2024 Traffic Directions etc

parsonjack

12 hours ago, MJP said:

Yeah, switch your lodging so it's along the A37 somewhere. If you go south of Glastonbury, you'll have an easier time turning left into the site.

yup Ive done similar, Im staying in Wincanton the night so I can cut up and across onto the A37 and then onto the Blue route in 🙂 theres not a lot of options to the immediate South of the site, but there are a few decent hotels in the Wincanton area which isnt far across to the A37 using the country roads 🙂

Edited by BeddyDriver

10 hours ago, BeddyDriver said:

yup Ive done similar, Im staying in Wincanton the night so I can cut up and across onto the A37 and then onto the Blue route in 🙂 theres not a lot of options to the immediate South of the site, but there are a few decent hotels in the Wincanton area which isnt far across to the A37 using the country roads 🙂

So I’ve done a bit of digging off the back of this and @MJP’s suggestion to switch lodgings and I’ve found these two options:

Hunters Lodge Inn just east of Wincanton on the A303

http://www.hunterslodgeinn.com/

image.thumb.png.77afe203573a517084747e077e8cf938.png

or

Sparkford Inn in Sparkford which appears to be even closer to the A37. 
https://www.sparkfordinnpubyeovil.co.uk/

image.thumb.png.b93bcf20ccba529208162bdddcf79101.png

I’ve currently got an AirBnB booked in Coxley but I’m within my cancellation window. I feel mean cancelling late but will do so if it’s going to save me a huge a lot of time, traffic and hassle. Do you both think it’s definitely worth making the switch and if so which of the two new options are the better location for easy Wednesday morning Tangerine Fields travel?

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2024 at 8:32 PM, Kaboom Boxer said:

Great idea for a thread. 

I’ll be trying to make my way to the Tangerine Fields car park on Wednesday morning driving from Coxley. 

Google Maps throws up three options:

image.thumb.png.3c029b00f04583c42f333a4c6620554b.png

image.thumb.png.9ab0da6d4c7cd7235abe790ed001a81e.png

image.thumb.png.ab1dbb2b590be9c05e2f798df6a3a97d.png

Are they all much of a muchness or is there a particularly busy stretch I’m best avoiding?

Hi....the only one of these that would work is 1.  Both 2 and 3 use a right turn off the A361 before Pilton (Stickleball Lane I think...) that is closed other than to Sticklinch camping etc.  There's no route through to East side of festival and Tangerine Fields.

Edited by parsonjack
  • Thanks 1

On 4/30/2024 at 3:06 PM, Kaboom Boxer said:

We'll be staying at Base Camp, I've amended my routes to end on Pylle Road so that it's a little more accurate and my three options are now as follows:

image.png.f925f5b4ff6493e7742c6e5ab538c466.png

image.png.bbf482d240bd8cfc34730f9510a3fac1.png

image.png.dab160b7711c9628df6b1eeff70f9708.png

Does this still rule out Option 2?

None of these will work as they all route you down a lane off the A361 (the final South flowing section...) which is closed to traffic other than Northbound.  It's actually the lane that Tangerine traffic leaves by on Monday morning.

4 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Hi....the only one of these that would work is 1.  Both 2 and 3 use a right turn off the A361 before Pilton (Stickleball Lane I think...) that is closed other than to Sticking camping etc.  There's no route through to East side of festival and Tangerine Fields.

1 minute ago, parsonjack said:

None of these will work as they all route you down a lane off the A361 (the final South flowing section...) which is closed to traffic other than Northbound.  It's actually the lane that Tangerine traffic leaves by on Monday morning.

Thanks, would you recommend me moving my lodging from Coxley to say Sparkford like my post above? 

7 minutes ago, Kaboom Boxer said:

Thanks, would you recommend me moving my lodging from Coxley to say Sparkford like my post above? 

Sparkford would work but you'd ideally want to first head West on A303 then straight up A37 from Podimore roundabout to Pylle and left into Blue Route and Tangerine.  That route would avoid the A371 which from Castle Cary is closed apart from shuttle bus traffic to/from Castle Cary station and the Bath & West drop off.

Looking again at your original option 1 I think that also uses the lane south off A361 that I mention in previous post so also not an option unless you changed it to head east into Shepton then south onto A37 and approach the turn into Blue Route at Pylle from the north instead.

Of these I'd probably stick with the Coxley overnight and head to Wells-Shepton-A37 south.  Switching to Sparkford puts you in with a lot of northbound traffic from A303.

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2024 at 10:08 AM, balti-pie said:

i drive from sussex every year, and always go along the A/M27 and up the a36 through Salisbury, coming onto the a303 after Stonehenge (avoiding the rubberneckers) and then up the a37 at podimore. This is always a decent route for traffic cos you're coming from the south unlike most, though i havnt travelled in the wednesday traffic since 2019 (i volunteer these days and monday traffic is an absolute breeze). 

The A37 feeds into the purple/blue car parks, but you can chuck a left at the traffic lights by the Cross Keys Inn and then you can sneak up to Orange and Pink that way - thats probs the easiest way 

Yeah that's not a bad shout.  You can improve that even further by leaving the A37 left about 2km from Podimore towards Charlton Mackrell, then a quick right/left across the B3153, then right through Butleigh to Glastonbury.  That cuts off a big corner instead of going to the lights at Lydford-on-Fosse.

obviously, all these dirty dashes across country are designed not to inconvenience the people trying to get to school / work / life etc. I appreciate that people attending the festivals needs always come first and perhaps the oversized campervan wedged on a narrow road is just a welcome price to pay for the poor yokels.

6 minutes ago, pilton digger said:

obviously, all these dirty dashes across country are designed not to inconvenience the people trying to get to school / work / life etc. I appreciate that people attending the festivals needs always come first and perhaps the oversized campervan wedged on a narrow road is just a welcome price to pay for the poor yokels.

Morning Digger....you're totally right of course but folks will always use tech at their disposal to find any back way that might give them an edge (and I'll certainly not be publicising some that you and I both know exist).

Moreover the aim of this is to actually defer folks from heading down routes that we know in advance will be closed or unusable, and hopefully therefore alleviating unnecessary issues to local users.

We'll also try to spread things out so that, say, all the London traffic doesn't use the same route.

At some point someone might also realise I only do this to keep my own route in clear 😅