END OF THE ROAD FESTIVAL

Guest Ginger Monkey

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good festival, cant fault it at all.

Beautiful view in the morning when crawling out of the tent, everything was so close to everything else.

The Brakes and I'm from Barcelona were the highlights of the weekend for me :lol:

Nice to met the other efest members that we saw around about.

So yeah really really enjoyed it, same time next year I belive!! lol

I will get my pics of the camera this evening or tommorw and post them.

andrew

what a brilliant fest!!!!

ill write a bit later when i can bothered!! :lol:

What an absolutely perfect festival and definately one of the hightlights of the season for me, it's right up there on a par with Greenman. :D

Musically, I really enjoyed Midlake, Super Furry Animals (who played an awesome set with Gruff on top form between the songs :) ), The Bees, Brakes, I'm from Barcelona (who must have had the biggest crowd of the weekend and thoroughly deserved it), Lambchop, Howe Gelb, Herman Dune (although tiamaria will disagree with me on this one), Misty's Big Adventure (always perfect and even got to buy the new album before it's officially released! :D ), The Broken Family Band (also on top form, it was Jay's birthday and the band bought him an elephant mask which he wore thoughout a song, although the amount of sweat pouring off him after must have made him regret that decision! :lol: ), Stephanie Dosen and Woven Hand to name but a few.

Was slightly disappointed with The Concretes, who just seemed bored. Yo La Tengo were an aquired taste although copious amounts of vodka and pear cider may have had it's effect by then :D and Joan as Policewoman I just didn't get. Although the biggest disappointment was the amount of excellent music you just had to miss because you were already listening to equally good stuff on a different stage. :lol:

The setting of the festival can't be bettered. The lush lawned natural ampitheatre of the Garden Stage, the peaceful healing gardens, the little pathed walks where you come accross the most surprising little things like the Tree of Knowledge, Teddy Bear picnic, the paino, the grotto with it's fairy lights, and beautiful peacocks with chicks roaming through the audience looking for a free meal.

It was nice to see a festival that had been so well thought out with the punter in mind. The Oxfam stewards were really helpful and so were the security guys. I think this must have rubbed off on the punters too as they were the most polite festy crowd I've ever seen. Plenty of water taps on site, toilets and urinals were plentiful, clean, and always stocked with loo roll and hand sanitiser. Plenty of bars and there was never a long queue at any of them. Car park to camping ground wasn't too far, although I was really thankful for my little trolley as it was quite hilly.

Only little grumble I have was at the lack of eating establishments around the site as they nearly always had long queues, which meant either eating or catching another band. I nearly always chose the band option. More food stalls next year please!

The e-fests meet, what happened? Turned up at the Ciderbus at 1.15 and couldn't see the flag or any large groups of people that looked slighly dodgy! Had a pint with tiamaria and sat on the blocks for about 30 mins before giving up and wandering off to watch the end of Hush the Many. Perhaps next year?

A most excellent festival, highly recommended and I'll certainly be selling going next year to all my festy mates. I just hope it doesn't grow too big and lose some of it's quality.

Thanks for the comments everyone....

Glad (?) there was a confusion over the meet up- i felt bad that i didnt get to go and see you all...i was there but didnt know who you were!

If anyone is interested my hilights were, in no particular order

* Herman dune, turner cody and the wave pictures playing for an hour by the piano in the woods. So relexed and friendly, it felt like everyone was old friends-thanks to everyone involved

* Josh t Pearson- The voice of the angels, from texas- Always sends a chill down my spine

*Super Furries playing tracks off mwng-HOT CIDER!

*Euros Childs- 'Now we're going to be like the pet shop boys and play synths. Except Neil tenant didn't play keyboard- and I do.

*Seeing Young Republic play to a packed local tent by the end of the festival

* Chelsea Hotel Number 2 by lambchop

* Seasick Steve

* Hell- all of it

*all of you and everyone being so nice and friendly- see you next year!

ro

My last big summer weekend and possibly the best one! So many little touches that went towards making it special. Such a laid back, friendly crowd too. Everyone I spoke to, either through my Oxfam stewarding thing or through my drunken wandering around the site, was lovely (as far as I can remember, the memory's a bit hazy).

