Flag Building tips

Guest thazlewood

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well looking at a solar panel linky

to charge up 12v 10A/h lead acid battery.......

Attached to lead acid battery, will be a car cig socket ( to plug in car mobile phone charger),12v tent light.,Camp funk sign, Tent flasher... and other various things.

The battery will be protected by a circuit breaker just in case of a short, and the solar panel will be mounted half way up the pole....

Just thinking about this, but the pain from my prolapsed spinal disk is persuading me to travel light this year :P so might put it on hold.

Hope that helps

Well looking at a solar panel linky

to charge up 12v 10A/h lead acid battery.......

Attached to lead acid battery, will be a car cig socket ( to plug in car mobile phone charger),12v tent light.,Camp funk sign, Tent flasher... and other various things.

The battery will be protected by a circuit breaker just in case of a short, and the solar panel will be mounted half way up the pole....

Just thinking about this, but the pain from my prolapsed spinal disk is persuading me to travel light this year :P so might put it on hold.

Hope that helps

Flag number 2 (of 2 - don't worry, I'm not going to keep churning out the buggers) has just been completed. I got some iron-on printer paper and, after an hour and a half's ironing, I present my version of Something Awful's 'awesome' emote:

flag_emot.jpg

It didn't come out 100% perfect - not all the sheets lined up perfectly, some of the ink looks like it could peel and some has gone blotchy - but I'll just have to see how she flies. Oh yeah, and I wish I'd remembered to mirror it :P.

Flag number 2 (of 2 - don't worry, I'm not going to keep churning out the buggers) has just been completed. I got some iron-on printer paper and, after an hour and a half's ironing, I present my version of Something Awful's 'awesome' emote:

flag_emot.jpg

It didn't come out 100% perfect - not all the sheets lined up perfectly, some of the ink looks like it could peel and some has gone blotchy - but I'll just have to see how she flies. Oh yeah, and I wish I'd remembered to mirror it :P.

I'd get one of the 3m poles from skyblue if I were you, failing that you could use an old tent pole from a dome tent. I hope you're not going to wave the flag in front of the Pyramid all weekend, are you?

By the way - your Chas & Dave flag - bravo! :P

Horrror of horrors! After testing my four metre set up on the Downs, I went to get it out the other day and realised the thinnest section (the top one) had disappeared. Now, I'd already decided to replace it with a five metre version for my main flag, but was planning putting one of the banner flags from sky blue on the four metre pole. Do you think I could get away with using a thin telescopic tent pole or garden cane in place of the thinnest section, bearing in mind it only needs to be a couple of foot long?

I've finally got my flag stuff. I have an 8 meter telescopic pole and several blank flags. I'll also be getting some lights and stuff when I get paid.

There's been lot's of suggestions made in this thread on how to get the design on the flag. I'm still not sure which is best... Has anybody had any disasters?

I'm thinking that Thermal transfer is the way to go and there shouldn't be a problem with the material being polyester as contrary to common belief, nylon and polyester can withstand the heat of an iron (when ripstock nylon is made it is heat pressed to bind it). Apparently dye sublimation is ideal for use on polyester, but unfortunately I don't have any sublimation inks or a heat press, I may go investigate at my local t-shirt printing place to find out if this is faesible and cost-effective. I found a really interesting link (Here) which suggests drawing the design in wax crayons and then ironing it as it will "bleed" into the fabric and cand withstand the wash... Has anybody had any experience doing this? I will give it a go if i can find some spare polyester somewhere.

G

As Borris said a few (hundred) pages back, this thread warms the cockles of me heart! So much so I've taken my lurkers hat of to add my 2 pence worth.

In the mid nineties I used space blankets, I mentioned this years ago but have since scanned a few old photographs. Note the cheap bamboo can and tie raps keeping the pole to the fence. Space blankets are really tough and with simple logo made with electricians tape, it’s still a cheap and easy viable method to be used to day.

starflag.jpg

99flag.jpg

As for the lights on top of the pole, how about those small LED lights you get for bicycle lamps. Take the innards out, add more or bigger batteries and they will last 5 days easily. Put the resulting contents in a small water bottle (evians good!) to finish off, paint the bottle with your choice of nail varnish.

About five years ago before LED’s were so cheap I made the above out two old road work lamps.

/index.php?s=&showtopic=2059&view=findpost&p=61246">>>>See this Post for Pictures<<< They still work today!

Incidently, the above thread was strted by Borris 5 years ago!

I don't mean to flood this topic, but I'm at work so I'm posting one bit ot a time....

There's been lot's of suggestions made in this thread on how to get the design on the flag. I'm still not sure which is best...

About five years ago before LED’s were so cheap I made the above out two old road work lamps.

/index.php?s=&showtopic=2059&view=findpost&p=61246">>>>See this Post for Pictures<<< They still work today!

As for the lights on top of the pole, how about those small LED lights you get for bicycle lamps. Take the innards out, add more or bigger batteries and they will last 5 days easily. Put the resulting contents in a small water bottle (evians good!) to finish off, paint the bottle with your choice of nail varnish.

According to the cateye website, their cheapo led lights will last for 'up to 150 hours'. I think that means that if you use duracell batteries and put the light on flash it'll last for over 6 days non-stop. Bigger batteries not required! I find cateye lights to be highly weather-proof so I think you'd be fine just strapping one to your pole without any extra protection.

If anyone's wondering, you can get the TL LD 130 for £6.79.