Wristy Business

Guest Storm_NL

I pride myself in keeping all kinds of junk.

I just don't always remember where I put it.

Westerday, upon opening one of my boxes I recently liberated from storage, I found a Glastonbury wristband.

Yellow in colour, detail stitched in Red and Green.

No year.

If only I knew where I put the rest of my wristbands, I could work it out by a process of elimination... :huh:

Anybody know which year this is?

B)

If you mean the extra-wide one (in comparison to recent wristbands) that had a yellow front, red back and red/green detail (red text, green logo) then I think it was 2002. All the most recent ones have been around 30% narrower and it was certainly not 2005 or later anyway so must be 2002/3/4 but I would put my money on 2002 as it's the only extra-wide one I have lying around.

EDIT

2009: Light blue

2008: Maroon (Silver/White on the back)

2007: Black

2005: Green (Black on the back)

2004: Very light blue (violet on the back)

2003: Yellow (Green on the back)

2002: Yellow (Red on the back) extra-wide

Not certain about 2002/3/4 and 2003/4 in particular may well be the wrong way round but I'm defo going with the 'different' sized one being 2002 :)

Edited by mikeb

If you mean the extra-wide one (in comparison to recent wristbands) that had a yellow front, red back and red/green detail (red text, green logo) then I think it was 2002. All the most recent ones have been around 30% narrower and it was certainly not 2005 or later anyway so must be 2002/3/4 but I would put my money on 2002 as it's the only extra-wide one I have lying around.

EDIT

2008: Maroon

2005: Green

Not certain about 2002/3/4 and 2003/4 in particular may well be the wrong way round but I'm defo going with the 'different' sized one being 2002 :)

Quite possibly :P - although in my defence, it was way too hot to don the old anorak so I just wandered over to the shelf and rummaged for Ye Olde Wristbande collection wearing just a pair of shorts I'm afraid. So not really trainspotter stylee apparel and all that. Didn't have the customary flask of milky tea and a notebook with me either :lol: but I will shortly be testing the surprise pressie of a gorgeous green bottle of something distinctly pear-based that just so happened to be procured especially for me yesterday in order to celebrate having come into contact with something very Glasto related :D However, whilst not wishing to look the old gift horse in the mouth and all that ... I think it really has to be asked why just the one solitary bottle when there was no doubt an entire shelf full that could so easily have been piled into the trolley <_<

Edited by mikeb

I love it when a time capsule explodes! :D

I've just discovered the rest of my cloth wristbands, and now have the full set! :)

It's weird (but not excessively so) that prior to 2005, they didn't have the year on. Weirder to imagine not having to wear a wristband prior to 2002! Seems like aeons ago.... :blink:

You were right in your suspicions, however, the blue and (lemon) yellow are the wrong way around. Trawled through some old photos.. 2003 was the light blue year. 2002 was definitely the wider orangey yellow year. :)

Just as an addendum, have now unpacked a few more boxes from storage....

...including some excellent condition Garotte Guides, programmes, sealed drug advice thingummies... some kind of fold wristband doodah, and related magazines...

Appear to range in year from 1998 to present, excluding 2000 for some bizarre reason... :blink:

Also have a Fine Guide for '97, which had somehow remained oblivious to the hideous weather.

I know it doesn't matter to anybody else, but I was quite excited to find these gems in such great condition! W00t!

As you were. ;)

...including some excellent condition Garotte Guides, programmes, sealed drug advice thingummies... some kind of fold wristband doodah, and related magazines...

Appear to range in year from 1998 to present, excluding 2000 for some bizarre reason... :blink:

Also have a Fine Guide for '97, which had somehow remained oblivious to the hideous weather.

I know it doesn't matter to anybody else, but I was quite excited to find these gems in such great condition! W00t!

As you were. ;)

As you were. ;)

Fab collection! I acutally managed to get a full set of Q Dailys this year which will sit in a box somewhere to be unearthed in future years and guaranteed to bring a smile to my face!

I lost my 2005 wristband, which is sad for me as it was a special year.

I don't suppose anyone has a 'spare'?

I'm a memorabilia collector too. Only been to two Glastos, but I've kept the bags, programmes, lanyard and mini guides, Grauniad bag from last year, Q Dailys, NME and Q reviews, postcards, Tshirts, hoody from this year, and of course, the obligatory wristbands. I'm wearing 5 at the moment, my 2 Glasto ones and 3x Leeds ones as I took off my Leeds '06 one and the '05 one was really crappy plastic.

Oh yeah, I also got some fab artwork from the Craft fields, a lady called Kate Chidley, who does gorgeous Glastonbury Cows designs, I've got 7 of them on my wall now, as well as a couple of designs by Glastogaz, one is an A4 40th Anniversary canvas, the other a Pyramid stage silhouette mini canvas :D

e2a that's not even including the Julien Temple Glastonbury Movie and a couple of Glasto books :D:D:D You could say I get slightly obsessive about these things....

Edited by mandypants

Wristbands go back even further. Don't remember having to have one in 1994 when I first went, but my mate who had been going a few years before me still has the luminous green plastic 1992 one everyone had to wear.

Yep, got all the wristbands except 2005 and 2008 as worked for Oxfam and got different ones from them those years. Mostly got all the Select / Q Dailies, with one or two missing here and there, got every post-festi Q Review and even the older local Western Daily Press ones they used to hand out as you were leaving, all bags - recent canvas ones and the earlier Q and Select plastic ones, loads of Brothers stuff, free CD's that used to be in the bag given to you (one from Grandadbob, 2003 - eh?), loads of Best Of Glasto <insert year> cover CD's off Select / Q and others mags, eFests calendars going back to 2004 or something, banners and adverts 'removed' from the site on Monday morning - good Levs one amongst them, a jar of 1997 mud (collected myself), loads of adverts and features from newspapers, old entry tickets, passouts, fine guides, lanyards - just goes on - whole wardrobe full of the stuff, which I lovingly refer to as "The Archive".

