Mobile Phones

Guest Gaz_EBbeer

Howdy Guy's and Gals!! :P

I've been prepping for Reading this week thanx to a bit of spare time (still need a tent) and got to worrying about how im gonna keep my Iphone charged in a field lacking any from of power outlet...

I know in years past there have been booths available to charge your phone or sellers on site flogging those dodgy battery operated charger thingys that never bloody work...

Do they still have these on site? How do you make sure your mobile stays charged all weekend?

Another option I guess would be to get a back-up phone or two cheap off Ebay (old models like the 3210) and take them along fully charged

C'mon guys share your Festival Telecommunications tips.....

Howdy Guy's and Gals!! :P

I've been prepping for Reading this week thanx to a bit of spare time (still need a tent) and got to worrying about how im gonna keep my Iphone charged in a field lacking any from of power outlet...

I know in years past there have been booths available to charge your phone or sellers on site flogging those dodgy battery operated charger thingys that never bloody work...

Do they still have these on site? How do you make sure your mobile stays charged all weekend?

Another option I guess would be to get a back-up phone or two cheap off Ebay (old models like the 3210) and take them along fully charged

C'mon guys share your Festival Telecommunications tips.....

im not taking my iPhone, i'll end up checking my pocket every 2 minutes to see if its still there.

i'm just taking a couple of poor phones or one, and having it switched off, the only time i'll need a phone is to ring my mates if we get seperated. if you thinking of being in the thick of a crowd aswell you wont wanna be jumping around with an iphone encase it drops

Rule number 1 of festivals; Never take anything you can't afford to lose/have broken.

I would never, ever, ever take my iphone to a festival. It will get wet, crushed, hot, muddy, drink spilled on it, you name it. Plus you're just asking to have it stolen.

[Old person] Live your life away from your phone for the weekend - watch the gig on stage, not through your phone. The photos can be uploaded on Monday when you get home. etc etc [/Old person]

If you have to have a phone (I couldn't not speak to the kids for 4 days!) find one of your old ones and put your SIM in it (after backing up the numbers!). The lockers also have a charing point for phones in (need a car charger though) so if you're getting one of them you don't need to worry about losing charge.

After years of being sensible and taking 2 old fully charged phones to festivals and never losing one, last year I foolishly took my brand new phone to Sonisphere for the day and BOOM I lose it in the Machine Head pit.

It's very annoying, I promise. Especially when you're on your own, can't find your friends and have no idea how you're going to get home.

After years of being sensible and taking 2 old fully charged phones to festivals and never losing one, last year I foolishly took my brand new phone to Sonisphere for the day and BOOM I lose it in the Machine Head pit.

It's very annoying, I promise. Especially when you're on your own, can't find your friends and have no idea how you're going to get home.

"Especially when you're on your own, can't find your friends and have no idea how you're going to get home. "

Going to sound like a right old git (which I am) but when only people dad's had mobiles cos they were like bricks and cost like £1.50 a minute to use you agreed an emergency meeting place to all meet at certain times if you lost each other.

But I do like having my phone too now!

Another time for the original poster that someone mentioned to me - wear a watch too as when the inevitable happens and your phone expires, it gets really, really, really annoying to keep asking people the time.

Going to sound like a right old git (which I am) but when only people dad's had mobiles cos they were like bricks and cost like £1.50 a minute to use you agreed an emergency meeting place to all meet at certain times if you lost each other.

"Especially when you're on your own, can't find your friends and have no idea how you're going to get home. "

But I do like having my phone too now!

Another time for the original poster that someone mentioned to me - wear a watch too as when the inevitable happens and your phone expires, it gets really, really, really annoying to keep asking people the time.

Edited by DaLumberjack

get yourself one of these:

http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products/all-phones/nokia-1208

the battery literally lasts forever!

I use this as my festival phone, good enough for calling and texting. Only used half the battery last year at Glastonbury and i was away for 6 days! And cos it only cost 20 quid brand new i dont care if i lose it

Edited by garokev

• 2 weeks later...

Lets of leave our mobile phones at home....make it old school.

Just agree a meeting point in the arena, and suggest to meet there on the hour if you get split up.

Its the way i always do it.

Its nice not to have to worry about my phone for a weekend.

Don't take your iphone with you, battery will be dead in a few hours.

Get a cheap as hell phone, I have an old nokia I use for festivals, and have 2 spare batteries for it that I take.

Thats the best option IMO. Cheapest, and also easiest.

If you want a strange tip for making your phone battry last longer... I went to Spain last weekend, before I went I got O2 to put a data block on my account. I normally have to charge my phone up every day but since I got the block put on ive only had to charge it once! Got it put on a week ago. That said it means I cant use the internet (I need to get it taken off again but i've not got round to ringing them)...

• 1 month later...

Ted baker charger, absolutly brilliant, charge it

up before you go and holds enough to charge your iPhone 2/3 times (full charges) and its got about 6 different adaprters for other phones/ cameras etc,

Side note: I tool my iPhone to Glastonbury, not because I wanted to chat on facebook or anything but just because it's my phone, had 2 lanyard things and had my phone wallet keys and camera attatched all weekend, didn't even need to be careful

I'd reccomend taking a phone just in case you get seperated/lost from your mates, but get a cheap phone, buy some spare batteries for it off ebay and them charge them all up before you go. Not worth taking even a half-decent phone cos the chances are it'll get wrecked/lost/stolen.

Unless of course you want to spend the festival letting facebook know how much you're enjoying missing the festival to post status updats.

• 2 weeks later...