Crowdfunding Music Venues

Keithy

As we're all huge live music fans, I'm sure you're all conscious that Coronavirus is going to hit the small live music venues really hard. Some of them have already set up crowdfunding sites to help them through this difficult time. I thought we could do with a thread to track them all and hopefully people can donate some money and promote them on their socials?

Personally, if Glastonbury gets cancelled and the deposits returned then I'm sending my deposit on to a venue. 

So for starters:

The Joiners in Southampton

Crowdfunding link  - https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-us-survive-corona-virus

The Boileroom in Guildford

Crowdfunding link - https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/help-the-boileroom-survive-the-covid-19-crisis-1

I'm sure there will be other venues over the coming days and weeks so feel free to add them. Without these venues, we don't have a live music scene.

Edited by Keithy

Good job Keithy. We all need to do what we can to make sure our favourite venues are there for us when things return to normal, and haven't just been replaced by a bloody Starbucks.

Also people, if you've got a ticket and your show is postponed, please try not to go straight after a refund. Keep the ticket in your back pocket as something to look forward to later.  Don't strip more cash out of the venues at times like this x

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

Might be a bit overoptimistic in terms of how many of us on here want to contribute to stuff like this, but what do you think of keeping track of who's donated to what crowdfunders?  Don't need to keep a track of value or anything as that's a level of detail no-one needs to know, but if we've got a rough view of activity we might be able to at least avoid one or two venues or acts getting loads of support and others falling by the wayside?

We all want to save our favourites obviously, but it's the whole live music ecosystem that needs looking after!

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Might be a bit overoptimistic in terms of how many of us on here want to contribute to stuff like this, but what do you think of keeping track of who's donated to what crowdfunders?  Don't need to keep a track of value or anything as that's a level of detail no-one needs to know, but if we've got a rough view of activity we might be able to at least avoid one or two venues or acts getting loads of support and others falling by the wayside?

We all want to save our favourites obviously, but it's the whole live music ecosystem that needs looking after!

Most of the fundraisers are public so you can see how much they have I think. I have been thinking that with the restaurants and food outlets though. It would be good to know which ones are getting enough in vouchers and which are still struggling. One of them did send an e-mail today saying they would give their staff tips from the vouchers which I did think was a lovely gesture and made me more inclined to buy theirs. 

For bands etc I have been trying to concentrate on those that I know were on tour or about to embark on a tour when someone told me yesterday that they were listening to all The Beatles albums I suggested they stream some new artists instead as it might be a pittance but that streaming money might be all they get. I was really pleased when he replied and asked for some suggestions and said he would do it. 

13 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Most of the fundraisers are public so you can see how much they have I think. I have been thinking that with the restaurants and food outlets though. It would be good to know which ones are getting enough in vouchers and which are still struggling. One of them did send an e-mail today saying they would give their staff tips from the vouchers which I did think was a lovely gesture and made me more inclined to buy theirs. 

For bands etc I have been trying to concentrate on those that I know were on tour or about to embark on a tour when someone told me yesterday that they were listening to all The Beatles albums I suggested they stream some new artists instead as it might be a pittance but that streaming money might be all they get. I was really pleased when he replied and asked for some suggestions and said he would do it. 

Of course they are! Brainfart this morning, good point GP :)

• 5 weeks later...

Bumping this up. Music Venue Trust have launched a nationwide campaign to save grassroots venues. They've identified a total of 556 venues across the UK that are in danger of permanent closure.

Website has a central fund, or you can pick out venues from the interactive map that are special to you and it'll direct you to their own pages so you can donate direct. 

Take a look at the map on the site. Zoom in on some of the towns and cities and you'll see the icons start to multiply as you get down to street level. It's fucking terrifying for anyone that loves not just live music but any new music coming through, as these are the places where bands cut their teeth :(

https://saveourvenues.co.uk/#/

• Upvote 2