I too collect festival memorabilia i've got a bookcase full of programmes from various festivals, all the Q Dailies etc, every five years we put together a large A1 picture frame full of ticket stubs etc from the last five years. We have four (1985-90, 1991-95, 1996-2000, 2001-2005) hanging in the house with Elephant Fayre 84; Treewargy Tree Fayre 89; Newquay Surf Festival 88; Tribal Gathering 88; Towersey Village Festival 89,92; Glastonbury Festival 90,92,93,94,95,97,98,99,00,02,03,04; Nowhere Else To Roam 93; Shambala 02,04; Isle of Wight 04; Reading 03,04; Monsters of Rock 94; WOMAD 03,04,; Guilfest 04,; Beautiful Days 03,04; Off the Tracks (Spring/Autumn) 03,04; Wychwood 04; Ashton Court 03; Strawberry Fair 03,04; and Out There 04.

And at the end of this year we'll be doing one (possibly 2 there's so much in the shoe boxes) for 2005-2010 which will include gigs as well as Glastonbury Festival 05, 07, 08, 09, 10; Shambala 05, 07; Isle of Wight 05,06, 07, 08; Reading 06, 08, 09, 10; WOMAD 05,06, 07, 08, 10; Guilfest 05,06,07, 08, 09; Beautiful Days 05,06, 07, 08, 09, 10; Off the Tracks (Spring/Autumn) 05; Wychwood 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10; Cornbury 05, 06; Camp Bestival 08, 09; Volksfest 09, 10; Hyde Park Calling 06; Live 8 WOMAD 05; Exeter Respect 07; Tolpuddle 09, 10; Summer Sundae 09; Sonsiphere 10; Bestival 09; Hi Fi South 06; Endorse-It 06, 07, 08, 09, 10; Ex-Folk 07; Urban Lawns 07; Waveform 07; Vibraphonic 06, 07, 08, 09; and End Of The Road 10.

I did have wristbands from 2000 onward on my wrist but in 2006 - I got in a fight and they were ripped off my arm.

Incidentally I've noticed on the photo of Dutch wristbands the wearers have mini bungees to hold the trailing ribbons - anyone got any idea where you can buy these?

EDIT

2008: Maroon (Silver/White on the back)

2005: Green (Black on the back)

I too collect festival memorabilia i've got a bookcase full of programmes from various festivals, all the Q Dailies etc, every five years we put together a large A1 picture frame full of ticket stubs etc from the last five years. We have four (1985-90, 1991-95, 1996-2000, 2001-2005) hanging in the house with Elephant Fayre 84; Treewargy Tree Fayre 89; Newquay Surf Festival 88; Tribal Gathering 88; Towersey Village Festival 89,92; Glastonbury Festival 90,92,93,94,95,97,98,99,00,02,03,04; Nowhere Else To Roam 93; Shambala 02,04; Isle of Wight 04; Reading 03,04; Monsters of Rock 94; WOMAD 03,04,; Guilfest 04,; Beautiful Days 03,04; Off the Tracks (Spring/Autumn) 03,04; Wychwood 04; Ashton Court 03; Strawberry Fair 03,04; and Out There 04.

And at the end of this year we'll be doing one (possibly 2 there's so much in the shoe boxes) for 2005-2010 which will include gigs as well as Glastonbury Festival 05, 07, 08, 09, 10; Shambala 05, 07; Isle of Wight 05,06, 07, 08; Reading 06, 08, 09, 10; WOMAD 05,06, 07, 08, 10; Guilfest 05,06,07, 08, 09; Beautiful Days 05,06, 07, 08, 09, 10; Off the Tracks (Spring/Autumn) 05; Wychwood 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10; Cornbury 05, 06; Camp Bestival 08, 09; Volksfest 09, 10; Hyde Park Calling 06; Live 8 WOMAD 05; Exeter Respect 07; Tolpuddle 09, 10; Summer Sundae 09; Sonsiphere 10; Bestival 09; Hi Fi South 06; Endorse-It 06, 07, 08, 09, 10; Ex-Folk 07; Urban Lawns 07; Waveform 07; Vibraphonic 06, 07, 08, 09; and End Of The Road 10.

I did have wristbands from 2000 onward on my wrist but in 2006 - I got in a fight and they were ripped off my arm.

Incidentally I've noticed on the photo of Dutch wristbands the wearers have mini bungees to hold the trailing ribbons - anyone got any idea where you can buy these?

I have never taken my 2005-10 wristbands off, and they are accompanied by other fabric festival wristbands (I can't abide keeping th plastic ones on). 2005 (my first year) fell off last December, but it had been in a shocking state for a long time. It was thinner (less wide) than the later ones, and of lower quality I suspect. 2007 has another 18 months before it beats 2005's on-arm time, but it barely looks worn.

I do turn them upside-down out of festival season, and this appears to keep them in slightly better condition than my pals'.

A

I am also now humbled by everyone else's collections of memorabilia...

This is the primary reason for moving out of your parents' home, and into one of your own. They'd never let you keep this stuff, and would go far as to call it "useless rubbish". ;)

Also found my white rubber wristband from 2005... I think.

Not quite white any more, but one to add to the list, nevertheless. :)