Thursday Trains

Willy-wam-wam-wozzle

Does anyone know roughly how busy trains tend to be on the Thursday?

My mrs is coming a day later than us, will be getting the train from Brighton so will either be arriving at Castle Cary from Reading (Train Starting at Paddington) or Westbury (Train from Bristol way).

Any thoughts on which route would be quietest appreciated as well!

Cheers.

itll be a breeze, to be honest. Expect a hubbub on the train from Reading onwards, but in terms of queues for the buses from Castle Cary, itll be absolutely fine. If you're particularly fussed about having a seat, you could go from Brighton to Paddington and start from there, rather than jump on at Reading - but its not too far a journey from Reading, maybe a shade over an hour? I'd not expect a seat, but would expect to get on with no problems at all. Wednesday would be much more of a pain in the arse. 

Cheers Balti-Pie! That is pretty much what I was expecting, I’ve always gone on a Wednesday and by car, assumed the majority of trains would probably be okay Thursday afternoon.

I did think about going up to Paddington and getting on at the start, but it’s a bit longer journey and costs a bit more cash, so probs not worth it.

Cheers again!

I've done the Thursday train quite a few times and it can still be a bit busy although nothing too onerous thanks to the military operation at Castle Cary.

I found arriving early afternoon, on the el cheapo late morning run from Waterloo, was rammed with bags on laps and people standing all along the gangway.  Approx 45 mins wait for bus at CC once you get there but roads are clear so 15 mins and you're off the bus at the happy place.and straight in as no queueing to get in at that time.

Taking the late trains out of Paddington (eg 7pm ish) and it's a seat to yourself all the way to CC and no queue for a bus once there.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Another eforum account said:

Coming from Brighton - wouldn’t you come the coast route so Brighton > can either change Fratton/Southampton/Salisbury (depending on the trains) >Castle Carry 

Its been a while since I did it a lot but used to travel loads between Brighton & the West Country via train! 

You’d think so wouldn’t you? According to train line is about 20mins going via London.