Kendal Calling 2012

Guest Flaminglippy

So it looks like I'll be back at Kendal this year. I enjoyed it more than Leeds festival last year and it's half the price too. The only thing I think they need to sort out are the toilet facilities, I distinctly remember feeling ill last year just because of the smell when they still hadn't been cleaned at 6 in the morning <_<

Anyway, what's the likelihood of someone like Bloc Party or Franz Ferdinand headlining one of the nights? They'll both be releasing albums later in the year (or so I hope) and aren't too big for the festival I don't think.

Also, is it worth getting Emperors field tickets? I noticed a lot of people staying there got away with getting drinks into the arena - I had a sealed bottle of water taken off of me going through the main arena gates :/

Is it a bit quieter than the main campsite too?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it looks like I'll be back at Kendal this year. I enjoyed it more than Leeds festival last year and it's half the price too. The only thing I think they need to sort out are the toilet facilities, I distinctly remember feeling ill last year just because of the smell when they still hadn't been cleaned at 6 in the morning <_<

Anyway, what's the likelihood of someone like Bloc Party or Franz Ferdinand headlining one of the nights? They'll both be releasing albums later in the year (or so I hope) and aren't too big for the festival I don't think.

Also, is it worth getting Emperors field tickets? I noticed a lot of people staying there got away with getting drinks into the arena - I had a sealed bottle of water taken off of me going through the main arena gates :/

Is it a bit quieter than the main campsite too?

Edited by Flaminglippy

Franz are headlining Field Day, wouldn't say that's a big festival. Bloc Party are recording again and are rumoured to be playing a few festivals this year I think. I don't even mind who's playing, I discovered a few bands I'd never seen before last year. I think they should get Vintage Trouble back in the riot jazz tent, that was my highlight of last year I think.

You must have been lucky then. I thought they could do with being split into male/female sections and having people attending to them frequently. I was surprised how clean they were at Leeds after Kendal!

the emperors field tickets are always a joy ! you park your car next to the tent so no lugging all your gear in to the fields, the toilets seemed really clean, there were showers in the emperors field and it was quiter so the wife and bairn got their kip ok, making them less grumpy in the morning !

i hardly got to see as many bands as i thought i would last year and the stage i thought id be at loads i hardly went to which was the calling out stage. Was totally different to the usual glastonbury trawl, going with the family as opposed to the lads gave me a strangely sober festival !

Always done Leeds and V, but back to festivals after a few years off.

Decided on Werchter and Kendal for a bit of a change.

Is this suitable for taking my 13/14 year old kids for their 1st fest? I would risk Glasto or Beautiful Days but not V or Leeds any more.

Thanks

That's the answer I was hoping for. Sounds well worth the extra tenner or so.

What's the capacity nowadays, I'm guessing it wont be 80k drunken chavs that I've got used to. Would love it to be 5 to 10K, and a whole new experience for me too?

I assume the car park doesnt take 8 hours to vacate either, lol?

Im pretty sure they increased the capacity laet year from 8000 to around 9000. The car parks were easy to get out of, put it this way its the first time ive been to a festival where in the emperors field several people drove their cars to the local town each morning to buy newspapers, bacon and buns ! Before driving back in and parking back up next to their tents. There was loads of space in the emperors field and it definately wasnt oversold.

There were also a good mix of food stalls which sold food at the usual festival prices. Having the car next to the tent gave you the security of knowing you could keep any valuables locked up through the day. Plus it was handy for storing your food and drink it and you knew you didnt have a massive trek to the car to get it.

I'll warn you though. Buy emperors field tickets early because they will sell out on day 1. Probably quite early.

I took my 10 year old to her 1st festival at kendal and she loved it last year, its not massive so they wont get lost plus theres loads of stewards around anyway. If your kids are quieter and less outgoing like mine you might be better plugging to pay the extra tenner or so for the emperors field which is more forr family camping where you can camp next to your car.

