The N Word

MrZigster

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not an easy minefield to maneuver - but you know what? Fuck that! That word basically plagued my childhood, and (until I was old enough/ strong enough to know better) succeeded in making me feel like an outsider to a large extent. If it's now making a few people feel uncomfortable during song recitals because it's been reclaimed and subverted - then that's too bad.

You've got that part completely wrong, at least for where I'm coming from. I don't feel uncomfortable for me with whiteys reciting that word, I feel uncomfortable for you (I don't mean that in the patronising way that might sound, btw - please read on).

You mention how you've been abused all your life and that's of course a bad thing. But do you think that everything of that abuse stays unchanged no matter what happens in wider society, or might changes in wider society lessen or increase the abuse you might get?

From where i'm sat and with what i've seen with my own eyes over the period of my life, I'm firmly of the belief that the amount of abuse directed at black people has lessened during the time that the use of the word was considered 100% taboo by 'polite society', and that the amount of abuse has started to rise again as the word has become more common again (whether thru 'black ownership' or racist use). I'm pretty sure that's a view that the majority of older black people would go with, too. I'd rather not see people racially abused (both directly and indirectly).

Edited by eFestivals

If we're moving away from the old racist language and attitudes, maybe you should be referring to "white people" as such and not whitey or whiteys, (you wouldn't use "blackie" would you?) I'm sure other races are also capable of anti black racism too. (though I know that historically it has been mainly european white repression). Time to move on.

If we're moving away from the old racist language and attitudes, maybe you should be referring to "white people" as such and not whitey or whiteys, (you wouldn't use "blackie" would you?) I'm sure other races are also capable of anti black racism too. (though I know that historically it has been mainly european white repression). Time to move on.

PMSL .... I'm pretty sure the irony has passed (not just) you by. :lol:

Giving the racists permission to be openly racist again is not traffic in only one direction.

simonsimondock, on 20 Mar 2015 - 5:54 PM, said:snapback.png

But who's giving racists permission to be openly racist? I'm certainly not standing for that anyway.

If you as a black man can claim a right to use a particular word in public spaces, then so can others - and they do.

I don't get your point.

First of all, I'm actually brown.

Second of all, how does that infer that I'm giving them permission to be racist? The word 'faggot' exists in our society, does that mean people can be openly homophobic?

simonsimondock, on 20 Mar 2015 - 5:54 PM, said:snapback.png

I don't get your point.

First of all, I'm actually brown.

Second of all, how does that infer that I'm giving them permission to be racist? The word 'faggot' exists in our society, does that mean people can be openly homophobic?

Gay people don't call each other faggot though

So what is your point?

I'm just saying that it doesn't give people permission to be anything just because the word exists.

Black people calling each other nigger perpetuates the use amongst racists "if they can use it so can I" attitude. If gay people refered to themselves as faggots the same thing would happen. The stupids of the world would find it ok to refer to gay people as faggots.

Black people calling each other nigger perpetuates the use amongst racists "if they can use it so can I" attitude. If gay people refered to themselves as faggots the same thing would happen. The stupids of the world would find it ok to refer to gay people as faggots.

So do you think that the use of queer as a homophobic insult has risen as a result of its reappropriation by the LGBTQ community?

So do you think that the use of queer as a homophobic insult has risen as a result of its reappropriation by the LGBTQ community?

Queer is quite an ambiguous word. It's never had the same "homophobic" connotations as faggot. If someone is referred to as queer In a lot of cases it means strange.

Edited by salvador wali

Black people don't just call other black people it - it is often applied to any male. I think it's used a lot in latin communities too.

Just to be clear. Not my viewpoint. It is however an excuse racist people tend to fall back on time and time again

Oh, sorry, I didn't for a moment believe it was, hope I didn't give that impression. I got that it was given as an example of it's use.

Sorry, I'm not going through this all again! Have a read of the past few pages because I've tried to explain my view. I have lots gay friends that refer to themselves as what would be described as "unacceptable" by many others.

So basically, do YOU personally call people niggers because some black people use the term? I would imagine your answer will be no.

So why do you assume other people will? Yes I realise (some*) other people are (can be*) thick. But let them find out what happens when you use it in the wrong context. Then they will understand it's not acceptable.

EDITS IN BRACKETS*

Edited by simonsimondock