Garden Trolley advice wanted

Guest JodiB

Thinking about getting one of these:

Garden_Trolley.jpg

Does anyone have one ? Anything I need to look out for ? Are there any crap ones to avoid ?

Cheapest I found on Ebay so far will cost £44 with £10 delivery. In the past I have used a sack truck but want to make it even easier. Last year I added a third wheel near the handle of my sack truck to make it more like a trolley but steering was a nightmare and it kept toppling over.

Any helpful advice from people that have bought these garden trolley's would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by JodiB

reckon you can't go wrong with one of them tbh.

i just carry stuff personally but its up to you.

friend of mine saw a guy with a couple of these in the car parks last year offering to rent them out for a small fee and a deposit. no idea if he made money or not but he probably got shut down.

I bought one of those a couple of weeks ago, after some recommendations on here, this is where I got mine from:

Ebay Trolley Link

trolley.jpg

Awesome trolley will make the journey from the car to the camp site a breeze, it is very big so I have a roof rack to get it there. Maybe I take the kids out before I attach it to the roof rack though.

I have one of those Garden trolleys and taken it to Glastonbury the last few years.

They are bloody excellent, you can even stack all your rucksacks on top of it and with some rope tie them down, trolley remains completely sturdy, last year we had 3 rucksacks, 3 tents, 24 creates of beer (and so on) – no problem at all.

Won’t consider doing a trip without one now, i used to try sack trucks the lot with little success, this trolley really is the dogs dangley’s, even in the dire mud of 2007 it cut through it with no problems whatsoever.

Considerations you will need to make:

I wouldn’t bother taking the sides off if you can help it – could end up being a real pain in the arse. They normally fit ok into a hatchback but you will need to take the pulling handle off to get it in the car.

Take a few spanners and things, although nothing has ever happened to mine, having a wheel come loose and run off in front of you would not be a joyful sight particularly when fully loaded.

Your main consideration will be where to camp, think about arriving and finding you camping spot in the middle of 200 other tents – how will you get the trolley from the path you are on into your camping spot without mowing down all the tents in your path.

You will need someone with you to look after your stuff or find a Sherpa to get your kit physically to your camping spot, and then carrying the trolley over tents avoiding guy ropes is not an easy task. My advice would be to get there early and find a spot on the edge of a camping field.

Storage of trolley, I usually take a tiny one man tent to act as a garage :P , once your all sorted erect you garage and park your trolley – can then also be used for a handy beer tent as well. Alternatively take the trolley back to your car but for me when I am in I am not going out again until Monday.

Thinking about getting one of these:

First Class truck,as long as you have enough to pull it in turns you will have no problem,i used a heavy duty sack truck borrowed from work,its got big inflatable tyres and does the job as well. make sure you store it safely on site,best in one of the secure lock ups it

Garden_Trolley.jpg

Does anyone have one ? Anything I need to look out for ? Are there any crap ones to avoid ?

Cheapest I found on Ebay so far will cost £44 with £10 delivery. In the past I have used a sack truck but want to make it even easier. Last year I added a third wheel near the handle of my sack truck to make it more like a trolley but steering was a nightmare and it kept toppling over.

Any helpful advice from people that have bought these garden trolley's would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by denwyn

I got one of these last year after 10 years without a trolley, I bought it from Machine Mart which was more (£100) but I used 30th birthday money to buy it and it meant I knew it was decent and if it fell apart I could get a refund.

I thought it was brilliant and made my trip to Pennards way easier. Don't get me wrong I could survive without but it just meant I could take a few luxuries I couldn't take before :-)

My tips if you get one would be:

Take bungees to keep stuff from falling off

I took a spanner with me and after I set up camp I took the wheels off and put them in someone elses tent, that way if someone raided my tent it would be pretty useless to them.

Other than that it's a breeze :-)

A friend of mine has his own engineering company.

Spent one winter building the perfect trolly , it would have got up everest .

From drawing borard to painting it was a brilliant piece of engineering !

It was big tho , went on the back of his pick up truck and we took it V

Had I room to bring it to Glasto it would be perfect , but I do not have a spare double cab

pick up knocking around !

:P

The sides do come off and can be carried separately, which would allow it to fit in the back of a Corsa without too much trouble, although it would obviously take up valuable cider space. I mentioned I have a roof rack, which will go on top of a Fiat Punto, so a roof rack for a small car is possible, it was £4 off eBay, brilliant.

If you saw some in the lock ups then it must be fine to leave it in there, as you can leave bikes in the lock ups I can see no problem with a trolley. I will take the sides off mine and use it as a cider bar, I did something similar with the trolley I had for the previous two years, which is a carp finishing trolley, it is a risk of course, I mean some tea-leaf could have the cider as well :P:P:P

This is the Carp Trolley I had previously, this was also good, but with about 150Kg on it you still have to pick up half of that weight:

Trolley:

Trolley.jpg

Cider Bar:

TrolleyBar.jpg

Edited by norainplease

The sides do come off and can be carried separately, which would allow it to fit in the back of a Corsa without too much trouble, although it would obviously take up valuable cider space. I mentioned I have a roof rack, which will go on top of a Fiat Punto, so a roof rack for a small car is possible, it was £4 off eBay, brilliant.

If you saw some in the lock ups then it must be fine to leave it in there, as you can leave bikes in the lock ups I can see no problem with a trolley. I will take the sides off mine and use it as a cider bar, I did something similar with the trolley I had for the previous two years, which is a carp finishing trolley, it is a risk of course, I mean some tea-leaf could have the cider as well :P:P:P

This is the Carp Trolley I had previously, this was also good, but with about 150Kg on it you still have to pick up half of that weight:

Trolley:

Trolley.jpg

Cider Bar:

TrolleyBar.jpg

Arrrggghhhh, it's trolley envy time again :P

I've been so tempted absolutely every time I've seen piccies of those d@mn fine looking garden trolleys over the years or seen them on site. I've even (almost) justified buying one on the basis of 'proper' use never mind for the ulterior motive ! Only problemo is that I always travel by train and shuttle bus so there's the minor problems of getting said beast of a trolley on/off trains various, into the shuttle bus in one way or another and not to mention over the bl**dy footbridge at Castle Cary to consider unfortunately :P

... wanders off having bookmarked linky just in case anyone might need it later of course and is seriously considering the need to test credit card solely to make sure that it's still in perfect working order and all that :P

Edited by mikeb