Day tickets

Guest Budweiser

Does anyone have any idea of how fast these day tickets are likely to sell out? Do we need to try and get them today or do we have a couple of days to try and raise the cash?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't the license size extender thing make it so that they could have 110k people on site - but only 80k camping? In which case day tickets were inevitable as they wouldn't sell 30k no camping weekend?

And to me that could show STRONG ticket sales, as they maybe feeling they've got enough camping tickets sold to be sure it'll sell out and its on to day tickets now?

Found out a bit of info at the weekend

Apparently Download has sold around 45,000 so far. Making this the quickest selling year so far

Also I have been told that Sonisphere is selling very poorly again - only sold around 600 tickets in the first couple of weeks and hasn't been doing too well since either.

Download this year will be the most expensive line-up in UK festival history.

I can't reveal my source so don't ask me to, but let's just say I won't be paying for my ticket :P

Edited by kipper64

Well you are wrong. Sonisphere is actually selling better this year, look at the focus group minutes if you don't believe me (they are moving the main stage back this year for more space due to the increased numbers). Sonisphere is actually selling much better this year over last, and they aren't going to be giving free tickets. They only did this last year as a PR push (the fest was in it's first year and they wanted to get as many people there are possible -as many didnt know much about the festival - the same was done for DL in it's first year if I recall). So don't expect free tickets because you won't get them. And my source on that is Team Sonisphere themselves, none of this "I have an anonymous source I can't tell you bullcrap"

Selling better then last year and selling poorly could still be the same thing :P.

But I'd assume 'Team Sonisphere' would give you a completely accurate and non-biased account of ticket sales. I assume you have actual figures as oppose to potential PR spin?

(It's worth baring in mind Soni tickets have been on sale ~2.5 months earlier then last years, so any comparisons to last year sales are going to be flawed and staggered.)

Edited by kipper64

I got the info directly from them in person. I'm a member of the focus group - and they wouldn't lie otherwise the focus group in itself is pointless, it wasn't a meeting for PR spin, it was to get factual info for the festival this year. The proof is in the minutes from the meeting which are now available. They plan on making the space in front of the main stage much bigger over last year because there will be more people. And last year they managed to get about 40,000 people there, which is actually good for a festival in it's first year when the capacity at most was 60,000. And your point about tickets being sold earlier is flawed, because overall ticket sales seem to be higher is what they were suggesting. If it was selling so poorly do you think they'd extend it by almost a day? Add more EU dates? Add more stages? (there will be possibly 6 this year)

But whatever this is a stupid argument and besides the point of the OP, all I was saying was there won't be free tickets so don't expect them, and to point out that Lithium's "info" he posted is actually wrong.

----

To stay on topic, hopefully day tickets appear soon as I'm considering them, the overall lineup just doesn't do it for me this year.

Did you actually read what I wrote? Do you understand what a focus group is? The facts are they are making the arena bigger for the bigger crowd that is going this year. Thus more tickets have been sold. It's factual information, and they wouldnt lie otherwise what would be the point in having a focus group meeting :P Where as Lithium just plucked a random figure out the air from his "unnamed source" that he can't tell us, yeah clearly that is true... And it's been said there will be no free tickets like last year, again that's a fact. The official minutes are on the forum if you don't believe me.

Did you actually read what I wrote? Do you understand what a focus group is? The facts are they are making the arena bigger for the bigger crowd that is going this year. Thus more tickets have been sold. It's factual information, and they wouldnt lie otherwise what would be the point in having a focus group meeting :P Where as Lithium just plucked a random figure out the air from his "unnamed source" that he can't tell us, yeah clearly that is true... And it's been said there will be no free tickets like last year, again that's a fact. The official minutes are on the forum if you don't believe me.

I gave my reason earlier why i think Download day tickets are onsale already but I'll do it again

-A lot of AC/DC and Aerosmith fans I guess were waiting on day tickets

-Download puts day tickets on sale early

-all the fans of those two big bands snap up the allocation of day tickets

-Download announce there won't be any other day tickets going onsale

-This is AC/DC's only gig of the year in UK, its Aerosmith's one of two UK dates they're doing [the other is standing sold out]

-The fans are deseperate to see them and have no other choice they plump out and buy a weekend tickets regardless of the fact if they're gunna stick around for the weekend or not

Thats my take on it....

Kipper, I love your backing of Sonisphere but surely you can see, theres absolutely no way in hell when asked are you giving free tickets aout this year are they gunna say yes

Of course they're gunna say no, even if they damn well know for a fact they're gunna give out free tickets they aren't gunna say so, cus then they would have zero ticket sales

Kipper, I love your backing of Sonisphere but surely you can see, theres absolutely no way in hell when asked are you giving free tickets aout this year are they gunna say yes

Of course they're gunna say no, even if they damn well know for a fact they're gunna give out free tickets they aren't gunna say so, cus then they would have zero ticket sales

Again this was at the actual FOCUS GROUP, it was a small group of people who were told of Sonisphere's plans for the year and got to ask questions from the community. Anything they said didn't need to go on record or public, so no - they wouldn't lie and if they did they wouldn't put it on paper. It isn't some forum post this was from talking to the organisers in PERSON that we got and are now available on the official boards.

But ofcourse I'm wrong as per usual, information from the festival director is clearly bullshit, and Lithium's "un-named source that he can't say or else he will get into trouble" is clearly a much more credible source :P Is it really that hard to beleive that a festival with Iron Maiden can sell a lot of tickets?

But anyway I'm done with this. Sit there and expect your free tickets, but you ain't getting them

dude still doesnt mean a thing, if they gave the slightest hint that they were thinking about giving away tickets in competitions again and it got leaked to the public literally everyone would wait till the week before the festival in hope of maybe winning tickets. & none would be sold. As i said above - my gut feeling is they wont give away tickets but i certainly wouldnt be surprised to see ticket prices reduced sometime in July if it continues to not sell well

Edited by r0w

Again this was at the actual FOCUS GROUP, it was a small group of people who were told of Sonisphere's plans for the year and got to ask questions from the community. Anything they said didn't need to go on record or public, so no - they wouldn't lie and if they did they wouldn't put it on paper. It isn't some forum post this was from talking to the organisers in PERSON that we got and are now available on the official boards.

But ofcourse I'm wrong as per usual, information from the festival director is clearly bullshit, and Lithium's "un-named source that he can't say or else he will get into trouble" is clearly a much more credible source :P Is it really that hard to beleive that a festival with Iron Maiden can sell a lot of tickets?

But anyway I'm done with this. Sit there and expect your free tickets, but you ain't getting them

Not crying, don't really care. I was just pointing out to Lithium and the few who smugly say "I'll just wait for my free ticket", they won't get it. And as for marketed everywhere last year, yes it was - but it was in it's first year (so had to go from nothing to something to be able to compete), and the free tickets were part of that push.

However this has gone greatly off topic so I'll leave it at that.

Well you are wrong. Sonisphere is actually selling better this year, look at the focus group minutes if you don't believe me (they are moving the main stage back this year for more space due to the increased numbers). Sonisphere is actually selling much better this year over last, and they aren't going to be giving free tickets. They only did this last year as a PR push (the fest was in it's first year and they wanted to get as many people there are possible -as many didnt know much about the festival - the same was done for DL in it's first year if I recall). So don't expect free tickets because you won't get them. And my source on that is Team Sonisphere themselves, none of this "I have an anonymous source I can't tell you bullcrap"
Edited by biffoire