Northern Kin 2024

sheffinghell

Well this looks interesting! Has anyone been before? What's it like as an overall weekend?

First lineup announcement, apparently more to come.

Seems very reasonably priced, and own food allowed in the arena.

https://www.northernkinfestival.co.uk/line-up/

IMG_20230923_151734.jpg

Yup. Been before in 2019 when it was in Weardale in a rather lovely location in Stanhope, they moved to a bigger area close to Durham city. I missed last year because I came down with the Covid just before the fest. I have tickets for this year as they allowed me to carry my tickets over which they didn't have to do, so good on 'em for that. Friends went and it was a pretty poor experience, the field the festival was in was a quagmire and the car parking field was so bad they were towing cars IN to the field. Unsurprisingly, they had to be towed out again. The searches on entering the field were pretty draconian and some people had alcohol taken from them inside the arena if security spotted you consuming a smuggled tinny or from a hip flask. This was not my experience in 2019 I would hope that they relax security a little next year as this is not cool at all. That said all my friends have rebooked for next year. The festival has moved to a new location after the experience of 2023 and it is now later in the year (it was far too early this year - first weekend in May) it is now mid-June.

As with all festivals the crowd is almost more important than the acts and the facilities and it has been a good easy going mixed crowd. The acts booked looked good and I think it should be a good festival in 24.

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I'm not too bothered about alcohol tbh, as I consume a lot less these days. Weather-wise, I guess that's a risk whatever month - Tramlines '23 veteran (end July) and there was several inches of rain over the weekend. It got a bit miserable, but hopefully a one-off. Good to know the crowd is amiable - I guess the lineup lends itself to that anyway. Seriously thinking about getting a ticket as would happily watch a good proportion of those bands.

An elderly crowd average age 50+ sitting in camping chairs drinking Guinness from the dedicated bar as better than main bar where the so called real ale has died from severe frostbite. Considering the mud toilets had been serviced and conveniently placed unlike the 2022 layout.

Food was usual festival stalls a decent enough choice 

As a previous ticket purchaser was offered a too good to refuse offer for 2024 so despite being bigger than the 1,000 head capacity festivals my aged body prefers will be giving it another go next year. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 11:03 PM, outtolunch said:

An elderly crowd average age 50+ sitting in camping chairs drinking Guinness from the dedicated bar as better than main bar where the so called real ale has died from severe frostbite. Considering the mud toilets had been serviced and conveniently placed unlike the 2022 layout.

Food was usual festival stalls a decent enough choice 

As a previous ticket purchaser was offered a too good to refuse offer for 2024 so despite being bigger than the 1,000 head capacity festivals my aged body prefers will be giving it another go next year. 

Thanks for that, sounds like a possibility for me, especially as now in June. I see from their website they've moved to a new site and pledging all sorts of extra service levels, so hopefully things will continue to improve. Also, 10CC is a nice addition to the bill.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Full Line Up now revealed:

Friday 14th June

Main Stage 1

Starsailor

Alabama 3

Peatbog Faeries

Crazy World Of Arthur Brown

Nine Below Zero

Main Stage 2

Kris Barras Band