Books

Guest chappiepunk

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fav book is book of bunny suicides or 101 uses for a black bag im a very in depth reader and i like to challange me mind :blink:

"Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Shit?" is providing some classic bog-read.

I don't post much in this thread, but I love my books, I do :blink:

Although I note that many people on here read fiction, but I am more of a non-fiction addict really. Currently reading a fascinating anthropological look at us - Watching The English, by Kate Fox. It goes into why we talk as we do and why we behave as we do (including things like what we do when someone tries to queue jump ;) )

And as it's about us English, it is of course, obsessed with the C word......CLASS :P

Time Travellers Wife was excellent - made me cry at the end.

I read Watching the English too - I thought it was fascinating - I now watch myself making very 'English' decisions.

Anansi boys by Neil Gaiman was the last book I finished - very good and in the same sort of vein as American Gods (though AG was better IMHO)

Currently reading life expectancy by Dean Koontz. It's a Dean Koontz book where terrible things happen to a pastry chef. Enjoying it so far.

Not sure what the next book should be. I might get round to re-reading the first 4 Dark tower books and then get the last 3 to read. Or I'll find something at the airport tomorrow and read that.

Anything in the chart at the moment that people would recomend? Maybe something non-fiction?

Finished Dracula [it's amazing how much you read when you've got nothing to do all day!] I did like it, not one I'd pick up again sometime soon, but perhaps in the near future.

Started "The Shining" by Stephen King (prepares to hide behind couch).

At the moment:

Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad (again, marvelously vivid depiction, if clearly a piece of colonial racism)

Glamorama - Brett Easton Ellis (really should have read this by now)

The Location of Culture - Homi Bhabha (heavy weight philosophy s**t, which takes several reads to make the least bit of semblance)

In a Free State - V.S. Naipaul (nobel prize winner and rightly so)

Seasons of Migration to the North - Tayib Salih (more colonial type stuff - love it)

Edited by Cultseeker

just finished One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest which i enjoyed far more than i thought i would, really recomend it.

And i'm now reading A Million Little Pieces by James Frey which is also really good. Its his story about going to rehab for drink and drugs and its amazingly open and touching. Good so far :blink:

My last book was White Oleander, My current book is The English Patient.

My fave book was either lord of the rings or the Phillip Pullman trilogy combined. I like a good magical epic tale! Ooh or the Life of Pi. - now that was brilliant! Argh i clearly can't choose one.

• 4 weeks later...

Just finished The Shining (wow that took ages!). Excellent book, not as scary as I thought but still better than the film.

Starting to read 'Salems Lot, I've got high hopes for that.

What book are you currently reading? Swahili for the Broken Hearted - Peter Moore. If you love travel books and authors like bill bryson, this guy is awesome, have read all his others, his best one is the wrong way home where he travels from london to sydney without flying.

Last book read? The Death Collectors - Jack Kerley

Favourite author? Nick Hornby

Favourite book? I can't really say just one so i'll go for High Fidelity (Nick Hornby), Death and the Penguin (Andrey Kurkov) and Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain),

Just finished The Shining (wow that took ages!). Excellent book, not as scary as I thought but still better than the film.

Starting to read 'Salems Lot, I've got high hopes for that.