T in the Park 2013

Guest Chiefski

• Replies 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#asktitp was a bollox waste of time, I know they never retweeted my question so I take it you guys were the same.

To all those eulogising Glastonbury, my first was 19 years ago. It blows nothing out the water, my first T was far better. Strummervile last year was much more memorable.

As I said to gazza, I am old hahahaha

The energy at T is very very special....

I asked why the emphasis seems to be going away from the rockier bands. I don't really care about the pop bands, I can ignore then and understand they do attract a certain percentage of the crowd. I think more bands like The Black Keys should be booked, most of the guitar music is a little too soft.

I also asked why timing wasn't publisised in advance, no answer of course.

I think your first question is a good one and I wish they did answer it. I think the answer is rock bands are more expensive to book. We've had bands like Airbourne, Papa Roach, Jimmy eat world etc. play in the not too distant past but they never had great slots, normally about half way down on the NME stage. Now I imagine acts like this will be wanting the same fee from DF concerts to play at TITP as they would be getting from playing a fest like Download or Leeds where they would have a much higher slot. A lot of people have stated that queens of the Stone Age would have been a good Radio 1 stage headliner, but I imagine they would prob be looking for a fee double what Beady eye will be getting. The other issue is that not a lot of rock bands are touring the uk or nearby Europe just now and bigger name acts aren't going to go out their way to play a stand-alone festival in Scotland.

As for giving us a timetable of the acts beforehand, that's never going to happen unfortunately. It's an easy way to make money and most festivals these days do it. Glastonbury is the notable exception, but it would be a bit ridiculous if you turned up there with no idea when stuff was on given the amount of stuff going on at one time and acts playing multiple sets etc

R&L and Download give the times beforehand but yeah it's a legit money-making exercise for the more corporate festivals like T and V (and I think IOW as well). Not sure what the mid-size festivals like Rockness or Bestival do but a lot of smaller ones will give times but still rely on the goodwill of their punters to still buy a programme or lanyard as a souvenier. Most major festivals don't create a great deal of goodwill or a desire in their customers to want to financially support the festival like smaller ones do.

From website..

"Lucozade will be on board this year raising the energy at the festival. Join them for a party at the Lucozade YES Arena with a high energy roller disco during the day and a headphone disco at night, bag exclusive gear in their festival giveaways and get a morning-after energy boost with Lucozade Energy delivered direct to your tent."

Yeah, there was a tent outside the entrance where they handed out free lucozade last year. Had loads of different flavours too if I remember right. And in the mornings folk from lucozade were handing out free crates (of lucozade) at the water points

Yeah, there was a tent outside the entrance where they handed out free lucozade last year. Had loads of different flavours too if I remember right. And in the mornings folk from lucozade were handing out free crates (of lucozade) at the water points