Where to camp?

Guest Happy Chappy

My question is not so much about which field to camp in, millions of threads around the web offering various advice about that, but once in a field are their places you should or shouldn't camp?

E.g. I've already seen many postings saying not to pitch next to toilets (sounds like common sense!), but what about near paths (on the one hand easy to find, on the other are people going to end up on top of you in the middle of the night / morning?!), hedges, trees, etc.

Any advice?

My question is not so much about which field to camp in, millions of threads around the web offering various advice about that, but once in a field are their places you should or shouldn't camp?

E.g. I've already seen many postings saying not to pitch next to toilets (sounds like common sense!), but what about near paths (on the one hand easy to find, on the other are people going to end up on top of you in the middle of the night / morning?!), hedges, trees, etc.

Any advice?

Somewhere in the middle for me, next to a track is noisy, a few metres in and you are always being trampled over, next to a fence risks a line of blokes peeing in the morning. Next to the loo is a no. Prefer my site to be levelish and not at the bottom of a slope. Apart from that I'm not fussy!!!

Try not to camp downhill of the sinks. The runoff from the sinks and people washing hair, hosing down boots, showering and the like will cause a mud pool that a hippo would tumesce at.

Try and avoid camping next to sociopaths too, but they may harder to spot when pitching.

The worst Glasto of my life was 1997 - for many reasons but one major reason was being parked under the pylon at the top/back of Big Ground and add to that the dampness in the air made the buzzing even worse.

Lazy boyfriend and chums just couldnt be arsed to walk any further and this is where we ended up!

I still throw evils at the pylons at festival ever since! :P

I agree with noodles - make sure you're not at the bottom of a hill, and not right next to the toilets.

I was there in 2007 on Pennards - we were half way up the hill which was super, didn't get flooded at all, but I knew people at the bottom of Pennards which happens to be next to the toilets as well - camping in slurry by midday Thursday. Eugh.

And a few metres in from a path is always my aim (especially this year as i'll be 7 months prego and can't manage with tripping over ropes!!!)

xx

If you are terrified of getting robbed, killed, raped or pillaged in the night the safest location is right in the middle of a field as far away from paths and people as you can get. Your tent will be lost in a sea of tents and the chances of being a victim of crime becomes incredibly remote.

But then you will probably never see your tent again. So I guess this is terrible advice. Don't listen to me.

I used to get as close to another tent as possible to stop people walking past but they end up doing it anyway and stepping on your canvas. This year I'm going to try and leave just enough room for people to walk decently but close enough for no other tents to be put down.

Its still a nightmare but at least its a try. Im sick of people falling in a drunken stupor...including me