Stages and crowds

Wondering what the overall view is on crowdedness at EOTR.

We last went in 2018 and the experience was only slightly let down by missing a few acts due to full tents + occasionally feeling like the Garden Stage was far too full to enjoy the music.

For my partner,  the experience at Green Man last year created a big contrast (no crowding problems and even a full Far Out tent gives you decent views from everywhere).

What do the regulars think? Did we hit a bad year/bad luck? Or is it something you just accept at this point?

Late night big top headliner is the main bottleneck innit, quite often gets to the one in/one out stage. Used to be bad queues for the late night tipi/secret sets too but last year seemed easier or maybe I just got lucky. 

The Boat you need to get there early for a good view if there's something you really fancy.

Oh and closing the folly between acts always causes a big queue too I guess. 

Rarely felt the garden too packed to enjoy, can be a pain leaving if you're trying to rush to another stage as a popular set ends I guess, tis what it is.

None of the above ever really bothers me tbh so I guess it's acceptance, there's always something else to see.. queues for food are more annoying for .e and again, last year was fine for that. 

• Thanks 1

Its as spacious as you can get. Always room in the Garden stage at the sides, Folly gets busy just before late night acts and then empties after 10 minutes. Same for the Big Top. Food queues are fine apart from after whoever finishes on th Woods at 6.30pm when everyone rather bizarrely decides thats the time for food and spend ages queuing.

Queues for the toilets were a bit longer at times last year as many of them were unusable do to being covered with sh*t and piss all weekend.  

Edited by The Nal

On 3/2/2024 at 11:15 AM, noisenoiseandmorenoise said:

the experience at Green Man last year created a big contrast (no crowding problems and even a full Far Out tent gives you decent views from everywhere).

Could that be because of the video screens though?  Meaning that not everyone has to venture down the front to get a decent view, so less crowding in the venue.  That's one thing that I would like to see all festivals do if they could afford it. 

Far Out always becomes pinch point central after Sunday midday because of the cordon around the Green Man, I forgot last year otherwise I would have chosen where to land a bit better.

I've missed shows in Tipi and Big Top because they were full but never been stopped entering a venue at Green Man so I'm inclined to agree with you in respect of Tipi and Big Top.

2 hours ago, czuk said:

Could that be because of the video screens though?  Meaning that not everyone has to venture down the front to get a decent view, so less crowding in the venue.  That's one thing that I would like to see all festivals do if they could afford it. 

Far Out always becomes pinch point central after Sunday midday because of the cordon around the Green Man, I forgot last year otherwise I would have chosen where to land a bit better.

I've missed shows in Tipi and Big Top because they were full but never been stopped entering a venue at Green Man so I'm inclined to agree with you in respect of Tipi and Big Top.

My opinion, video screens at festivals are the work of the devil. I hope EotR never have them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Generally speaking I'd say it's the most relaxed crowdedness festival I've been at. Garden is all about angles - it gets mad crowd crust on the entrances from the path by the campfire bar. Come "through the gate" (in rugby parlance) or from the wood side and there's always loads of space.

The tent, yeah, I've missed stuff there. You have to make a value call on what you want. I was all over Overmono so wee left Future Islands early (what a hard choice lol). I also think most of the time if you wait it out you'll get in. Grab a momo and come back 20 minutes in