My musical highlights - Brakes, SFA, Lambchop, Broken Family Band (who I'd never heard before but really enjoyed), Jens Lekman, Malcolm Middleton, Darren Hayman, I'm From Barcelona (pity about the sound though). Oh, and whoever it was who was at the piano around about the time Lambchop came on - anyone know?

Ahh I also had a lovely time. I'm knackered though. Didn't make it to the meet, walked past but didn't recognise anyone. Phone battery had died by friday morning!

Erm the best thing I saw was...the sunrise on sunday morning. Beautiful :lol:

What an absolutely perfect festival and definately one of the hightlights of the season for me, it's right up there on a par with Greenman. :D

Musically, I really enjoyed Midlake, Super Furry Animals (who played an awesome set with Gruff on top form between the songs :D ), The Bees, Brakes, I'm from Barcelona (who must have had the biggest crowd of the weekend and thoroughly deserved it), Lambchop, Howe Gelb, Herman Dune (although tiamaria will disagree with me on this one), Misty's Big Adventure (always perfect and even got to buy the new album before it's officially released! :D ), The Broken Family Band (also on top form, it was Jay's birthday and the band bought him an elephant mask which he wore thoughout a song, although the amount of sweat pouring off him after must have made him regret that decision! :) ), Stephanie Dosen and Woven Hand to name but a few.

Was slightly disappointed with The Concretes, who just seemed bored. Yo La Tengo were an aquired taste although copious amounts of vodka and pear cider may have had it's effect by then :lol: and Joan as Policewoman I just didn't get. Although the biggest disappointment was the amount of excellent music you just had to miss because you were already listening to equally good stuff on a different stage. :lol:

The setting of the festival can't be bettered. The lush lawned natural ampitheatre of the Garden Stage, the peaceful healing gardens, the little pathed walks where you come accross the most surprising little things like the Tree of Knowledge, Teddy Bear picnic, the paino, the grotto with it's fairy lights, and beautiful peacocks with chicks roaming through the audience looking for a free meal.

It was nice to see a festival that had been so well thought out with the punter in mind. The Oxfam stewards were really helpful and so were the security guys. I think this must have rubbed off on the punters too as they were the most polite festy crowd I've ever seen. Plenty of water taps on site, toilets and urinals were plentiful, clean, and always stocked with loo roll and hand sanitiser. Plenty of bars and there was never a long queue at any of them. Car park to camping ground wasn't too far, although I was really thankful for my little trolley as it was quite hilly.

Only little grumble I have was at the lack of eating establishments around the site as they nearly always had long queues, which meant either eating or catching another band. I nearly always chose the band option. More food stalls next year please!

The e-fests meet, what happened? Turned up at the Ciderbus at 1.15 and couldn't see the flag or any large groups of people that looked slighly dodgy! Had a pint with tiamaria and sat on the blocks for about 30 mins before giving up and wandering off to watch the end of Hush the Many. Perhaps next year?

A most excellent festival, highly recommended and I'll certainly be selling going next year to all my festy mates. I just hope it doesn't grow too big and lose some of it's quality.

Awesome festival. Just got back after 5 hours of driving around the south of England, so will keep this brief.

BSP as brilliant as ever - loved the robots and the giant bear.

Jens Lekman was surprisingly great.

Josh T Pearson sounded lovely, shame I missed most of his set and also people were talking throughout.

Napoleon IIIrd were excellent.

Brakes, entertaining as usual.

30 lbs of Bone were good too.

Lots of other good bands etc.

BUT - please get some more food stalls next year, the queues were ridiculous. What's wrong with having just a normal, cheap burger van by the way? I realise there was lots of variety in the food stalls that were there, but there certainly wasn't a cheaptastic option. Food queues made me angry, and the prices made me more angry. £4 for a pie... lame!

Other than that, good job EOTR, superbly organised and thoroughly enjoyable!

