Trips to vehicle.

PassingCloud

Ok. So my plan up to now has been get in with the tent a few bits and then go back for everything else loaded on the sack truck. However, is it possible just to get it over and done with in one fell swoop? I’m sure loads must do, but don’t want to slow things up for others. 
I’m just a bit concerned that it’s a major trek back to the car. Having never driven to the festival I have no idea what kind of distances we are talking about? Can anyone say what’s roughly max distance from gate? I will be heading for purple car park / gate B. 
Also when they park you up I assume they can give a rough idea of how far it is to walk. 
TIA

EDIT: aiming to arrive at CP around 5.30am

Edited by PassingCloud

You wont be holding people up pulling a heavily loaded sack truck. It can be quite some distance so i would be doing it in one trip is possible. Just get a couple rolls of duck tape (make sure you keep one for the way home) and put the beer on the bottom.

If you do go back for a 2nd trip leave it until Wednesday afternoon to let the queues die down

Two trips in hot weather is a very good idea.  You do not want to do the hours of queuing on Weds morning with all your stuff in the heat.  This is how you get heatstroke and hurt your back.  Take it easy and stick with your original plan for an easy first trip.  Your future self will thank you.

14 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

Ok. So my plan up to now has been get in with the tent a few bits and then go back for everything else loaded on the sack truck. However, is it possible just to get it over and done with in one fell swoop? I’m sure loads must do, but don’t want to slow things up for others. 
I’m just a bit concerned that it’s a major trek back to the car. Having never driven to the festival I have no idea what kind of distances we are talking about? Can anyone say what’s roughly max distance from gate? I will be heading for purple car park / gate B. 
Also when they park you up I assume they can give a rough idea of how far it is to walk. 
TIA

In my experience of going for many years and always using a sack truck. I always try and do it in one go. Arriving at 5:30am you will be in a huge queue waiting for the gates to open and I’d say you are looking at not getting to your tent pitch for a good 4-5 hours. After lugging your sack truck a good mile or so and then putting up a tent the last thing you will want to do is go back and do it all again. You will be exhausted. 

use an means necessary to stack your sack truck. Plastic wrap, cable ties, duct tape, bungee cords, plastic boxes etc. 5C327AB9-E5AD-4EAF-BC3B-AD643BAEF77E.thumb.jpeg.d57786284f8cb1de0a2740a750cf97ba.jpeg

Ive done it in 1 trip in the past, but then had a bad back and felt crap for the rest of the Wednesday, these days i find it much easier to have 2 smaller trips than 1 big one

the last couple of times i take a smaller load when in the queue and save the heavy stuff for the 2nd trip when you wont have to queue up for hours

17 minutes ago, jalien01 said:

In my experience of going for many years and always using a sack truck. I always try and do it in one go. Arriving at 5:30am you will be in a huge queue waiting for the gates to open and I’d say you are looking at not getting to your tent pitch for a good 4-5 hours. After lugging your sack truck a good mile or so and then putting up a tent the last thing you will want to do is go back and do it all again. You will be exhausted. 

use an means necessary to stack your sack truck. Plastic wrap, cable ties, duct tape, bungee cords, plastic boxes etc. 5C327AB9-E5AD-4EAF-BC3B-AD643BAEF77E.thumb.jpeg.d57786284f8cb1de0a2740a750cf97ba.jpeg

wasn’t going to take the sack truck first time. Just carry tent and maybe a rucksack. 

7 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

wasn’t going to take the sack truck first time. Just carry tent and maybe a rucksack. 

Go for it. Sounds like a plan. Take a couple of beers too. Just remember even after you’ve got your wristband, leaving and re-entering the festival will still require you to show your paper ticket. Don’t lost it otherwise it’s a couple of hours at security getting you verified again. Just having a wristband doesn’t guarantee entry. 

3 minutes ago, jalien01 said:

Go for it. Sounds like a plan. Take a couple of beers too. Just remember even after you’ve got your wristband, leaving and re-entering the festival will still require you to show your paper ticket. Don’t lost it otherwise it’s a couple of hours at security getting you verified again. Just having a wristband doesn’t guarantee entry. 

Thanks. 

Seems to be difference in opinions on here. I’ll load her up later and see what I reckon. May still do the easy trip to get in first. 

3 hours ago, PassingCloud said:

TIA

Several variables:-
a)  How decent a trolley is it?  (as others have said pneumatic tyres can make a massive difference)
b)  How fit are you and how strong is your back?  
c)  Will you have pals with you that can/will assist if required?
d)  Do you understand that the stop start nature of the journey can add to the level of tiredness, as can even the slightest of incline or rough terrain?
e)  Is some of your extra load heavy quantities of cans?

Even 20 years ago when I was quite a bit fitter, my quite decent trolley had hard tyres and I was too ambitious in my selection of tent (a 5 or 6 birth) which meant there were a couple of times that a younger and stronger friend assisted.

I've known pals who brought in their camping gear, which enabled them to set up camp and then went back to collect the booze once they'd had a decent rest.

48 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Several variables:-
a)  How decent a trolley is it?  (as others have said pneumatic tyres can make a massive difference)
b)  How fit are you and how strong is your back?  
c)  Will you have pals with you that can/will assist if required?
d)  Do you understand that the stop start nature of the journey can add to the level of tiredness, as can even the slightest of incline or rough terrain?
e)  Is some of your extra load heavy quantities of cans?

Even 20 years ago when I was quite a bit fitter, my quite decent trolley had hard tyres and I was too ambitious in my selection of tent (a 5 or 6 birth) which meant there were a couple of times that a younger and stronger friend assisted.

I've known pals who brought in their camping gear, which enabled them to set up camp and then went back to collect the booze once they'd had a decent rest.

a - decent. i use it for work fitting very heavy wood-burning stoves. proper tyres. I'm good on a sack truck me 🤪

b - reasonably fit. i have to lift the stoves, etc. 

c - no, just my 11 year old son!

d - yes, no, maybe 🙂

e - not too much weight of cans

Thanks. Its not an enormous tent and i'll leave booze in van just in case i need more but going to take in probably 20 cans or so.

2 hours ago, ShuMart said:

If you use a sack truck try and get the ones with inflatable wheels if you can get it in your car.  As someone else mentioned cling film is also a good way of keeping stuff held on it.

image.jpeg.dd0993d514fc23c39529e9e9aed0def5.jpeg

Got one similar to this only better 😜🤣 It has a drop down bit that give a larger base for stacking. I have a load of ratchet straps which i find nest for keeping things nice and secure. Just changed my wheels for some no-flat types and i have the others (with inner-tubes) as back-up and some spare split pins. 

8 minutes ago, PassingCloud said:

a - decent. i use it for work fitting very heavy wood-burning stoves. proper tyres. I'm good on a sack truck me 🤪

b - reasonably fit. i have to lift the stoves, etc. 

c - no, just my 11 year old son!

d - yes, no, maybe 🙂

e - not too much weight of cans

Thanks. Its not an enormous tent and i'll leave booze in van just in case i need more but going to take in probably 20 cans or so.

Aye tbh, moving stoves on trolleys as part of your day job makes it seem like this will be literally like a walk in the park for you tbh - "ooh some canvas and fibre poles and a bag of clothes" 😉

2 minutes ago, clarkete said:

Aye tbh, moving stoves on trolleys as part of your day job makes it seem like this will be literally like a walk in the park for you tbh - "ooh some canvas and fibre poles and a bag of clothes" 😉

To be honest i think i'll decide on arrival depending on how i feel / weather etc. Thanks for everyone advice though, much appreciated.