Glasto...Restores your faith in human nature.

Guest Michael@Hebden

I've just joined the site & I wanted to take this oportunity to thank a random bloke that helped me out enormously.

Last year, we arrived early & spent the (glorious) day exploring the site. In the afternoon, my mate got a call from my daughter, asking to speak with me urgently (I'd taken my phone with me, so I was mystified why she'd phoned him :P).

I spoke to her & she explained that she's received a call from "some bloke" saying that he'd found a phone on the site & hers was the last number I'd dialed. He'd left his number, which she passed on to me.

I immediately rang the guy on the number he provided & met him in front of the pyramid stage where the footy match was bring played. He handed my phone over with a big smile, but declined my offer to at least buy him a drink, as he had to rejoin his friends.

If you're on here mate, accept my gratitude & drop me a PM. I'll I'll gladly get 'em in this year.

No chancers..I remember what he looked like :P ..& remember, I'm a Yorkshireman :P

Glasto relay does restore faith. My mate last year had a swollen ankle which somebody spotted as he passed by their tent and they insisted on wrapping it up and helping it. There is a thread somewhere in the depths of this forum form last year with a whole list of acts of kindness form last year - it's great to read!

In 2007 I slipped in the mud near the Pyramid and dropped the four beers I'd just bought. After being cheered by the vast crowd who witnessed the incident, no less than four people came over and offered me cans of booze.

Two of them offered me cans of cider though, the cheeky arseholes. I'm not 12 years old for Christ's sake.

In 2007 I slipped in the mud near the Pyramid and dropped the four beers I'd just bought. After being cheered by the vast crowd who witnessed the incident, no less than four people came over and offered me cans of booze.

Two of them offered me cans of cider though, the cheeky arseholes. I'm not 12 years old for Christ's sake.

I've just joined the site & I wanted to take this oportunity to thank a random bloke that helped me out enormously.

Last year, we arrived early & spent the (glorious) day exploring the site. In the afternoon, my mate got a call from my daughter, asking to speak with me urgently (I'd taken my phone with me, so I was mystified why she'd phoned him :P).

I spoke to her & she explained that she's received a call from "some bloke" saying that he'd found a phone on the site & hers was the last number I'd dialed. He'd left his number, which she passed on to me.

I immediately rang the guy on the number he provided & met him in front of the pyramid stage where the footy match was bring played. He handed my phone over with a big smile, but declined my offer to at least buy him a drink, as he had to rejoin his friends.

If you're on here mate, accept my gratitude & drop me a PM. I'll I'll gladly get 'em in this year.

No chancers..I remember what he looked like :P ..& remember, I'm a Yorkshireman :P

I found a phone on the floor not long after Glade 06 opened its gates. I picked it up and planned to hand it in but I soon saw a young couple some distance away from me looking frantic searching the ground...needlessly to say they were reunited with their phone :P

Have also had a mobile returned after wife lost it by the Stone Circle ! But I found a Blackberry in the mud as we were about to get on the coach home in 2007, thought it would be easy enough to return to owner. Phone was locked so couldn't get any numbers, took into local Vodaphone shop but they reckond they couldn't retrace the owner ?!?, posted the find on this site, ended up taking it into local Police station but even they thought they wouldn't be able to return it unless someone contacted them !

not glasto but at Leeds 06 my friend found some girls phone returned it to her by calling the last number. She rewarded him with sex.

from that day onwards I beleived in Karma!

Guest musiclove123

Edited by musiclove123

I've told the story before, and I'll tell it again even if nobody's interested, 'cause I'm arsed off with work and many other things so am happy to relive some nice moments from days gone by. Stick with it, as it starts with woe but ends with joy...

