Train back on Sunday night

chilla

Hi, has anyone ever got the train back from Castle Cary to London on Sunday? 

Any idea of bus queues back to CC, best time to leave and still have a good day on Sunday, does the normal National Rail train schedule apply etc?

Cheers

I usually get the last London train back. I think you have to work out when the last buses go from the site and work it out from those, give yourself extra time in case. There's a thread from a couple of years ago that's very useful. 

Also always check ticket splitting but also tickets well in advance can be surprisingly cheap. 

13 minutes ago, EZYSEY said:

Apologies for the hijack but does anyone know long you are likely to queue to get the bus into the Festival from Castle Cary on Wednesday?

Depends when you arrive. At peak times, up to an hour. At other times, hardly anything.

Unlike say the festival gates, it's not just a straight line of "earlier = longer queues" - if a big train from London has just dropped about a thousand people at Castle Cary, and you're at the back of that pack or on a local service arriving 5 minutes later then you may have to wait quite a while for it to clear.

If you want to make an estimate, you can try looking at the schedule for the services arriving before yours, but really it's difficult to say.

55 minutes ago, danbailey80 said:

I usually get the last London train back. I think you have to work out when the last buses go from the site and work it out from those, give yourself extra time in case. There's a thread from a couple of years ago that's very useful. 

Also always check ticket splitting but also tickets well in advance can be surprisingly cheap. 

Cheers and thanks I'll dig that thread out

29 minutes ago, EZYSEY said:

Apologies for the hijack but does anyone know long you are likely to queue to get the bus into the Festival from Castle Cary on Wednesday?

I've done the train down there twice on the wednesday. it was a great way to get there, the party started at Paddington - maybe do a Dianne Abbott and get some M&S Mojitos in for the journey :-) Once was pretty quick but the other time it was a good hour queue in the sun the get the bus so leave some of your drink just in case... 

51 minutes ago, incident said:

Depends when you arrive. At peak times, up to an hour. At other times, hardly anything.

Unlike say the festival gates, it's not just a straight line of "earlier = longer queues" - if a big train from London has just dropped about a thousand people at Castle Cary, and you're at the back of that pack or on a local service arriving 5 minutes later then you may have to wait quite a while for it to clear.

If you want to make an estimate, you can try looking at the schedule for the services arriving before yours, but really it's difficult to say.

37 minutes ago, chilla said:

I've done the train down there twice on the wednesday. it was a great way to get there, the party started at Paddington - maybe do a Dianne Abbott and get some M&S Mojitos in for the journey ? Once was pretty quick but the other time it was a good hour queue in the sun the get the bus so leave some of your drink just in case... 

Thanks for the replies. Its not actually for me its for my wife. If Sunday goes as planned we'll have a CV ticket which means i'll be driving down on Tuesday night to get a prime spot and the Mrs will be arriving on Wednesday as we can't leave the kids another night. If she can't scrounge a lift from Kent then she's looking at a train which gets in at 1pm ish from Paddington so by the sounds of it she'll have to queue a while but hopefully no longer than an hour.  

If she's travelling free of baggage, then she should be able to get off the train, and and out of the station fairly quickly. Unless she gets trapped behind one of the people bringing enough stuff with them to last until August.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

If she's travelling free of baggage, then she should be able to get off the train, and and out of the station fairly quickly. Unless she gets trapped behind one of the people bringing enough stuff with them to last until August.

She will be free of baggage, the kids will be at home with the grand parents and i'll already be drowning in cider. :D

Edited by EZYSEY

On 4/26/2019 at 10:57 AM, chilla said:

Hi, has anyone ever got the train back from Castle Cary to London on Sunday? 

Any idea of bus queues back to CC, best time to leave and still have a good day on Sunday, does the normal National Rail train schedule apply etc?

Cheers

Hi, did you find the thread? I couldn't.

I had a look at trains and I'm pretty certain I used to get the 8:32pm which got into London Paddington at about 10:15pm. There is one an hour later too but be careful with shuttle bus stopping (think it stops at 8:30?). I think I usually aim for the 8:32pm train just in case . There's never any queue at those times (shuttle or trains). 

I'd give yourself an hour for the shuttle bus too so aim to be at bus station at 7:30. Hope this helps but do check with glasto office about shuttle bus times. They are great at answering questions. 

On 4/28/2019 at 6:36 AM, danbailey80 said:

Hi, did you find the thread? I couldn't.

I had a look at trains and I'm pretty certain I used to get the 8:32pm which got into London Paddington at about 10:15pm. There is one an hour later too but be careful with shuttle bus stopping (think it stops at 8:30?). I think I usually aim for the 8:32pm train just in case . There's never any queue at those times (shuttle or trains). 

I'd give yourself an hour for the shuttle bus too so aim to be at bus station at 7:30. Hope this helps but do check with glasto office about shuttle bus times. They are great at answering questions. 

How do you find out the shuttle times?

We're thinking of getting the 8:30/9:30 train back to London, how busy are they?

Edited by StLewi