Worthy warriors

Crazyfool01

4 minutes ago, incident said:

Thing is - putting aside the obviously bad leaving a trace aspect - that's one of those things that sounds crazy but kind of shows how problematic the market is in some respects when disposable becomes as cheap as reusable. I'm actually a bit more comfortable with this case as it at least sounds like they made sure it was suitable for someone to take and use, unlike the occasional absolute shits who not only leave their tents but deliberately trash them so that they can't be salvaged.

Given that rental prices spike on Glastonbury weekend, and that many people renting out Caravans or Campervans either specifically forbid taking it to Glastonbury or charge a premium, it's quite possible that buying one for 800 quid was cheaper than any viable rental options they found. That's before adding any storage costs into the mix - If you don't have a driveway with suitable space for a Caravan (and many don't), you're potentially looking at forking out ~500 quid a year just for storage at a secure facility.

Absolutely spot on, yes it was cheaper to buy and leave than rent and at least they left the keys.

They encroached on our camp in the fire lane on the Friday night and had gone by early Monday morning. All the gear left was brand new, I just can't imagine leaving stuff that cost a decent amount of money! 

1 minute ago, StoneCircle said:

All the gear left was brand new, I just can't imagine leaving stuff that cost a decent amount of money! 

Thing is - they won't necessarily thinking in those terms. It's likely to be treated as a holiday - so it's a written off cost, just as a hotel room would be or one of the glamping options which can run well into the thousands.

Personally I'd have taken it home just to flog on to recoup some of the investment, but then I'm a cheap bastard and do have a driveway that I could use for short term storage - they may not be in a position to do so if say they live in city centre apartments or even in an old fashioned terraced street.

8 hours ago, StoneCircle said:

Absolutely spot on, yes it was cheaper to buy and leave than rent and at least they left the keys.

They encroached on our camp in the fire lane on the Friday night and had gone by early Monday morning. All the gear left was brand new, I just can't imagine leaving stuff that cost a decent amount of money! 

There is probably a Vlog somewhere. Couple of Milennials telling their vapid follower's "How Ammmaaazzzziin Glasto is"

• 1 year later...

Never got off the ground this year .... and has been officially closed down in favour of a more general message when buying tickets and reminders through social media .... A general love the farm message through stewards too . I thought this actually worked well tbh and thought anecdotally maybe the campsites were slightly worse this year than last with no feedback from Emily maybe this was actually the case , sad that a volunteer pretty much free to them thing has been shut ... we were informed on the worthy warrior fb page ....

A mate (formally of this parish) went scavenging tents from Beat-Herder after is finished. The photos were horrific, only a smallish event but loads of abandoned tents. The weather hadn't been great, not as bad as this weekend, and I think that definitely has an impact but apparently there were no messages about taking stuff home etc. so maybe the Leave No Trace message really does have a big impact. 

19 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

A mate (formally of this parish) went scavenging tents from Beat-Herder after is finished. The photos were horrific, only a smallish event but loads of abandoned tents. The weather hadn't been great, not as bad as this weekend, and I think that definitely has an impact but apparently there were no messages about taking stuff home etc. so maybe the Leave No Trace message really does have a big impact. 

Absolutely I just worry that the removal of a team of volunteers and the moving it to … everyone signs a generic pledge isn’t the way to go about things . It should definately be but not sure if that need be the only thing that’s done … placing it in the hands of the stewards I just don’t see working … it just dilutes the stewarding role . Would have been interested to see if things had got better … that gives a target to aim for …