Accessibility as a group

kirstyn

Hi All, we are attending our first Glastonbury Fest as a group of 5 friends. I unfortunately have some health issues and have successfully applied for Access assistance, so have been given a access car parking space ticket and some other bits but will not be camping in Spring Ground as our group is too big. We are taking 2 cars, 1 in accessible car park and 1 in normal car park. My question is what's the best way to enter the site? Can my 4 other friends come through yellow gate with me if they walk from the main car park and meet me? Or will I have to go through with just me/ 1 companion and meet them inside? 

Obviously have the issue of carrying the stuff as I'm pretty useless but maybe I can meet them on the other side of gate and go back and get our tent? Which is a faff but needs must.

Any help on how to approach would be appreciated! 

Edited by kirstyn
  • Like 1

I would suggest using the access bus to take you and your stuff from the yellow car park to Spring ground and meet you friends there. Your friends can enter Spring ground if you meet them at the gate near to whee the bus drops you off. They can then help move your stuff to where you are camping.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, kirstyn said:

Hi All, we are attending our first Glastonbury Fest as a group of 5 friends. I unfortunately have some health issues and have successfully applied for Access assistance, so have been given a access car parking space ticket and some other bits but will not be camping in Spring Ground as our group is too big. We are taking 2 cars, 1 in accessible car park and 1 in normal car park. My question is what's the best way to enter the site? Can my 4 other friends come through yellow gate with me if they walk from the main car park and meet me? Or will I have to go through with just me/ 1 companion and meet them inside? 

Obviously have the issue of carrying the stuff as I'm pretty useless but maybe I can meet them on the other side of gate and go back and get our tent? Which is a faff but needs must.

Hi Kirstyn, 

If you are arriving in two cars, whoever is in the car with accessible badge can enter with you, however only the people who are registered for access will pick up wristbands and lanyards from the accessible tent which is near the yellow car park. The rest of the people would pick up wristbands at one of the main gates.

We have a similar situation 6 of us in two cars. We put all the heavy stuff in my car on the accessible parking, take our tents, find a space, get set up, then most of us go back to the car in yellow accessible car park to pick the heavy stuff/ alcohol etc.

There are lots of camping nearby Spring Ground that is also suitable for access needs. 

There is nothing stopping any of your party going back to your car throughout the festival, for example if you wanted to take some things back to the car on the Sunday to make Monday morning easier and pile as much as you can in the car you are traveling in.

Please feel free to ask more questions! 

Chris 

1 hour ago, she bangs the drums said:

Hi Kirstyn, 

If you are arriving in two cars, whoever is in the car with accessible badge can enter with you, however only the people who are registered for access will pick up wristbands and lanyards from the accessible tent which is near the yellow car park. The rest of the people would pick up wristbands at one of the main gates.

We have a similar situation 6 of us in two cars. We put all the heavy stuff in my car on the accessible parking, take our tents, find a space, get set up, then most of us go back to the car in yellow accessible car park to pick the heavy stuff/ alcohol etc.

There are lots of camping nearby Spring Ground that is also suitable for access needs. 

There is nothing stopping any of your party going back to your car throughout the festival, for example if you wanted to take some things back to the car on the Sunday to make Monday morning easier and pile as much as you can in the car you are traveling in.

Please feel free to ask more questions! 

Chris 

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that, that's really helpful! So once I collect my bands and stuff, will I be going past a main queue where my friends can collect their bands and I can meet them or is it it's whole separate gate? Just trying to think about it so I'm not on my own too long just in case! 

Yeah will deffo be piling the heavy stuff in my car! 

2 hours ago, kirstyn said:

Hi Chris,

Thanks for that, that's really helpful! So once I collect my bands and stuff, will I be going past a main queue where my friends can collect their bands and I can meet them or is it it's whole separate gate? Just trying to think about it so I'm not on my own too long just in case! 

Yeah will deffo be piling the heavy stuff in my car! 

Once you have collected your wristbands from the accessible tent you can either get a bus into the site which would take you to Spring Ground camping site (though usually a wait) or you can make your own way and enter via pedestrian gate A. Your friends can go in via gate A too and you can meet them on the other side of the entrance once they have collected their wristbands. 

7 hours ago, kirstyn said:

Only you and your pa will be good to go on the bus.... Depending on how busy they are.... The others will have to enter gate A. Again depends on how busy.... A year or so ago the disabled tent would only band those disabled people and those using the grounds. 

But whilst you and say your pa got banded at disabled tent your friends could just walk through to gate A along with the coach people...... BUT.... If you get a funny steward...... Just as she bangs drums says.. 

One thing I will say is that if you don't go in at the very start of the day the van drivers and all the disabled team are amazing and might put ALL your gear for the 5 of you on the van and drop it off with you.. That'll save your friends lugging it in.. 

Good luck 

26 minutes ago, she bangs the drums said:

Once you have collected your wristbands from the accessible tent you can either get a bus into the site which would take you to Spring Ground camping site (though usually a wait) or you can make your own way and enter via pedestrian gate A. Your friends can go in via gate A too and you can meet them on the other side of the entrance once they have collected their wristbands. 

Brilliant, thank you so much for your help and advice! I hope you have a good festival 🙂

• Upvote 1