Ticket Competitions

cb4747

3 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

There's so many cheating accounts entering it really makes my blood boil. Why can't people play fair!? 

You mean multiple accounts per user and things? I reckon they'll be pretty on it with disqualifying stuff like that, and bots etc., giving the explicit term, and the fact they're pushing quite strongly as a PR job. Even said that they'll announce the winner on twitter, rather than the shadier Metro tactics of simply 'informing them' quietly, so it'll have to go to an authentic account. They have 2 hours between comp closing + announcement, which I guess is enough time for the draw and then a bit of poking around. 

Maybe I'm putting too much faith in them though, not sure. 

Edited by emilyboris

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, emilyboris said:

You mean multiple accounts per user and things? I reckon they'll be pretty on it with disqualifying stuff like that, and bots etc., giving the explicit term, and the fact they're pushing quite strongly as a PR job. Even said that they'll announce the winner on twitter, rather than the shadier Metro tactics of simply 'informing them' quietly, so it'll have to go to an authentic account. They have 2 hours between comp closing + announcement, which I guess is enough time for the draw and then a bit of poking around. 

Edited by cb4747

10 minutes ago, bennyboi said:

does everyone think it will count for the whole 20x20 grid or just within the confines of what would be the fence on site??

I'm thinking inside the fence on the map. 

N17 is roughly where the stone circle is and that's been very lucky today ;)

Just now, cb4747 said:

I mean come on :https://twitter.com/tessafarming 
sorry if it's someone on here but get real, honestly! haha. At least retweet some things and add some photos to make it look like a real account. haha 

Haha! I have another account I use for lots of twitter comps because my profile is already clogged up with RTs about football. I realised it looked ridiculous at first though, so went on a follow spree and put a picture of a cat as my avi. 

Wouldn't bother using both accounts like that person is presumably doing though, why take the time only to be excluded from the draw? 

7 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

There's so many cheating accounts entering it really makes my blood boil. Why can't people play fair!? 

Are you sure they are cheating? They may have just made an account to enter the competition? I never tweet on my account and just follow a few things.

2 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

haha it has! Maybe they realised cheating is wrong. 

Nope, it appears she's just changed the handle and name-presumably realising she'd be caught out if her name was the same for both accounts entering. Can't even use a hashtag though  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

Edited by emilyboris

2 minutes ago, Starchild771 said:

Are you sure they are cheating? They may have just made an account to enter the competition? I never tweet on my account and just follow a few things.

The account had clearly just been created to enter. Only 2 pieces of activity, both entries to the competition. No likes, or followers or following. But sure you're right maybe they are just always on Twitter and never had an account and saw a competition they wanted to enter so made an account for it, and then deleted the account straight away. Anything is possible I guess.

(Re-reading that I sound really bratty, I'm not, I'm just really eggy today and don't really want to board a plane tomorrow so anxiety is turning into anger) 

Edited by cb4747

1 minute ago, emilyboris said:

Haha! I have another account I use for lots of twitter comps because my profile is already clogged up with RTs about football. I realised it looked ridiculous at first though, so went on a follow spree and put a picture of a cat as my avi. 

Wouldn't bother using both accounts like that person is presumably doing though, why take the time only to be excluded from the draw? 

No harm in owning multiple accounts so long as you don't enter the competition multiple times. But I guess it's worth risking as its for Glastonbury, like using multiple browsers on ticket day to increase your chance of 'winning'.... I know most don't play fair. There was the EE comp a few years ago with album artwork and the winner just copied someone else. I don't know if they got away with it but it was all over FB cos it's cheating

7 minutes ago, emilyboris said:

I did do that once but worried I would get in trouble for having 2 accounts, is Twitter not like Facebook then? I thought you werent allowed haha. I just alienated all my friends on Twitter by comping so much, I think a few people muted me! haha 

3 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

The account had clearly just been created to enter. Only 2 pieces of activity, both entries to the competition. No likes, or followers or following. But sure you're right maybe they are just always on Twitter and never had an account and saw a competition they wanted to enter so made an account for it, and then deleted the account straight away. Anything is possible I guess. 

