Few Questions/Concerns

Guest ExoGenesis

Hey,

First time Reading goer here. Heading down from Edinburgh with my girlfriend and got a few questions.

We're getting train down Friday morning and checking into a hotel at 12pm, where we're heading straight to the festival. We've yet to actually buy the Festival tickets (but based on how they're selling on Resale sites, that's not going to be hard). However, as we're planning on going to all 3 days we'll be buying a Weekend Camping ticket since there's no point buying 3 separate days ones, and I was just wondering what it's like getting in each day with a Camping Ticket?

I see loads of people asking this in the T in the Park forums (which I'm attending for the 3rd time this year) and I know all that it means there is that you have to enter the Campsite Entrance and walk all the way round to the arena. But I just want to make sure that's the same case at Reading? Also, what time do the Gates open and Shut at for the campsite, and when do the Shuttle Buses run from/until? (Apparently the Shuttle Bus service stops minutes away from our hotel).

And how much spending money do you reckon we'll need, considering we're staying at a hotel with provided breakfast? (So for a meal in the Arena and some booze?)

Sorry for all the questions, just a bit worried/inquisitive since it's such a long way from my "safe-zone"! :lol:

You'll exchange your weekend camping ticket for a wristband which you'll have to show to enter the campsite/ arena, easy enough. And yeah, you'll go through the campsite to get to the arena.

Can't comment on the shuttle bus service but I'd whole heartedly recommend you camp, the camping is great, you meet some new people and it's all good fun.

Pints were around £4 last year, £3.90 i think. So it depends on how much you drink, spirits/ wine are also insane as you'd imagien.

Food depends what you like to eat £5-7.50 for a meal.

Heres last years food pricelist for reference: http://media.livenation.co.uk/fido/publishing/content/z/x/l/Pricelist%202010.pdf

I spend a good couple of hundred when I go myself but I do wednesday - monday.

Edited by Mega Ross

Yeah you'll get a wristband when you first go in and exchange your ticket, that gives you access all weekend. There are two entrances that you can do this but once you have your wristband there are a couple of other entrances/exits that you can use. All the entrances lead you through campsite areas to the arena and they're open 24 hrs.

Out of interest why did you decide to come to Reading this year? The festival's got a bit of a pounding for the line-up and it's refreshing to see someone coming so far to attend. Any why Reading instead of Leeds?

Edited by mrtourette

Well, the question wasn't for me, but since I'm coming from Israel, which is even further than Edinburgh. I'll tell you my motivation of coming to Reading this year

1. the dates- It's simply the best festival I can attend...

2. Muse

3. Pulp

:-)

Thanks for the replies!

@Mega Ross, coming down with the Girlfriend, and whilst we camped solo at T in the Park last year, it never felt right. So we're thinking we'd prefer to get a hotel for the ease of it, rather than camping the two of us again. That coupled with the trek down with tent and such (and not being able to shower before the trip back up if we camped) Just feel hotel is a better idea for us.

Yeah you'll get a wristband when you first go in and exchange your ticket, that gives you access all weekend. There are two entrances that you can do this but once you have your wristband there are a couple of other entrances/exits that you can use. All the entrances lead you through campsite areas to the arena and they're open 24 hrs.

Out of interest why did you decide to come to Reading this year? The festival's got a bit of a pounding for the line-up and it's refreshing to see someone coming so far to attend. Any why Reading instead of Leeds?

I don't like the lineup, it's rubbish compared to other years but just good enough i'll go.

It's really bad value for money looking at the size of the bands, no big american acts you'd pay big money to see

MCR headlining was just a completely retarded move, I've heard so many people say they're crap live, and on youtube the videos don't indicate otherwise. Plus they've got like 2 songs which are mediocre at best.

When offspring are on that day as well, clearly the best band on the day and more deserving of a headline spot, bigger, going longer, and appeal to a larger audience.

Edited by Mega Ross

Seen My Chemical Romance 3 times as I said before, and not once have I been let down. They're incredible live. Put so much energy and passion into their shows, and enjoy every second of it. They're the band that know's they wouldn't be there without their fans, and puts all they can into live shows to reward them.

They are also massive, I don't see how they aren't big enough. MCR are without doubt, bigger than The Offspring. I love both bands, but there is no way The Offspring are anywhere near the size of MCR now.

Planetary (GO!) Live

If you seriously think The Offspring are bigger than My Chemical Romance nowadays, you really need to stop living 7 or 8 years in the past. (No offence meant with that)

Doesn't matter about now, completely irrelevant to size.

