Timber Timbre

Twin Shadow

Kurt Vile & the violators

Woods

Samamidon

Gordon Gano and the Ryans

Lykke li

Darren Hanlon

Actually kinda weird in that so far I'd only class John Grant and Dan Mangan as "must-sees" and DM is a very recent conversion.......but that list really is over half the line-up now....and there's still 5/6 I haven't investigated

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I haven't seen Rue Royal before they have done several gigs with my friend's band. Hes always telling me how much he loves them :) So I am looking forward to seeing them. She Keeps Bees did the last set of 09 and were good fun Infinate Jest...I think you will enjoy them too

Edited by perfectpassion

I'm with you there. In my Peel listening heyday (mostlymy Uni days '86-'89) I used to get annoyed that he would play The Fall every 15 minutes cos I couldn't bear them - I was sat waiting patiently for a blast of bIG fLAME or a new Half Man Half Biscuit or Bogshed session - but I've mellowed. Not that I've got much of their stuff - really only one compilation album, and that's pretty much all I'm ever likely to get. But I have recently read The Fallen by Dave Simpson, where he has gone on a search to find all the ex-members of the band, and as a result I'm fascinated by the band's dynamic, and am interested in seeing how they approach EOTR.

Yep saw Drum Eyes at very close quarters for the end of their set in the Tipi last year (to get to the front for the Felice Brothers). To be honest they freaked the bejeezus out of me, was feeling a bit fragile after a few ales and they certainly didn't hold back :unsure:

Listening to 'Gira Gira' now and watching some live videos of Drum Eyes - I think they'd be by far the best choice for the Caribou slot even if they're not even half as big as the likes of Health. I can picture a devastating performance or at least one which will go down in the memory for a long time.

Dan Mangan jumped into my Must Sees...

"Robots"...had it on an Oh! Canada mix a while back but never really listened to it...it is SO catchy...could be a singalong anthem methinks (good vid too):

Must Sees

Joanna Newsom

Midlake

The Leisure Society

Dry the River

Micah P Hinson

Joan as Policewoman

Beirut

Megafaun

Doug Paisley

Dan Mangan

Although I haven't seen Rue Royal before they have done several gigs with my friend's band. Hes always telling me how much he loves them :) So I am looking forward to seeing them. She Keeps Bees did the last set of 09 and were good fun Infinate Jest...I think you will enjoy them too

Bands I cannot miss

John Grant

Micah P Hinson

The Leisure Society

Megafaun

Perfume Genius

Woods

Rue Royale

Bands I’d like to see

Beirut

Midlake

Best Coast

Joan as Policewoman

Josh T Pearson

Sam Amidon

Cambodian Space Project

Dan Mangan

The Fresh & Onlys

Lanterns on the Lake

Lightning Dust

She Keeps Bees

Wild Nothing

Emanuel & The Fear

Cambodian Space Project

White Denim

Lia Ices

Ok, my list is growing despite my initial disappointment at some of the bigger names announced. Those in red I've just added, in fact this year is totally about the smaller bands for me. Also want to add to the Rue Royale love in this thread :D

I can't believe there's practically no sign of The Deadly Syndrome in anyone's list. I've even ordered Nolens Volens on vinyl, so much do I like it!

Do me a favour guys and try to listen to 'Wingwalker' or 'Armrest' from the album (not sure if they're on Spotify as I don't use it much) and then let me know what you think. They are amongst the top few finds for me so far of the EoTR line-up...

Ben

I can't believe there's practically no sign of The Deadly Syndrome in anyone's list. I've even ordered Nolens Volens on vinyl, so much do I like it!

Do me a favour guys and try to listen to 'Wingwalker' or 'Armrest' from the album (not sure if they're on Spotify as I don't use it much) and then let me know what you think. They are amongst the top few finds for me so far of the EoTR line-up...

Ben

Ben

Do you know what? The new Mogwai record is bloody good. Can I urge anyone who has, thus far, decided that The 'Gwai are not for them to give Hardcore... a really good run for its money. I LOVE post-rock, as many of you know. For me, Mogwai are not the post-rock sound, style, vibe that I usually go for. I could easily have seen myself dipping into bits and bobs for a listen and not liking them very much. But after giving the new album some serious attention, it is a real grower. I can even envisage being in the Garden with waves of crashing beauty washing over my smiling face. It won't be EITS, but it's going to be great! Listen to Death Rays a few times. Listen to the first four or five tracks in album order. It really is high quality stuff. No self-indulgent, melody-free noodling here. No over-blown quiet-loud-quiet-loud formulaic ideas-lacking here. It's just bloody good. With no singing!

Ben

Edited by bennyhana22