metal hammer interview

Guest luckysalt

Tbh I really dont mind the lack of bands on the Friday

If you put yourself in AC's position, get a massive coup like ac/dc and drop a few smaller bands who the chance are most people will of forgotten about by next year anyway, and people would moan about anyway.

I think ac/dc want to make a big deal out of this as well, it's their back in black anniversary and paying respect to the MoR organiser who died last year

Last year it was too hot to spend all day at the arena watching bands anyway :P

Tbh I really dont mind the lack of bands on the Friday

If you put yourself in AC's position, get a massive coup like ac/dc and drop a few smaller bands who the chance are most people will of forgotten about by next year anyway, and people would moan about anyway.

I think ac/dc want to make a big deal out of this as well, it's their back in black anniversary and paying respect to the MoR organiser who died last year

Last year it was too hot to spend all day at the arena watching bands anyway :P

Right this whole twiiter thing from AC today is pathetic!!!

The guy has let himself down SOOOO much

Right lets recap

manchesterian says @maverick_ac are you regretting giving one band so much logistical control? 3 bands on main stage isn't great, is it?

@manchesterian I regret nothing...we have the biggest rock band in the World...that'll do, thank you very much...quality over quantity wins

So with that it sounds like its just 3 bands main stage Friday.

--------------

2 hours later he posts this at no-one just a normal twitter

''All the sad doubters need to get ready to eat humble pie (& their words!)...I've always said, have the faith...the faith is about to cometh!''

strictlyreading says @Maverick_AC "sad doubters" surely it's all about opinion?

@strictlyreading Nope...I was right...sad doubters

----------------------------------------------------------

Which is pretty pathetic to be calling everyone who has brought a ticket for his festival in faith it will be a full 3 days as it has been previously and then only getting 2 and a half and they don't know what they're going to do [for 6 months months pretty much].

------------------------------------------------------------

StellarEvilTed then says

@Maverick_AC theres nothing i want more than to be provbed wrong dude! I love Download i really do, and love the line up this year.

@Maverick_AC But if it is 2 and a half days then i think we have a right to feel cheated as it wasnt billed as that. Thats all im saying.

AC replies @StellarEvilTed Don't be a doubter

He then posts the following two tweets

''If you keep looking at the word DOUBTER too many times, it starts to look a bit weird! What's up with that??''

''Too many people typically getting their hopes up ridiculously high again. I said not to doubt us & that we were working things out...we have''

-------------------------------------------------------

So really it sounds like he may have got more bands added to the Friday, but the metal hammer interview from the weekend sounds like he had no intention to, either way if he HAS got more bands for the Friday its only because we HAVE moaned so much so to call us sad doubters is disgusting really. Whole situation has left a real sour taste in my mouth.

Last year AC was great, maybe it was cus everyone was so happy, this year he probably thought he was gunna get the same again, but people feel shortchanged regardless of who is headlining and he can't seem to accept that.

Regardless of what happens I know I'll have a great time but the whole process of everything seems much slower this year, the map, the entertainment tents everything like that he hasn't mentioned it, he said today the map should be coming soon when quixzed on it, well course it is the festival is less than 5 weeks away!

I looking forward to what he has to shut us up with anyway :P good times

Personally i think AC has let alot of the loyal fans down and to be spoken to/at the way he is doing really is disgusting. I agree with a lot of people who are disgruntled regarding the fact that this is/has turned out to be a 2 1/2 day festival however there are good acts on to suit most tastes throughout the weekend. I certainly won't be buying an early bird ticket next year but I won't say I'm not going or boycoting Donington - why cut off your nose to spite your face??? :P

And if there are secret sets/bands etc then it's all good anyway!!!

Edited by cornucopia

Part of me kinda sees where he is coming from. He's being told "oh wow Andy you're the best!" and being praised for getting AC/DC and Aerosmith one minute and everyone is saying great things. And going from that to "this is the worst line up" and "we've been robbed" etc.... must be really a really bummer!!

Though I'm thinking (hoping) he's going to redeem himself, I agree that Copping has been very short-sighted and out of order here.

He just doesn't understand that AC/DC aren't the big deal to most people as they are to him and their fans. The point of a festival is the choice and range of acts to see, reducing this and justifying it by saying "it's AC/DC" and telling people to stop moaning about being ripped off is really unprofessional.

He needs to take his AC/DC-fan head off, and put on his rational head - most people can probably take or leave AC/DC so the fact that they are playing is irrelevant when it comes to decimating the line-up to accomodate them.

Even though they're far from headliner material, I'd rather have TCV headlining a full Friday, with more good bands playing the rest of the weekend. That would be far better value for money for all of us (the majority of the under 30's going I should think) who aren't too bothered about one band.

Just looking at the past line-ups, the Friday line-ups always been shorter anyway

So maybe instead of getting the 4/5 extra bands that everyone's apparently so desperate for,

the bands announced will get full sets

I reckon AC may be reacting a bit immaturely to the criticism, but when you just look at the full line-up, he's done one hell of a job.

so maybe it's just getting to him how eager people are to put it down, especially in the months leading up to the festival

To be honest, I though AC acted like a bit of a tit last year with all the sniping & silly remarks aimed at Sonisphere. I honestly believe that AC thought people would be fine with a 3 act mainstage purely because of AC/DC. Fact of the matter is, the Friday day tickets haven't sold out (which I'm honestly surprised at) & the fact that we've lost 5 bands on the mainstage has caused a sh!tstorm. The fact that when 'Metal Hammer' have had the chance to interview him it's the 1st thing they asked him about shows that this isn't just people saying 'You've not booked my favourite band'.

