Justin Timberlake to headline?

Guest 5co77ie

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That point would make sense if it had taken them 26 years to reach subheadline status. The Script certainly won't rise above it. NIN have been huge for decades; the point was that after this long they're still having success; something that rarely happens if you aren't a talented band.

NIN wouldnt rise above subbing at V, each is credible at their chosen festivals. Both could play other festivals on the same line up, but they wouldnt swap. Both are talented, but The Script have had 2 number 1 albums and a number 2 in the space of 5 years, so there must be some talent there. Not many bands from the last 5 years will be big in 10 years time from now, but that is the way music is now. V shows that

Justin Timberlake isn't the worst possible headliner V could have got this year, yeah he's a pop act but he has got some decent songs and he is a pretty good producer.

Doesn't mean i'm getting a V ticket, but whoever is into that is probably going to enjoy it.

It's all down to taste isn't it? As harsh as it some people probably prefer simpler music, some enjoy more experimental credible music. But in the end, V bookers don't care, because they don't aim to book a lineup full of credible acts they just want a quick sell out, that's not me bashing the festival thats me actually stating what the festival aims for!

Bands get #1's by establishing a fan base.

You have to remember, bands like the script have one thing alot of more experimental and iconic bands didn't have, radio.

Bands like the script can acquire a fan base stupidly quick with radio, by making radio friendly songs and stripping any possible ways of being creative or different.

Bands like Radiohead etc had to gain their fans by producing good enough music for people to buy, bands like the script write an album of jingles, send songs off to radio and shove their music in the general publics face.

You have to remember, bands like the script have one thing alot of more experimental and iconic bands didn't have, radio.

Bands like the script can acquire a fan base stupidly quick with radio, by making radio friendly songs and stripping any possible ways of being creative or different.

Bands like Radiohead etc had to gain their fans by producing good enough music for people to buy, bands like the script write an album of jingles, send songs off to radio and shove their music in the general publics face.

Then how can anyone argue that V is credible when it's the most commercial festival in the UK, heck even radio one's big weekend isn't as commercial seeing as they even have the deceny to give their tickets for free!

V's sole purpose is to sell out in under 2 hours and they do this by booking who's big now! They book safe and keep safe. The fact they book KOL every 2 years shows they don't give a shit about credibility, they just want a guitar headliner that's around so they can grab money from another genre of music fans (less into mainstream pop, but still into mainstream pop).

Wow I started something here! Here's how I see it. V is the festival badge for post a-level teens, it has more dickheads per square metre than any other festival, not saying everyone, but you don't need glasses to see there's a problem. The line ups are full of 1 album wonders who in 10 years time non of you will be talking about (mentioning the script and radiohead in the same breathe is shocking might I add). And no pothunic, O/P wasn't aimed at you it was aimed at the general V going audience, and as seen here, is not just my opinion