Offspring have been around longer, they are more established, they have sold more albums and they have stood the test of time and they have had more hits.

MCR had like 2 or 3 hits, and a load of 12 year olds jizzed all over them "OMG MCR ARE THE BEST EVAR!" see if they are still big in 10 years, doubt it muchly.

I don't listen to what is neccessarily popular or in, I listen to good music.

Crying "I'm not ok" into a microphone does not make for a quality piece of music, something for 14 year olds with fake problems to "relate to" maybe, and a bunch of girls can gush all over jared, but it's not a quality piece of music. They're the equivalent of a boy band with emo flicks, pretentious as f**k too.

I mean regardless of whether you liked the albums I know a die hard MCR fan, he went and saw them about 5 years ago. Said they were shit live, maybe they got better but from what I heard it was sloppy and out of tune.

I've seen offspring live 4 times, one of the times I was on crutches after. Absolutely brutal pits, the amount of energy in the crowd by far excels any band I've seen get big within the past decade. They get up there and play, and if you don't like it then they aren't gonna go cry and tell people how depressed they are through the medium of song. It's not gonna leave you on a downer.

Oh and lastly, MCR are subheadlining at many other festivals. They are not exclusives, they aren't good value for money headliners.

Edited by Mega Ross

No, The Offspring were pretty damn big. But not anymore. They're remembered for a few hit songs and that's it (which is a shame as I really like them, and am looking forward to their set). But MCR are bigger now, and that's what matters when it comes to festivals really.

MCR have also been around for 10 years now, and the majority of their songs are nothing like "I'm Not OK (I Promise)". I implore you to listen to songs like "Cemetery Drive", "Famous Last Words", "The Ghost of You", "Na Na Na", "SING", "Destroya" and "Planetary (GO!)". All completely different, all fantastic.

You've also clearly never listened to an MCR song, and instead jump on the "depressing emo" bandwagon. Which is quite amusing, since MCR write about the complete opposite, "helping you through" sort of. They also put everything into their shows. The amount of times they've been bottled by ignorant twats, yet continue to play the rest of their set, just for those fans that wanted to be there. (Side note: anyone who thinks they have the right to bottle, or threw piss at a band is a complete tool. Angers me so much.)

You seriously need to consider listening to a band, rather than slating them off because of generic stereotypes, that have absolutely no holding. Everything you've stated about them, has been entirely false (from the "depressing" music, to the "poor live band" and "Jared" who is infact 30STM front man ;) Gerard is the guy). The reason your friends gig might have been poor, was probably something to do with Gerard's drink/drug problem. I'm sure something like that was going on, not 100% though.

Also, as for the "Sub" thing. Holds absolutely nothing. The Strokes aren't exclusives, does that mean they're a silly addition too? Or was Beyonce headlining Glasto stupid, because she's only Subbing at T in the Park?

Each festival has different bars, and depending on other artists etc, it can result in the pecking order being different.

What about 2004, Muse headlining Glastonbury, only for them to be on NME/Radio 1 @ T in the Park (with The Darkness n Main).

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but I find it tiring all those that have clearly never listened to a band, and completely write them off, and stereotype them.

Also, I hope this doesn't come across too strong, not aiming to sound like a complete douche, nor holding any ill-will, just a general forum debate. (Can be slightly argumentative, and always worry Forum posts make me seem like a twat)

Edited by ExoGenesis

No, The Offspring were pretty damn big. But not anymore. They're remembered for a few hit songs and that's it (which is a shame as I really like them, and am looking forward to their set). But MCR are bigger now, and that's what matters when it comes to festivals really.

MCR have also been around for 10 years now, and the majority of their songs are nothing like "I'm Not OK (I Promise)". I implore you to listen to songs like "Cemetery Drive", "Famous Last Words", "The Ghost of You", "Na Na Na", "SING", "Destroya" and "Planetary (GO!)". All completely different, all fantastic.

You've also clearly never listened to an MCR song, and instead jump on the "depressing emo" bandwagon. Which is quite amusing, since MCR write about the complete opposite, "helping you through" sort of. They also put everything into their shows. The amount of times they've been bottled by ignorant twats, yet continue to play the rest of their set, just for those fans that wanted to be there. (Side note: anyone who thinks they have the right to bottle, or threw piss at a band is a complete tool. Angers me so much.)