We know from other interviews that AC already had TCV to headline & they got trumped when AC/DC agreed. So in his mind AC think TCV are a headline act. The mindset must've been 'although it's only 3 acts they've got Wolfmother, a headliner & AC/DC on top of that'. That's why he threw his toys out of the pram on the official forums when people were slating TCV & arguing that they weren't a sub-headline quality act, if the vast majority of forum members doesn't think they're fit to sub imagine the reaction of they were announced to headline? He must know that he misjudged that one but instead of putting his hands up & showing a bit of humility he's got aggressive & starting insulting customers.

Don't get me wrong, for me personally there's enough bands on the Friday I'd happily watch & the Saturday and Sunday both tick a lot of boxes but personal taste is all subjective, you can't argue with losing over half the acts on one day.

I reckon AC may be reacting a bit immaturely to the criticism, but when you just look at the full line-up, he's done one hell of a job.

so maybe it's just getting to him how eager people are to put it down, especially in the months leading up to the festival

The line-up's far from dreadful, for me personally there's loads I want to see but I can totally understand why people may be disappointed. It's very top heavy & the undercard is definately weaker. When you look at last years poster & see bands like Limp Bizkit & ZZ Top playing 3rd from top (both acts that will fill arena's in their own right) this years undercard doesn't compare, and given that this year was hyped as the biggest, 30 years of MOR etc etc people are obviously going to be expecting more than at the 29th year of MOR.

Like Michael Eavis, AC made the decision himself to become a 'public figure' & that comes with both bad & good. How many times have you seen Melvin Benn or Bob Angus compared with AC?

for me personally, i like the kind ofm music that has been announced so i cant complain about booking.

i do take exception to buying a ticket for a three day festival and only being given a 2 and a half day festival. THAT is false advertising. I don't want a refund, i want to be reimbursed for the shit ive lost.

Copping for me has been very childish, he's become some ridiculous fan boy on twitter and because not everyone sees it like he does and the whole 'ACDC at Donington' line he keeps repeating doesn't really mean as much to anyone else as it does to him, he's going skitz over it.

Sad fact is, he's sounding EXACTLY as ridiculous as these 'sad doubters' who have the unrealistic visions of the bands who should play or what the line up should be.

its wittled down to a 'your stupid' 'well you are stupider' type argument between a grown man and his paying customers.

The line-up's far from dreadful, for me personally there's loads I want to see but I can totally understand why people may be disappointed. It's very top heavy & the undercard is definately weaker. When you look at last years poster & see bands like Limp Bizkit & ZZ Top playing 3rd from top (both acts that will fill arena's in their own right) this years undercard doesn't compare, and given that this year was hyped as the biggest, 30 years of MOR etc etc people are obviously going to be expecting more than at the 29th year of MOR.

Like Michael Eavis, AC made the decision himself to become a 'public figure' & that comes with both bad & good. How many times have you seen Melvin Benn or Bob Angus compared with AC?

Just seen on the Metal Hammer website that AC has said he wants Dizzee Rascal to play Download but couldn't get him this year

Thats fine in the past but he's 3rd on Main Stage at Reading! He'd be headlining Download if he booked him!

Id rather have Snoop Dogg myself, Dizzee has played every UK festival going over the years, and now he woulld want a high spot, if he's gunna book an artist of that mould, go for Snoop

They won't.

Copping will have been in talks with them, like he does with many potential headliners every year. That will just have been a misunderstanding by the webmaster from when it looked like they were going to play.

I hope I'm wrong though!

Just seen on the Metal Hammer website that AC has said he wants Dizzee Rascal to play Download but couldn't get him this year

Thats fine in the past but he's 3rd on Main Stage at Reading! He'd be headlining Download if he booked him!

Id rather have Snoop Dogg myself, Dizzee has played every UK festival going over the years, and now he woulld want a high spot, if he's gunna book an artist of that mould, go for Snoop

Copping is a c**t, simple as that really, he cannot take criticism at all, his responses sound like that of a 14 year old who's just been told his favourite band Blink-182 are shit. As much as I want to go this year, my money not gracing his palm makes me feel slightly better about not having a ticket. He's supposed to be a professional and thus carry himself like one but he doesn't at all, he needs to handle criticism better or get the f**k off Twitter. Either way, everyones heard enough shite come out of his mouth to last for this year and many more. When you talk up a line up as much as he has and then it turns out only the headliners that most of the line up isn't that special, you've got to just grit your teeth and accept the (mostly) reasonable critiquing.

Edited by chubbz

Copping is a c**t, simple as that really, he cannot take criticism at all, his responses sound like that of a 14 year old who's just been told his favourite band Blink-182 are shit. As much as I want to go this year, my money not gracing his palm makes me feel slightly better about not having a ticket. He's supposed to be a professional and thus carry himself like one but he doesn't at all, he needs to handle criticism better or get the f**k off Twitter. Either way, everyones heard enough shite come out of his mouth to last for this year and many more. When you talk up a line up as much as he has and then it turns out only the headliners that most of the line up isn't that special, you've got to just grit your teeth and accept the (mostly) reasonable critiquing.