Yes I've got your text now my phone is back and charging! My friend was camped really near your flag and I went over at one point and said hello to your neighbours. Probably a good idea you weren't in as my friend kept getting me really mashed :lol:

BUT - please get some more food stalls next year, the queues were ridiculous. What's wrong with having just a normal, cheap burger van by the way? I realise there was lots of variety in the food stalls that were there, but there certainly wasn't a cheaptastic option. Food queues made me angry, and the prices made me more angry. £4 for a pie... lame!

a few more simple/cheap food options would have been good, i agree. especially when you want to feed kids in a hurry. did i see pics of the tea/toast van last year? that would have been good. but don't dis the pies, they were amazing, especially with all the trimmings and a pint of hot cider. mmm mushy peas...

my highlights: broken family band were on cracking form & euros childs was fab too despite the rain. the sound problems and associated delay at the start of the super furries was a big shame - we didn't get to stay to the end (sob at missing stuff from mwng, my fave) so it kinda spoiled their set for us. port o'brien were (was?) a good new introduction and i'm glad charlie parr got an extra set, so more people get to hear him.

what surprised me was the number of people who packed up on sunday - i've never seen such an exodus - and with most of the food stalls running out early it seemed like the whole thing was cut short a bit. the same goes for the start - not letting people in till the friday morning seemed to leave an awful lot of us setting up well into friday. a thursday start would be perfect.

but altogether a great little festie, fully intend to be there again next year (and without a teeny baby so hopefully more chance of catching some new-to-me acts).

cow wee :lol:

What a fantastic weekend. The gardens gave the festival a unique feeling, wonderful surroundings - we absolutely loved the walks through the trees, some great little finds in there, especially the piano! Caught a few of the Barcelonians there having a splendid sing-along on Saturday - complete with more tickertape, it was everywhere!

Musical highlights for me were Midlake, SFA, Seasick Steve among so many others.

Very well organised, the toilets were bearable even by the Sunday, amazing! Only gripe was the queues for food, and most stalls ran out of food by teatime on Sunday, but I was full of cider by then so no real problem!

Not sure if the meet took place, but I would have missed it anyway sorry, I only remembered at 4pm that I was going to pop by!

A wonderful festival, full of friendly people, which I hope returns next year for I will be there.

HOT CIDER!!!

Im working on uploading my pictures at the moment :lol:

I keep remembering little bits of the weekend, what a great weekend, really gives you time to think about stuff because you were not having to dash from one place to another, a little stroll and you were where you wanted to be, and ohh damn I forget something in my tent 5 mins and you are back to the music :lol: love it

I'll echo all of the positive comments above - this was simply an asolutely wonderful festival. It made me look back on this years exhausting, mud-soaked Glastonbury with some pity! Definitely my (and my girlfriend's) favourite festival of the year. Two more certain attendees for next year.

The friendly, relaxed atmosphere was a breath of fresh air. As someone else mentioned, the cheerful, respectful security guards, bar staff and attendants made everything seem very chilled and unhurried. I suppose the old saying of treat people with respect and you'll get respect in return holds true. Someone should teach that to some of the miserable, violent thugs that Glastonbury seems to hire for their security team.

As one of the comedians noted in his set "The End of the Road Festival isn't middle class - it's just NICE!"

Anyway - my highlights:

Seasick Steve - unbelievable charisma. One guy with a couple of broken guitars managed to get the entire crowd eating out of the palm of his hand

Sons of Noel and Adrian - new discovery. Excellent musicians, very distinctive sound.

I'm From Barcelona - Okay, so at times I thought I was watching the Flaming Lips for toddlers, but oh my god did they put on a silly, joyous, tuneful show. Totally brilliant in the sunshine.

Darren Hayman - Managed to see his bluegrass band play at the piano on Saturday too. Legend.

Midlake - great songs, great voice

SFA - well, DUH!

Jens Lekman - surprisingly great, and extra surprising because I didn't expect him to be on when I wandered into the big Top

Monkey Swallows the Universe - rubbish band name, lovely sound. Particularly Jimmy Down the Well!

Lambchop - from what I can remember of them.

Dancing in the Big Top to funk and soul late Sunday night.

The Goan Fish stall.

The Bimble Inn pimms.

The Local.

The proximity of everything and everyone.

Just a great festival.

Congratulations to the organisers - it's a total triumph. long may it continue.

a few more simple/cheap food options would have been good, i agree. especially when you want to feed kids in a hurry. did i see pics of the tea/toast van last year? that would have been good. but don't dis the pies, they were amazing, especially with all the trimmings and a pint of hot cider. mmm mushy peas...