• really bad poo
    • bad poo
    • poo
    • not poo

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll let you know whether I think they're poo when I actually hear them finish writing a song. Every album I've heard thus far sounds like a compilation of outtakes and demos that sometimes accompany 6-disc retrospective sets to help you understand the 'creative process'.

I think they have the potential to be a really decent band, but at the moment they do nothing for me musically.

a bad photocopy of a bad photocopy of every band with an alpha male singer and an outdated hedonistic rock ethic. They probably see themselves as the latest in a long line of classic rock bands, I see them as at the back of the queue.

1st album pretty good, and I saw them around that time and thought they were great live. I bought the 2nd album but wasn't overly impressed. Their last few songs I'm really really really really bored with, I actually have to change stations whenever they come on the radio.

I'd give the first album a solid 8.5/10. Sounded fresh and was a decent dance/rock crossover and I played it to death.

Don't really have an opinion on them musically but i'm not a fan of the crowds that tend to go see them. Usually the type of people who think it's funny to get absolutely leathered and throw glasses full of piss into the crowd. A bit like the crowd at an Oasis show really, all Stella and indiscriminate violence.

In general people can be idiotic but I feel anyone who is interested in the Glastonbury Festival (and therefore in this forum) must be of quite sound mind. And out of those level headed people who like a wide range of good music, nearly 70% of them like Kasabian.

So it looks like a thread that was obviously started just to slag off Kasabian has ended up backfiring.

PS But I'm sure if you started a 'James Blunt or Simply Red are really bad poo' you would get 100% backing

In general people can be idiotic but I feel anyone who is interested in the Glastonbury Festival (and therefore in this forum) must be of quite sound mind. And out of those level headed people who like a wide range of good music, nearly 70% of them like Kasabian.

So it looks like a thread that was obviously started just to slag off Kasabian has ended up backfiring.

PS But I'm sure if you started a 'James Blunt or Simply Red are really bad poo' you would get 100% backing

Edited by sifimaster

ps - I can think of one person on here who would crawl naked over broken glass just to w*nk in Hucknall's shadow.

Remember in the 80s when U2's Rattle & Hum documentary came out? They were ridiculed for desperately trying to shoehorn their way into the annals of rock n roll folklore, playing with BB King, singing at Graceland, recording at Sun Studios etc, all done with nary a hint of irony or shame?

Well, for me, Kasabian are, if anything, even more guilty (I'm prepared to admit that up until then -self-importance aside- U2 had some decent tunes). Kasabian on the other hand, demand nothing less than ubiquitous adulation, with nothing to suggest they're worthy of even mild approval. Seriously, every album is accompanied by the same sound-bites in interviews, "we want to mobilise a generation, unite the people in the name or rock n roll...blah blah blah". They're one of those bands (though by no means the only one) that have stripped that, already largely redundant term of whatever integrity w as left attached to it. Oasis were officially split for about 13 seconds before the two main Kasabian dudes were on the cover of the NME, banging on about how "Oasis is no more, we're the biggest band in Britain now", clinging to some wholly inaccurate notion of record sales as a barometer of cutural significance. Sure enough, not long after, the ads for their latest cow pat of an album bore the tagline "from the biggest band in Britain". (Someone might want to point out that there's one hell of a gulf between Oasis' status as biggest band in Britain and theirs: a few million units worth).

I saw them at Glasto last year and, absolutely, they can get a crowd going. But every song sounds like the result of a focus group, put together with the express objective guaranteeing they get the biggest mosh. Lyrics don't have to make sense of course, but they have to at least sound half decent. Theirs are litle more than an excuse to justify the presence of a lead singer.

Ah yes, the singer: legs apart, arms aloft, beconing the crowd to (yawn) "come on". Christ, whatever happened to light and shade? Even Oasis' contentious arrogance was (to begin with, anyway) tempered by an ocassional sense of vulnerability or sensitivity (Rocking Chair, Slide Away, even Wonderwall).

Kasabian amount to little more than a talentless yob standing in front of a mirror playing air guitar, with absolutely nothing to say for himself but determined to be heard.

So, y'know. Poo!

Edited by chevychase