Glasto 1998, had had a great Weds & Thurs, pitched near where the new bands tent was that year (between Jazz & Other), glorious weather many mates and much fun. Fri morning wake to torrential rain and a small river trying to get into tent, me & 1 mate decide to pack up as much as we can to take to lock-up to keep it dry. As the straps on the packs are tightened, another mate suggests breakfast. Given we can see the bacon buttie bus from our tent we figure ok, have some food before lugging bags to the lock-up. (STUPID!) Less than 5 minutes later we return to a ransacked tent, 2 packed rucksacks gone along with various other bits, leaving me in the rain with just the clothes I was wearing, which were already soaked through. Rucksack even had car key, house keys, emergency chequebook etc. in. Me and 1 mate who also lost his bag slogged across to the house and lost property, where the lovely lovely people gave me as many dry pairs of socks as I could stuff into my pockets after taking my details and pointing us at the police. Police were very nice too, although couldn't do much really. After this my fellow victim decided enough was enough and set off homewards, couldn't face the rain and I couldn't blame him. As I had driven a bunch of people & tents up I couldn't go so resolved to tough it out, paying regular visits to lost property just in case. Missed many bands, including Rolf in the Acoustic Tent.

Now come the nice bits. Nice bit number 1 was the mate at home many miles away who I called and who got my spare car key, took 2 1/2 hours to drive to the site and met me at one of the gates then set off straight back. Lifesaver. (And I met Tricky and Michael Eavis while waiting for him).

Nice bit number 2, which for me is the real real Glasto spirit one, was that I realised I'd bought a bunch of stuff from one of the surf-shop stalls the night before the theft, all on a cheque. I thought I owed it to them to let them know the cheque might bounce as I had to cancel it, and was a bit worried about what they might be like. No need to worry though, as when I saw the bloke in question he just gave me a smile and a pat on the shoulder, told me to stick with it and make the most of the festival, get in touch with him when everything was sorted with the police and banks etc., and then gave me £20 and a full bottle of vodka. He even said I could crash in their stall if my tent had been damaged (which it hadn't).

I left that surf stall so over-the-top happy and in awe of how kind people can be I pretty much felt invincible (even more so after I drank the vodka), and even though I still had a soaking wet weekend with many visits to lost property, and eventually had to leave in the small hours of Sunday morning as my clothes were so wet they were starting to fall apart, Glastonbury 1998 was still a great festival. Even Ian Brown was good.

And in return, I always offer to help put neighbours tents up and once carried a mate all the way across the site in blazing sunshine after he messed his leg up (ended up on crutches). Even that ended up with me getting loads of beer offered to me by passers by. Shame I had a massive hangover. Oh, and I always try to find said surf stall and buy something from them every year.

Edited by radish

In the Year of the Great Flood a lot of people lost their tents and all their belongings when the area against the railway embankment became a lake.

Later in the day as the clouds parted in a golden burst of sunshine bedraggled people came up the hill through Home Ground where we were camping.

One dejected guy had lost everything, his tent, his clothes, his money. So we took him into our encampment, made him a hot meal and had a whip round to give him some cash.

We were just starting to talk about how we could fit him into our big tent when two girls next to us announced they'd had enough of the rain and mud and were going to pack up and go home.

They turned to him and said: "You can have our tent if you like" and gave it to him.

Bad weather and mud may be a bummer in some ways but they also tend to bring out the true spirit of Glasto.

Edited by grumpyhack

What a lovely thread...

I'd like to thank the couple of guys who caught me flying down the hill at the side of the Pyramid stage at the end of Neil Young. My wellies lost their grip and in a bid to keep on my feet, I just skipped faster and faster. Everyone in front got out my way except a couple of fella's who ran and caught me - think I would have really hurt myself.

Thanks guys :P

I love these stories; Glastonbury has such a wonderful vibe where everybody is so friendly, warm, and helpful; I even saw some policewomen with fairywings on horseback.

How this contrasts with my experiences at V last summer. We had quite a lot of stuff with us and the trek back to the car was long we decided to do things in 2 trips. My friend and I took everything bar our jackets and my rucksack which we left inside the tent which we would dismantle upon our return. When we returned an hour and a half later we found our tent had been nicked. I mean, they took the whole tent down, leaving our jackets and my rucksack on the grass. How mean was that......................

Edited by doubledutch

BIG THANKS to the random stranger who returned my lost bag in Glasto 08. After 'falling asleep' in the Avalon tent in the early hours of Monday morning, I thought I'd never see it again and left Glasto with a heavy heart.

Imagine my surprise when it arrived in the post in September 08 (via Glasto lost property - massive thanks to you guys too) complete with camera, sunglasses, £50 cash, kazoo (ah, happy memories!) and bog roll!

So if you do lose anything fill in a form and it may just return to you and make your day!

Can't wait to return this year....although I'll try to stay awake this time... :P