PEARL JAM

Guest Olivavu

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone is forgetting a major point in the Livejamgate debate...

While Pearl Jam, as individuals, may well be the second coming of Jesus Christ Himself and may well end world poverty by encouraging us all to recycle our tissues, they remain effectively controlled by a record company.

Namely, that is Sony, possibly the biggest music publisher in the world.

Now, no matter how much Mr Vedder and his crew may have wanted to release albums for the good of all mankind, a record company will NEVER release something that doesn't pay for itself and then some.

They could cry, stamp their feet, anything, but Sony would never fork out cash unless they thought it was coming back to them, which is exactly what the live albums did.

It's naive to think Sony would have patted the Jammers on the back and gone "sure lads, we'll pay to produce millions of albums and make no money out of it at all...". Not gonna happen.

SONY HALTS PEARL JAM FREEBIE PLANS

Pearl Jam have run into strife with Sony Music over a CD giveaway campaign in the US...

Pearl Jam's plans to give US fans a free live album as a gift accompanying a new video have been stonewalled by Sony Music.

The CD, recorded on their recent Australian tour, was to accompany some 50,000 copies of Single Video Theory, a video of the band shot in their rehearsal rooms in Seattle. The release of the CD was organised through American record chain Best Buy, independently of the band's label, Epic.

According to US website Ticketmaster, the CD was supposed to accompany the videos on sale from yesterday (Tuesday, August 4). The website quoted a story from The Minneapolis Star Tribune which said the band had negotiated directly with Best Buy in the distribution of the CD. The CD was advertised heavily in press.

But Sony lawyers intervened and told the record chain that they had to return any CDs to the manufacturer.

It is understood the live recording had been broadcast in Australia on the radio earlier in the year and was being distributed there. Epic, however, does not want the album distributed in the USA.

Meanwhile, the video Single Video Theory is to be released in the UK in October. A Pearl Jam spokesperson said the video showed the band in their Seattle rehearsal rooms and "rattling through 'Yield'.There's a bit of interview footage as well."

He added the band's unfinalised plans to visit the UK were looking "more unlikely every day". So far the band have played Australasia and are working their way through the US.

SONY HALTS PEARL JAM FREEBIE PLANS

Pearl Jam have run into strife with Sony Music over a CD giveaway campaign in the US...

Pearl Jam's plans to give US fans a free live album as a gift accompanying a new video have been stonewalled by Sony Music.

The CD, recorded on their recent Australian tour, was to accompany some 50,000 copies of Single Video Theory, a video of the band shot in their rehearsal rooms in Seattle. The release of the CD was organised through American record chain Best Buy, independently of the band's label, Epic.

According to US website Ticketmaster, the CD was supposed to accompany the videos on sale from yesterday (Tuesday, August 4). The website quoted a story from The Minneapolis Star Tribune which said the band had negotiated directly with Best Buy in the distribution of the CD. The CD was advertised heavily in press.

But Sony lawyers intervened and told the record chain that they had to return any CDs to the manufacturer.

It is understood the live recording had been broadcast in Australia on the radio earlier in the year and was being distributed there. Epic, however, does not want the album distributed in the USA.

Meanwhile, the video Single Video Theory is to be released in the UK in October. A Pearl Jam spokesperson said the video showed the band in their Seattle rehearsal rooms and "rattling through 'Yield'.There's a bit of interview footage as well."

He added the band's unfinalised plans to visit the UK were looking "more unlikely every day". So far the band have played Australasia and are working their way through the US.

As this is the fate of every band, then I think that we can brush that element aside really. Rather a comparison to other bands would maybe reveal their ethic somewhat better.
Edited by pogal

So all this talk of them notmaking money etc etc is, actually, all crap really. They ae record company bitches, just like everyone else. For better or worse.
Edited by Paulaviki

I'm getting sick of all that rubbish though. No one's saying that, people are just inferring it. Pearl Jam have a clearly good and meritable ethic which can be naive at times, but no one has heralded them as saviours of anything.

Great rock band with some remarkable ethics. They deserve some credit for that.

I'm getting sick of all that rubbish though. No one's saying that, people are just inferring it. Pearl Jam have a clearly good and meritable ethic which can be naive at times, but no one has heralded them as saviours of anything.

Great rock band with some remarkable ethics. They deserve some credit for that.

Pearl Jam split from Sony Records after 10+ years under contract, and so Sony cashed in by releasing a 2 Disc greatest hits titled "Rearviewmirror". After many dubbed PJs split from the money grabbing record company, they signed a contract with J Records, an affiliate of Sony, showing that it's difficult to be a big band without the support of a big company these days.

However, their music is now more independent and free from constraint, and the band have total control over their music and speed of how they do things.

I object to that - I made a gag about the spacetime continuum unraveling if it was discovered that PJ were in the game to make money. In my very next post I pointed out it was a gag at the expense of the sanctimonious comments concerning PJ and their 'ethos'. I also pointed out that I don't care how many bootlegs they release and that I like good quality live recordings, and that I appreciate that they've done a lot for charidee. How is this duplicitous?

Check you've got the right ammo before you get the blunderbuss out.

Pearl Jam split from Sony Records after 10+ years under contract, and so Sony cashed in by releasing a 2 Disc greatest hits titled "Rearviewmirror". After many dubbed PJs split from the money grabbing record company, they signed a contract with J Records, an affiliate of Sony, showing that it's difficult to be a big band without the support of a big company these days.

However, their music is now more independent and free from constraint, and the band have total control over their music and speed of how they do things.