I Think I Have A Problem...

Guest sjp_121

After Monday's announcement... I have discovered that the people that there is a bunch of clashes between bands I really want to see... and bands all the people I'm going with are wanting to see.

I'm not gonna make them go with me at all... but I'm not missing Modest Mouse and Gaslight Anthem for Hadouken! (Who I have seen twice in the last year.) and 3OH!3. Shikari/Libertines is also another one

I'm okay with going by myself to the acts... but has anyone else had this problem... and have you met up with some nice people in the crowd who you can hang with for a bit?

Don't all attack me... I just don't want to end up not enjoying the festival cause I was a loner all weekend cause of my weird music taste xD

I've been to quite a few at a few festivals

Generally you make some good mates, as you all share an interest in the band

Tbh I like to go see at least one band on my own each year at Leeds, just to meet some new people

Adds to the festival imo :P

people at the festival are generally nice people and you can chat to everyone.. i have been going to leeds fest since 2003, and have loved every year.. and there is nothing wrong with being by yourself for a band or two.. you can't miss gaslight anthem for hadouken ... gaslight anthem are too amazing to miss :P

yeah I've been for the last two years and went to loads of bands on my own both years, alot of the time just because I couldn't be bothered to find the people I went with or they wanted to stay at the back. I really enjoyed both years lots and it didn't make the bands any less fun. You meet some great people in crowds and if you dont get on with them... just move on = P You'll be fine.

I used to spend alot of time by myself at festivals as my mate either didn't like who I was going to see or he was sleeping. i always had a good time and got chatting to people around me. I'd never let other people decide who I'm going to see.

I spend most (about 90%) of the time in the arena by myself

Its best to just go off by yourself and watch the bands you want to see instead of catering for other peoples needs or having to watch out for people, at the end of the day you've paid nearly £200 to see the bands you want to see.

Just head off to the front by yourself, chances are the other people around you have come because they like the band and you can all have a good time together.

Thanks for the input

I was just worried that I would end up going on my own and having no-one to chat to... which woulda made me sad. Not letting them making me miss some of my favourite bands... and like wise I'm not gonna force them to come see them.

So woo for nice festival people!

My advice would be to just go on your own if nobody around you wants to go with you. If you like a band and they say something to you, you should go and see them - better yet, try and convince your friends to come along with you like I do.

I think you'll find often that you won't be the only one in your position - especially if you listen to a band that has a "difficult" sound. There will be a lot of curious people going to see unknown bands together but bands with an "acquired" sound tend to attract the loners easier, and so you'll be in a crowd full of them anyway and won't be alone.

Just go and see the bands you love regardless of ewhat your friends want. You all have the same tents at the end of the day, and I imagine you have mobiles, so just meet up with them after.

Reading isn't the best festival for meeting new people sadly, however there will always be a few people especially at the smaller stages who are worth 5 minutes of conversation.

Best way is don't buy a programme and then you can ask people what time so and so is on, would you recommend, what you seeing, where you from etc etc. Its a bit of a skill to pick up but after a few festivals and gigs you will be a pro.

I watched Radiohead alone last year it was good because my friends would have just taken the piss out of my funky dancing and asked me what every song was called

Back in 2004 I went to leeds on my own as none of my mates wanted to go. I met a few people in campsite and in arena, and got to see so many bands, especially all the ones I really wanted to see. I never seen as many bands as I did at that festival. One of my mates did come down on the Sunday so it was a really good end to a great weekend.

So my point is you never really feel like you're on your own at a festival so u should go see who u want when u want!

Solo experiances are the experiances that you will remember for the rest of your life.

If your watching a band on your own, then 5mins later your with random people with exactually the same music tastes, drinking, smoking, having a laugh... Those experiances cant be brought and are rare to find outside of festivals. You shall have a wonderfull time with or without your friends. Just dont be shy while talking to randomers :)

I'm pretty shy myself, so while I might chat to some nice people a bit in the crowd, if I don't I still enjoy the band I've come to see. Its great to take the opportunity to see bands you wouldn't usually or ones you really love but your mates don't and if you're on your own it means you don't have to worry about losing mates at the front! :lol:

After Monday's announcement... I have discovered that the people that there is a bunch of clashes between bands I really want to see... and bands all the people I'm going with are wanting to see.

I'm not gonna make them go with me at all... but I'm not missing Modest Mouse and Gaslight Anthem for Hadouken! (Who I have seen twice in the last year.) and 3OH!3. Shikari/Libertines is also another one

I'm okay with going by myself to the acts... but has anyone else had this problem... and have you met up with some nice people in the crowd who you can hang with for a bit?

Don't all attack me... I just don't want to end up not enjoying the festival cause I was a loner all weekend cause of my weird music taste xD