Bill Martin dead

Ayrshire Chris

22 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The Scottish songwriter Bill Martin has died. Wrote so many 70s such as the England World Cup song back home, Cliffs congratulations , puppet on a string, and some bay city roller songs, along with Phil Coulter. 

When i read this post my first thoughts were what a dreadful trio of songs they were, but looking further i see he also wrote this Elvis classic,

54 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

I bet he was popular in Scotland when he wrote the England World Cup song, haha 

Living up to the national stereotype it was probably seen as taking money from the English!😁

lets face it, there’s not much chance of having a World Cup song nowadays, not since the debacle of our Argentine adventure and the song associated with it !   

22 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Certainly the best thing to come out of the Argentine adventure! 

In a way....

For reasons too longwinded to go in to here we went on a lads holiday to Argentina 20 odd years ago and managed to convince the dj in a Buenos Aires nightclub to play it to a room full of about 500 raving Argies.

7 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Living up to the national stereotype it was probably seen as taking money from the English!😁

lets face it, there’s not much chance of having a World Cup song nowadays, not since the debacle of our Argentine adventure and the song associated with it !   

Keith Allen did a similar thing with his England Vindaloo song despite being Welsh.Haha.

Shouldn’t these jobs be given to English songwriters? (Especially ones who are England football fans)

Edited by rivalschools.price