You seriously need to consider listening to a band, rather than slating them off because of generic stereotypes, that have absolutely no holding. Everything you've stated about them, has been entirely false (from the "depressing" music, to the "poor live band" and "Jared" who is infact 30STM front man ;) Gerard is the guy). The reason your friends gig might have been poor, was probably something to do with Gerard's drink/drug problem. I'm sure something like that was going on, not 100% though.

Also, as for the "Sub" thing. Holds absolutely nothing. The Strokes aren't exclusives, does that mean they're a silly addition too? Or was Beyonce headlining Glasto stupid, because she's only Subbing at T in the Park?

Each festival has different bars, and depending on other artists etc, it can result in the pecking order being different.

What about 2004, Muse headlining Glastonbury, only for them to be on NME/Radio 1 @ T in the Park (with The Darkness n Main).

Sorry for going off on a tangent, but I find it tiring all those that have clearly never listened to a band, and completely write them off, and stereotype them.

Also, I hope this doesn't come across too strong, not aiming to sound like a complete douche, nor holding any ill-will, just a general forum debate. (Can be slightly argumentative, and always worry Forum posts make me seem like a twat)

Offspring are more established, being established generates higher ticket sales.

Why do you think bands like the Who can charge £50 a ticket and still sell out with half the original lineup, because they are so established.

Listened to three cheers and black parade, both were cringeworthy, some of the songs were ok in the way that a small local band has one or two ok songs but really needs to work on it.

I gave MCR a chance and then some, they were shit then and they're shit now, all sounds the same, all kind of depressing.

"The black parade" if that isn't about a bunch of emo kids following each other through life sucking each other depressed dicks then I don't know what it is about. Helping you through? Helping you through what?

Implying you have problems, ha, you wouldn't know real problems if they hit you in the balls my friend.

I'm pissed off the strokes are there taking the top spot too, but at least the strokes have headlined before when they were at their peak. Which for MCR would have been about the time black parade came out.

I'll be prepared to bet that MCR have sold more tickets as headliners than The Offspring would have. The Offspring are one of the bands that I'm looking forward to the most but looking at it objectively they would have been weaker headliners than MCR, who I have absolutely no interest in seeing at all. The poor ticket sales aren't solely down to the line-up as there has been weaker line-ups that have sold out.

Also without knowing what bands have been paid in the past and what they're being paid this year the vlaue-for-money argument is completely subjective as it can only be based on how each individual rates the bands. It's only based on opinion; if you like the bands then it's good value for money and if you don't then it probably isn't. If we had a list of what everyone's paid it would be easy to say if the the total cost of bands is a lot less than last year but there's no way of knowing. The argument about big American bands is weak as I wouldn't be surprised if Muse cost more than most big American bands.

Edited by mrtourette

Every single person I've spoken to thinks they are a weak headliner, there was outrage on all of the festival forums when it announced and it can't have just been there because melvin benn was defending it in interviews around that time.

Every poll I've seen has voted the top 3 muse, jimmy eat world and offspring with strokes coming in 4th.

I mean value for money for the consumer, look at the ticket price of the festival. Now look at what you'd pay to see the bands on offer.

Now compare that to what you'd pay for the acts on previous years.

MCR are too small to be value for money.

Why would I give a shit what FR paid? They're gonna rip us off regardless.

Edited by Mega Ross

I agree, they are a weak headliner, but The Offspring would have been weaker. A great third band, a questionable sub-headliner (although better than 30STM) and a very weak headliner. MCR headlining would have attracted more people than The Offspring would have, but it probably pissed off more people who already had a ticket. That's where all of the discontent (including myself) comes from.

I get your point about what you'd pay to see bands, but it still depends on your personal taste. If you would pay good money to see Muse, Elbow, Interpol, Pulp, Strokes, MCR and 30STM at £30 a pop then it's value for money. If there aren't many bands you would pay to see then yeah it wouldn't, but that will vary from person to person.

Most of the bands I want to see are low down the stages and if you added up the cost of seeing those bands at their own gigs it probably wouldn't add up to the cost of the ticket, but it'll also be a good weekend so I'd probably consider it reasonable value for money, but I still agree the line-up does have a some questionable gaps.

I agree, they are a weak headliner, but The Offspring would have been weaker. A great third band, a questionable sub-headliner (although better than 30STM) and a very weak headliner. MCR headlining would have attracted more people than The Offspring would have, but it probably pissed off more people who already had a ticket. That's where all of the discontent (including myself) comes from.

