Does anyone have a slight feeling the 3rd headliner could be...

Guest VCK

Blink were part of Pop-Punk, a movement which meant pretty much nothing in the long run, it just consisted of a bunch of American "dudes" who wore baggy shorts and sang about skateboarding and having sex whilst strumming 3 power chords. Pulp were one of the leading acts in Britpop, one of the greatest movements in Alternative Music in recent years which helped shape Indie music. (For better or for worse, you decide, but it's legacy is more than notable)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm standing by my prediction that they are either gonna pull the Arctic Monkeys to play again, or The Killers. I know they both played recently but i just think it's realistic. Especially as Brandon Flowers he wants to go back to The Killers and they haven't been announced anywhere else yet.

I'm standing by my prediction that they are either gonna pull the Arctic Monkeys to play again, or The Killers. I know they both played recently but i just think it's realistic. Especially as Brandon Flowers he wants to go back to The Killers and they haven't been announced anywhere else yet.

The thing that was so great about Britpop was that it wasn't f**king American. We 'got' bands like Green Day, The Offspring, Blink 182 because they're bands that are quite easy to 'get' once they've been homogenised and shoved in front of our faces on MTV, same with a band like MCR. They're like McDonald's - a deeply unhealthy biproduct of a commercial and unethical industry that lacks in any real depth or nutrition but is shoved out on a plate because it's easier for us to consume it that way. I don't have the time for bands like that because I don't consider myself to be an ignorant sod.

Britpop spoke to people in Britain on a completely different level of understanding because it was so distinctly 'us' and about 'us' made by people who were like 'us'. I hate Oasis but Noel Gallagher said something that typified the whole ethos of Britpop by saying something to the effect of, "what's the point in going to America where we're nobodies when we can stay in Britain and be legends?"

Britpop gave us back our identity and I think as a nation of real music lovers we should be proud of that.

I didn't suggest that we shouldn't enjoy and be proud of Britpop, and I'm quite happy to say I'm a big fan of it as well. I don't, however, see why pop-punk and bands like MCR should be disliked on the basis that they're American. Its a bit simplistic to call them all unhealthy and commercial. Nobody makes you listen to any of these bands, people listen to them because they enjoy them.

I didn't suggest that we shouldn't enjoy and be proud of Britpop, and I'm quite happy to say I'm a big fan of it as well. I don't, however, see why pop-punk and bands like MCR should be disliked on the basis that they're American. Its a bit simplistic to call them all unhealthy and commercial. Nobody makes you listen to any of these bands, people listen to them because they enjoy them.

The thing that was so great about Britpop was that it wasn't f**king American. We 'got' bands like Green Day, The Offspring, Blink 182 because they're bands that are quite easy to 'get' once they've been homogenised and shoved in front of our faces on MTV, same with a band like MCR. They're like McDonald's - a deeply unhealthy biproduct of a commercial and unethical industry that lacks in any real depth or nutrition but is shoved out on a plate because it's easier for us to consume it that way. I don't have the time for bands like that because I don't consider myself to be an ignorant sod.

Britpop spoke to people in Britain on a completely different level of understanding because it was so distinctly 'us' and about 'us' made by people who were like 'us'. I hate Oasis but Noel Gallagher said something that typified the whole ethos of Britpop by saying something to the effect of, "what's the point in going to America where we're nobodies when we can stay in Britain and be legends?"

Britpop gave us back our identity and I think as a nation of real music lovers we should be proud of that.

Edited by Bahn

When Michael Jackson gets on a stage, starts parading around a bunch of kids not 3 years after having child abuse charges dropped, attempting in some way to emulate Jesus, there is nothing more refreshing to the senses than seeing some mad dude from Sheffield jump up on the stage and wave his arse at him. You won't get that kind of thing from America and that's why I thhink Britpop was such a good thing to happen.

vck and hedgehog do you actully know when britpop was? how old were you?

it wasnt some long movement going on at all.

vck you talking about blur being experimental and avant garde, what utter tosh. during britpop blur were playin the cheeky chappie stuff like parklife.

basically britpop was an exscuse of pissed up lads getting pissed and having a fight, and sara cox/zoe ball gettign pissed.

The thing I hate about The Strokes is that they became famous before anybody ever knew about them. I have nothing against their music but they were marketed as this great big back to basics distinctly New York band who trampled down on all the Nu Metal/Pop Punk bullshit that was doing the rounds late-90s and yet nobody in New York had ever even heard of them. They're a band the media turned into superstars and when they said jump, pop culture junkies said "how high?" because it was what everybody was asking for - a band with a "raw sound".

Libertines got big through being 'the British Strokes' - which I thought was more of a posh way of saying having a w*nk. People were looking for something to cling to because there was nothing there after Britpop died out and Libertines were the band for them to grasp at desperately.

vck you talking about blur being experimental and avant garde, what utter tosh. during britpop blur were playin the cheeky chappie stuff like parklife.

basically britpop was an exscuse of pissed up lads getting pissed and having a fight, and sara cox/zoe ball gettign pissed.

if you knew what you were talking about I wouldnt need to. It seems you get your information of those pissed up 90s programmes that are always on sateliite tv.

country house, avant garde? charmless man experimental?

must admit never known anyone call blur avant garde before. :rolleyes:

Edited by VCK

Britpop was part of a larger movement in British culture, yes it was all over quickly and it ended pretty badly, but the feel good factor at that time was amazing. TFI Friday, Liam and Patsy under a Union Jack duvet, Labour winning the 1997 election, Euro 96 in England, Trainspotting. Just a few things that happened in that period that made Britain cool again and gave us identity. Britpop was the soundtrack to this period and will be remembered for many years to come.

I think there's more than one issue coming up here. First of all, on the idea that American pop-punk is not worth listening to, I completely disagree. A lot's being made of the knob gags and the skater culture, but I don't really see what the problem is. The immaturity and the fun of pop-punk was the whole point, music shouldn't have to eb deadly serious all the time.

On whether or not British music is producing enough big bands, I agree, and this year especially has been pretty poor in terms of new British rock music, but I don't think that should be put down to liking American bands. If an American artist wants to make an album about American society and the problems of growing up there, then I'd love to listen to it as much as I would an English band.

we should end this now, this is a nasty tangent to the initial question and people clicking on pages hoping for relevant information will come to this circling argument where each side don't seem to understand points the other is making. As people said before, people seem to be shying away from the fact MCR have written a catchy album that peolpe will like and will cater to many of the prospective 16 year old Leeds goers. It is a very commercial festival if you like it or not.