accepted.

Rollingpaulo, do you go to Leeds fest too? I've seen a guy who goes there every year who has a pimped power chair, last year he had massive pneumatic wheels, they were awesome :ph34r:

Whilst i agree with you about every disability being different and not always visible - I have 3 kids all with minor traits on the mild end of the autisic spectrum and my daughter is specislising in autism at uni.

I think the point is for the purpose of a festival a disability is usually considered as a mobility problem ie the need for help to get around.

Whilst i agree with you about every disability being different and not always visible - I have 3 kids all with minor traits on the mild end of the autisic spectrum and my daughter is specislising in autism at uni.

I think the point is for the purpose of a festival a disability is usually considered as a mobility problem ie the need for help to get around.

hehe...wasn't very clear in that last post.

In a nut shell: not sure if in terms of festival they only consider mobility when thinking of these things as never experienced the facilities, however they certainly shouldn't only consider mobility as an issue as people with non-physical disabilities can be registered disabled. Actually, I would be very disappointed if Glastonbury only considered mobility issues and ignored the difficulties experienced by those with other disabilities.

I agree with you entirely.

I have seen people using disabled camping with sight and other sensory problems at other festis than Glastonbury, and I certainly wouldnt begrudge anybody with a child using disabled toilets at any festival.

Another problem with disability issues is that often at festivals they are only allowed in the case of Glastonbry a 4 man tent and 3 acompanying them. This would be impossible for me because I have a phisicaly disabled husband and 3 kids.

Viewing platforms only give passes for the disabled person and carer - What do I then do with my three kids let them wander off on their own.

Basically things like this are a very personal issue and a minefield for organisers and festival goers which is why I stick to the smaller festivals like Beautiful Days which I know is small enough for us all to cope with both its size and crowd issues and read the Glasto forums so i can dream and plan my trip for the future with my kids(not the old man) now they are teenagers.

I agree with you entirely.

I have seen people using disabled camping with sight and other sensory problems at other festis than Glastonbury, and I certainly wouldnt begrudge anybody with a child using disabled toilets at any festival.

Another problem with disability issues is that often at festivals they are only allowed in the case of Glastonbry a 4 man tent and 3 acompanying them. This would be impossible for me because I have a phisicaly disabled husband and 3 kids.

Viewing platforms only give passes for the disabled person and carer - What do I then do with my three kids let them wander off on their own.

Basically things like this are a very personal issue and a minefield for organisers and festival goers which is why I stick to the smaller festivals like Beautiful Days which I know is small enough for us all to cope with both its size and crowd issues and read the Glasto forums so i can dream and plan my trip for the future with my kids(not the old man) now they are teenagers.

Laura, I won't be bringing my daughter to Glastonbury, sadly she wouldn't be able to cope with the noise, the crowds etc. she would be in complete sensory overload the whole time. This would cause her to become overexciteable, easily upset and impossible to handle :unsure: She wouldn't cope with sleeping in a tent and could do a runner, it's simply too risky :lol: Even the little things would be a problem, like making her wear a wristband, and her diet is so restricted it would be impossible to cater for her, as eclectic as the food stalls are. She has no sense of danger and no communication skills so if she got lost she'd be very vulnerable and wouldn't be able to ask for help. So yeah, it's my break from reality :P

On a more general point, there can also be issues with a lot of people with autism related conditions and mental illnesses around personal care, sometimes they may not have full continence so would need somewhere easily accessible and private so that they can get changed and preserve their dignity. They may need carers to help them with physical problems, even though they are not physically disabled, they can have equally as many difficulties with caring for themselves. They could become confused and overwhelmed and need a quiet, safe place to go to calm down, otherwise there could be problems with behaviour, so their carers would rely on having their safe place being close by and easily accessible to help manage things. So yes, I do believe they should be entitled to use disabled camping facilities.

Laura, I won't be bringing my daughter to Glastonbury, sadly she wouldn't be able to cope with the noise, the crowds etc. she would be in complete sensory overload the whole time. This would cause her to become overexciteable, easily upset and impossible to handle :unsure: She wouldn't cope with sleeping in a tent and could do a runner, it's simply too risky :lol: Even the little things would be a problem, like making her wear a wristband, and her diet is so restricted it would be impossible to cater for her, as eclectic as the food stalls are. She has no sense of danger and no communication skills so if she got lost she'd be very vulnerable and wouldn't be able to ask for help. So yeah, it's my break from reality :P

On a more general point, there can also be issues with a lot of people with autism related conditions and mental illnesses around personal care, sometimes they may not have full continence so would need somewhere easily accessible and private so that they can get changed and preserve their dignity. They may need carers to help them with physical problems, even though they are not physically disabled, they can have equally as many difficulties with caring for themselves. They could become confused and overwhelmed and need a quiet, safe place to go to calm down, otherwise there could be problems with behaviour, so their carers would rely on having their safe place being close by and easily accessible to help manage things. So yes, I do believe they should be entitled to use disabled camping facilities.