I get your point about what you'd pay to see bands, but it still depends on your personal taste. If you would pay good money to see Muse, Elbow, Interpol, Pulp, Strokes, MCR and 30STM at £30 a pop then it's value for money. If there aren't many bands you would pay to see then yeah it wouldn't, but that will vary from person to person.

Most of the bands I want to see are low down the stages and if you added up the cost of seeing those bands at their own gigs it probably wouldn't add up to the cost of the ticket, but it'll also be a good weekend so I'd probably consider it reasonable value for money, but I still agree the line-up does have a some questionable gaps.

Hey,

I know what you mean about lugging tents and stuff, and not showering before the trip back, but there is no way I wouldn't camp at a festival.

To make it more comfortable we now lug camping beds and camp in white to get enough quiet for a reasonable nights sleep too. We are trying to save money and go on the bus this year so travelling with al the stuff will be even more of a pain. And will still be getting the train back unshowered. Its fine for a few stops out of Reading, but byt he time we've passed Birmingham there are so few festi goers left you stand out a bit more, but I've never let it bother me!

I know what you mean about it being a bit wierd camping with just a couple of you, but there are plenty of folk on here who arrange to meet up with others to get a better camp feel.

We've adopted lonely campers in the past too!

I agree that fests aren't just about the big bands but I hate this specific arguement as if you work it on money per band the bands on low on the bill will play 30-45mins where as at their own gigs they will get a lot longer. I remember watching Sonic Boom 6 open mainstage and they played for 30mins and they have 4 proper albums and a few others too and at their shows they will play for a hour so you're not getting the same experience.

I think every fests needs to have a few bands you don't like on mainstage so you have to go off and see what's on other stages and in the past I've discover great acts through this.

As for Mega Ross's arguement that more established bands should headlined that's not true as look at Download, Def Leppard headlined and is was a dismal crowd turnout compared to Pendulum and tix prices are no indictaion of headline status as I was tempted to get tixs to see Da La Soul a few years ago but tixs were £55 and not a chance in hell he would headline R&L or festivals like Glasto where he's more likely to play.

Hey,

First time Reading goer here. Heading down from Edinburgh with my girlfriend and got a few questions.

We're getting train down Friday morning and checking into a hotel at 12pm, where we're h<<<<__________Schniiip________>>>>>>And how much spending money do you reckon we'll need, considering we're staying at a hotel with provided breakfast? (So for a meal in the Arena and some booze?)

Sorry for all the questions, just a bit worried/inquisitive since it's such a long way from my "safe-zone"! :lol:

Edited by Benj

Hey,

I know what you mean about lugging tents and stuff, and not showering before the trip back, but there is no way I wouldn't camp at a festival.

To make it more comfortable we now lug camping beds and camp in white to get enough quiet for a reasonable nights sleep too. We are trying to save money and go on the bus this year so travelling with al the stuff will be even more of a pain. And will still be getting the train back unshowered. Its fine for a few stops out of Reading, but byt he time we've passed Birmingham there are so few festi goers left you stand out a bit more, but I've never let it bother me!

I know what you mean about it being a bit wierd camping with just a couple of you, but there are plenty of folk on here who arrange to meet up with others to get a better camp feel.

We've adopted lonely campers in the past too!

Getting a Hotel at Reading is the best decision I've ever made, after 04, we've hoteled every year, it makes the experience so much more fun these days! A nice lie in, bit of telly, shower, quick lunch from Pret or similar, grab a beer for the walk and head on in (Im 34)

The walk back to the town is shorter than to White too!

Fair do's, I think for us (because we don't get to do many festivals) the fact that we are more cut off makes more of the festival experience. Over the years we have 'upgraded' our experience a bit over the years, and I can see us trying to find a way to be in a campervan soon, but I thinkwe are a good few years off the hotel experience!

But each to their own eh? its what makes festivaling such a great thing

Well, I'm probably going to get a train down. Got a friend who can find cheap tickets REALLY well (her and her fiance are travelling from Edinburgh, to Burnley, to Manchester, to London and back to Edinburgh for only £68 each). So she's gonna help us try and get decent priced train fares. If that fails, we were looking at National Express I think for the coach. Either that or Megabus, cant remember! But it stopped a fair it away from the city centre (taxi distance).

If I manage to get the train sorted, I can pass on how we did it to you if you want?