Trolley for carrying a couple of fairly light tents?

Guest johnmcga

Long time since I've posted here, but perhaps someone can help...

I'm after suggestions for a small, lightweight, portably trolley / hand truck type thing that would be up to lugging two tents (one three-person, one four-person - so relatively light) across London to Paddington, then - ideally - across the site to wherever we end up camping.

Basically I'm taking a mate's tent down in addition to my own, and I can't be bothered carrying it all by hand like I've done in the past.

I'm not interested in carrying beer or other heavy stuff, so I figure I can get away with something relatively lightweight (and, ideally, cheap!).

Any suggestions welcome - cheers!

Edited by johnmcga

I've got this one http://www.funkyleisure.co.uk/evolution-folding-festival-trolley-1531-p.asp

been using it since 2009 & taken it to 3 glastonburys & 2 downloads and its still going strong :)

It folds up pretty small too so it fits in my tent porch as well

Edited by mkgirl1981

I have a fishing trolley similar to the one on the above post. I carried tents, 2 boxes of ciders, and other assorted stuff on it for Bestival last year and had no problems with it. There's one on ebay - see below;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New-Deluxe-Folding-Fishing-Trolley-Folds-Flat-Pneumatic-Tyres-/360610028978?pt=UK_SportingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item53f6085db2

Thanks everyone, appreciate the tips.

Have had a slight change of plan as it turns out the tent is heavier than expected, so I'm taking the flysheet down on Wednesday and my mate's bringing the rest on Thursday. However, I'm still going to investigate trolleys in order to save my poor back!

My tip is don't use one.

Hit a stone, your tents come off.

Hit a rut, your tents come off.

Bad weather and going across a slope? Your trolley will want to go down the slope.

Seen so many people struggling so many times as me and my mate blast past carrying all our stuff. Just not worth it. You'll need two hands to push/pull it (both have their own problems, btw), don't forget, so are you really saying you can't carry two "relatively light" tents in two arms?

My tip is don't use one.

Hit a stone, your tents come off.

Hit a rut, your tents come off.

Bad weather and going across a slope? Your trolley will want to go down the slope.

Seen so many people struggling so many times as me and my mate blast past carrying all our stuff. Just not worth it. You'll need two hands to push/pull it (both have their own problems, btw), don't forget, so are you really saying you can't carry two "relatively light" tents in two arms?

That's the point. "If using a trolley is easier."

I've never had to, being male, relatively young and relatively fit (less so in both those final two areas as I age, clearly). However, I've seen every demographic group really, really struggling with sack trucks and the like in the past. Check out NME's 60 photos to get you in the mood for glasto, for example. There's one guy trying to drag his wheeled contraption through mud, and it would probably be better with skis!

I would contend that the answer to "if using a trolley is easier" is "it's not. It's really not."

(disclaimer: as with any generalisation, there will be specific times when it is, but assuming you are of sound body and mind, I reckon it's probably better to carry your stuff)