Travelling light

Guest obligatory username

Hello :bye:

I am a newbie but have been lurking for quite some time now. My attempt to get tickets for this year's glastonbury was a complete failure, so I have been driving myself crazy reading all your reports and reviews! Maybe next year...

Was hoping to get your opinions on something since you're all just back from a fest. I have one coming up in August, and would really like not to bring so much crap with me this time round. I always end up lugging a load of stuff in that I don't even use and then lugging it all home again. I think it's some irrational fear of fields and portaloos and camping, but I am going to try to be more rational this time round.

Anyway, what I would like to know is, is there anything you brought and didn't use? What could you do without? How little is too little? I am thinking of experimenting with this fest so when I get tickets for next year's glasto (have to be optimistic!) and will be arriving from overseas it'll be easier.

There were very few things I didn't need but they were all lightweight anyway eg spare tent pegs, headache tablets etc Not sure what advice to give you. One piece of advice given out on here which I found quite useful was to put all your kit and your money into two separate piles. Then remove half the kit and double the amount of money. Then go to the festival with that. This seems to be a good rule of thumb. I guess you've got to ask yourself what you consider essential and what would be luxuries. Then don't pack the luxuries.

Over the years I've been keeping lists of stuff I've taken and if I haven't used something it comes off the list. I've got it down to carrying everything on my back in one not-too-heavy bag.

Everyone's different though, and what one person can't do without is a luxury for another.

Thank you both for the replies! Much appreciated.

One piece of advice given out on here which I found quite useful was to put all your kit and your money into two separate piles. Then remove half the kit and double the amount of money. Then go to the festival with that. This seems to be a good rule of thumb.

• 2 weeks later...

I AM THE WORST OVER PACKER EVER, BUT..........

I have learnt a few tips regarding clothes anyway;

Take shorts they pack smaller and in the evening you can just add tights (no playsuits noone wants to get completely naked in a porta loo!!)

Layer up dont take bulky jumpers just thin ones you can layer

Scarfs are a brilliant cover up in the sun and keep you warm in the evening!

vest tops and tshirts roll up pretty smal and you will probs only wear 3 out of the 10 you take! (thats me!)

Leggings 1 thermal pair 1 normal pair the thermal ones can be used as PJ's too (please note leggins are not trousers and should not be teamed with a crop top... this is essential!!)

Roll everything so you have more space!!

other than that i wouldnt worry too much you can just go naked to European festivals :)

Edited by Marley Barbie

lol doesn't matter wot advice you are given or wether you take it on board you will ALWAYS pack to much ....only way to not pack to much is NOT to pack at all just tent and £££ and wot you have on your back :sarcastic:

good luck getting tix this time round old son

Buy a trolley!! I got one for this year for about £20 from Argos and it was the 2nd best thing I've ever brought no hassle with achy shoulders or anything...

Sheewee's are a godsend this was the best thing i ever got, just incase you were wondering

I always take too much and bring a load of stuff back unused. But the problem is preparing for uncertainty. Take wet weather gear and you'll get glorious sunshine. Don't take it and the skies will open.

Take a load of food to cook/eat and there will be excellent food stalls on site. Don't take your own and the food on offer will be overpriced rubbish.

Same with booze.

Our group festival supplies list has grown steadily with our advancing years to the point where this year I took a two plastic garden tables and five chairs. It was so nice to be be able to sit at a table and eat in chairs that were at the right height as opposed to eating off low portable fold up chairs. Just to be silly I even took a tablecloth. The people near us at the Village Pump Festival even had a candelabra to go on their table!

Done are my travelling light festival days - mind you I've had to move up to towing a caravan and another of our group has a VW Camper to accommodate all we take,

I always take too much and bring a load of stuff back unused. But the problem is preparing for uncertainty. Take wet weather gear and you'll get glorious sunshine. Don't take it and the skies will open.

Take a load of food to cook/eat and there will be excellent food stalls on site. Don't take your own and the food on offer will be overpriced rubbish.

Same with booze.

Our group festival supplies list has grown steadily with our advancing years to the point where this year I took a two plastic garden tables and five chairs. It was so nice to be be able to sit at a table and eat in chairs that were at the right height as opposed to eating off low portable fold up chairs. Just to be silly I even took a tablecloth. The people near us at the Village Pump Festival even had a candelabra to go on their table!

Done are my travelling light festival days - mind you I've had to move up to towing a caravan and another of our group has a VW Camper to accommodate all we take,

• 2 weeks later...

I did pack light this year and my bag still weighed a ton!

I think what I've learnt is not to take so many crates. Next year I'm going to take more spirits - easier to carry and last longer.

I think I took too many clothes. I prepared for all weather types, so took way too many layers that were bulky in my bag. I took two jumpers, one I never wore (which was really bulky) and a thinner one which kept me warm and layered with my coat was fine. I took a flannel shirt just in case I needed it for extra warmth but I didn't!

I took a big bottle of sun cream which I obviously used because of the hot weather, but I only used a fraction of it so a pocket size version probably would have been fine. Carrying around a bigger bottle when I'm away from the camp site annoyed me too anyway. Same with dry shampoo really - I took a bigger bottle but only used it once!

Apart from that, I needed everything else so don't think I could have packed any lighter.

Edited by yellowsnow

Here are some tips for packing light:

• Make a checklist of every item you plan to take on your trip.
  • Plan your outfits ahead of time to avoid over-packing.
  • Buy travel-size containers for your toiletries, regardless of the length of your trip.
  • If you will be going through customs, check your luggage prior to packing.
  • Place heavy items at the bottom of your bag, especially if it is an upright model.
  • Pack clothing using the time-honored “roll” technique.
  • Pack sweaters, jackets, and underwear in reusable compression bags, which can create up to 75% more space in your luggage.
  • Place breakable items, like jewelry or glass, wrapped in socks and tucked into shoes inside your luggage.
  • Buy wide clip rings.
  • Remember that trips are meant for fun and rest, not stress!

I hope you would find these tips helpful.

Edited by mikal