That's why they have competitions.... To get you to sign up.... I bet loads of people got an EE sim with £10 of credit just to enter that competition 

Just now, Jennings74 said:

No harm in owning multiple accounts so long as you don't enter the competition multiple times. But I guess it's worth risking as its for Glastonbury, like using multiple browsers on ticket day to increase your chance of 'winning'.... I know most don't play fair. There was the EE comp a few years ago with album artwork and the winner just copied someone else. I don't know if they got away with it but it was all over FB cos it's cheating

that's definitely ridiculous. With something like a draw, it's obviously all about 'luck'-obviously cheating if you enter multiple times, but I'm sure it happens, and isn't entirely awful (especially as in this case it's been prohibited so hopefully they'll be able to pick it up). But competitions that require you to create something or put work in or whatever that involve cheating are just ridiculous. For one it's far easier to be caught, for another it's just genuinely grim because you're actually stealing from someone rather than just (badly) playing a system.

Just now, Jennings74 said:

That's why they have competitions.... To get you to sign up.... I bet loads of people got an EE sim with £10 of credit just to enter that competition 

That's a good way of thinking about it, I got an EE sim but it didn't cost anything, I'm just walking around with an extra phone so feel a bit like a dealer. 

4 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

The account had clearly just been created to enter. Only 2 pieces of activity, both entries to the competition. No likes, or followers or following. 

People without twitter accounts may want to sign up just to join the competition though? I realise some people will try to cheat but some may be genuine also.

10 minutes ago, cb4747 said:

I mean come on :https://twitter.com/tessafarming 
sorry if it's someone on here but get real, honestly! haha. At least retweet some things and add some photos to make it look like a real account. haha 

OMG that is me and I promise I am real, but a total Twitter virgin - only signed up a couple of weeks ago and don't even know what I'm doing AND did typo when put in hashtag.  Deserve all the scorn of you Twitter experts.  I am deleting my Twitter account now!

1 minute ago, Tessar said:

OMG that is me and I promise I am real, but a total Twitter virgin - only signed up a couple of weeks ago and don't even know what I'm doing AND did typo when put in hashtag.  Deserve all the scorn of you Twitter experts.  I am deleting my Twitter account now!

haha! It's ok! I didn't mean any harm over it, it just looked odd is all. You need to follow EE for this one so if you do win they can DM you. To receive a DM you have the be following them. 

Edited by cb4747

Just now, cb4747 said:

I did do that once but worried I would get in trouble for having 2 accounts, is Twitter not like Facebook then? I thought you werent allowed haha. I just alienated all my friends on Twitter by comping so much, I think a few people muted me! haha 

I'm not really sure. There are functions to allow you to manage multiple accounts at once (I manage uni society and student radio accounts) from the app, so they don't seem to be that fussed about it. It's a different environment from facebook I suppose, hence the number of bots on twitter far outnumbering that on Facebook (that I've seen). Not even sure bots are against Twitter policy? Especially given Microsoft widely publicised their use of AI on it (to terrible results). 
My follow number tends to be fairly steady as a number of people follow me each day but an equivalent number obviously hate how much I tweet/retweet rubbish and unfollow me to balance it out!

I am sure it has been posted here but just seen this tweeted.

We've teamed up with @GlastoFest and @OWENBARRYOB to give one lucky reader two tickets! Find out how to enter at http:///1qy787M 

http://digital-thisis.co.uk/glastonburyticketcompetition/

Edited by Nobody Interesting

1 minute ago, Tessar said:

Haha no way! What are the chances, amazing. Don't delete it, enter the competition! And tweet a few things about how you're excited for glastonbury :) Sorry we were mean, didn't mean to scorn you at all. It's just getting to desperate times for tickets so we're all a little on edge, and it sometimes feels a bit like we're being cheated after putting in a lot of effort to resales (though none of us have a divine right to a ticket, bought or otherwise!)