Bestival 2011

Guest 5co77ie

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope it's not No Doubt, not because I have anything against them, I just think they're a very ordinary, 'nothingy' sort of band whose announcement will result in a shrug from most who are going. If the act isn't going to be 'big' then I want it to be someone who at least elicits some sort of reaction, good or bad (or both). Try to imagine this on Friday from Rob: "After months of speculation and rumours, I can finally reveal that the third headliner at this year's Bestival, closing the main stage on the Sunday, will be... NO DOUBT!!!" How many people would actually be delighted? How many people would be angry? It would, in my opinion, be a MASSIVE let down. As I say, nothing against them but I can't see that there'd be this much build up just for it to be someone so ordinary. It'd be like someone telling you they had a special surprise treat for you for your birthday and then taking you to Pizza Express.

FYI, Sly Stone has just announced he's releasing a new album in August...

Well, exactly.

I mean, I don't think it would be a massive letdown because we have got such a great line-up to back it up anyway; and Rob would probably just approach it the same stoic way he approached Pendulum - despite the growing criticism and people consistently putting them on their list of bands to avoid - and say that he's sure they'll 'smash it' regardless. I mean he's not going to turn around and tell people that he's uncertain or has doubts because it'll show his lack of confidence in the band he's booked. They're a very risky band, No Doubt, but unfortunately I think they're a band that tick all of the boxes for me when it comes to the criteria Rob has given.

As for Sly Stone - I think that'd be a mistake; not because he's rubbish or I have anything personal against him, but mainly down to the fact you never know what you're going to get with him. I had to check to see if he was still alive the other day when I was listening to 'Stand!' for weirdly the first time in ages, and a user on the official forums (Edfirth on here, I believe) told me about his stunt at Coachella last year and from the perspective of a festival organiser, I wouldn't want to face the risk of that happening at my festival if I had one.

Rob's been tweeting this morning, saying it's less than 24 hours until the announcement and that he doesn't know why he keeps hyping it as lots of people won't like it!!! Although I suppose that goes without saying, finding someone everyone's happy with would be impossible.

He also describes the Black Eyed Peas as 'evil' so I'm guessing that rules them out, much to the relief of most.

My prediction, Mumford & Sons who would be free to be announced after their support slot with Arcade Fire tonight as they seemed to have got a lot of equal promotion with AF for the a mere support slot and despite being popular at the moment they seem to have a lot of hate (which I agree with) from music fans so would fit the "people won't like" description.

My prediction, Mumford & Sons who would be free to be announced after their support slot with Arcade Fire tonight as they seemed to have got a lot of equal promotion with AF for the a mere support slot and despite being popular at the moment they seem to have a lot of hate (which I agree with) from music fans so would fit the "people won't like" description.

I don't like Mumford and Sons but I'd have them over a lot of suggestions in here. At least their live shows look good

They're ridiculously overhyped though, I can think of at least 10 modern bands that do what they do, but better.

I saw Mumford & Sons at Hop Farm last year, they were great, stole the show for most people I was with or spoke to. But I'm also seeing them tonight with Arcade Fire so hoping it's not them for selfish reasons!

I tweeted Rob ages ago asking him to confirm it wasn't Grace Jones, saying many would be upset if it was. He didn't reply, maybe he gets hundreds so can't reply to all of them but he has said it's not other artists so I am a bit worried!

Forgive me if I've missed something but is David Bowie completely out of the question?

I couldn't help but notice that Rob tweeted that he was playing Bowie this morning and then immediately tweeted about the headliner announcement - as if it was following a train of thought.

Or has he been ruled out already? He certainly fits the rock/pop/diva billing.

My money's on Elton John anyway...

Forgive me if I've missed something but is David Bowie completely out of the question?

I couldn't help but notice that Rob tweeted that he was playing Bowie this morning and then immediately tweeted about the headliner announcement - as if it was following a train of thought.

Or has he been ruled out already? He certainly fits the rock/pop/diva billing.

My money's on Elton John anyway...