The other camping areas do seem to be over run by teens drinking all night ! But I didnt see any real trouble or fighting, just people enjoying themselves. It may be a bit noisy for the family at times. There were dedicated kids areas but at 13 they would be probably too old to enjoy them.

Im taking the family back again this year because of the good time they did have, I would be quite happy to let her go off on her own a bit and explore herself through the day this year having been before. I would feel different about letting her plod off on her own after dark though !

Edited by Flaminglippy

Yeah...we've camped in the general campsite for the last few years and noisy is right.

Definitely going down the Emperors Feilds route this year...I'm an old man...I need me kip

We've got our first rumour today...Serious Sam Barret (nope, me neither!).

Hopefully they'll have the security sorted this year then! Were there any robberies that you heard of?? We got done the first year we went...while we were asleep in the tent...bloody wish I'd woke when the scroat bag was there...I'm not a violent person but would have happily made an exception for somebody breaking into the tent whilst my missus is asleep.

the emperors was a tenner each extra last year, you could still buy a thursday pass and arrive then, gotta say thats what we did and by friday morning there were maybes 40 tents in the field at most ! if you get a ticket for the emperors an dont wanna go down thursday then dont worry you'll still get a decent spot.

as for when they go on sale, who knows !

Hello all, new to the forum and new to Kendal Calling. Basically been to Leeds Festival 4 consecutive years now and slowly but surely its got worse. First two years were brilliant, then the last two we've had problems. We always camp in Orange (if you are familiar) and its now just full of people who drink too much or take to many drugs and think its ok to act like a pleb. Im no kill-joy by any means but having things stolen and your gazebo smashed to pieces when it was lashing it down wasnt fun :(

Was seriously tempted by Kendal last year but never got around to organising it unfortunately. But this year I will attend! Ive just got a few questions...

We usually have around 12 of us, we are not quite and boring but not rowdy either, Id say were your average festival go'er who just likes a drink...

1) Upon that brief character description what site would suit us most at Kendal?

2) Can we camp next to our two tranny vans?

Thankyou in Advance :pogranichnik:

Hello all, new to the forum and new to Kendal Calling. Basically been to Leeds Festival 4 consecutive years now and slowly but surely its got worse. First two years were brilliant, then the last two we've had problems. We always camp in Orange (if you are familiar) and its now just full of people who drink too much or take to many drugs and think its ok to act like a pleb. Im no kill-joy by any means but having things stolen and your gazebo smashed to pieces when it was lashing it down wasnt fun :(

Was seriously tempted by Kendal last year but never got around to organising it unfortunately. But this year I will attend! Ive just got a few questions...

We usually have around 12 of us, we are not quite and boring but not rowdy either, Id say were your average festival go'er who just likes a drink...

1) Upon that brief character description what site would suit us most at Kendal?

2) Can we camp next to our two tranny vans?

Thankyou in Advance :pogranichnik:

Edited by Flaminglippy

You've only really got 3 campsites (correct me if I'm wrong guys!)...and two of them are in the same field...theres a 'family' bit...and a 'general' bit. The other one is the Emperors Fields which you have to pay extra for but which I'm reliably informed you can camp by your car. Even if you don't get the Emperors tix though...ain't much of a walk from the cars to camping. I'd say about 10-15 minutes tops when you're carrying your stuff...5 minutes when you're not.

We've camped in the general camping bit the last couple of years...had some noisy bleeders outside our tent this year but you'll get that anywhere.

Having done both Reading and Kendal...Kendal is just off the scale...such a massive difference in terms of atmosphere and size. No queues at the bar (plus you've got real ale and cider tents in addition to the usual lager pish)...get round the whole site in probably 5-10 minutes....and a lot fewer dickheads than you'd find at a major festival (still the occasional pissed up teenager but they're the exception not the rule)...loads of weird shit going on at all hours

Definitely can't recommend it highly enough chap