The elephant in the room

Guest llcoolphil

So now we know it's happening, the elephant in the room (for me at least) is whether to support it without Richard.

I say, very much, yes. As much as I think about Richard, the festival has to exist outside of him. As much as I deplore what is happening to him right now, if we dont support it in 2010, there is nothing to come back for in 2011. And as much as it makes me sound like an arse, I trust Neil's judgement on it. If he's carrying on supporting it as a sponsor, I have no issue supporting it as a punter.

So, are we all coming back?

So now we know it's happening, the elephant in the room (for me at least) is whether to support it without Richard.

I say, very much, yes. As much as I think about Richard, the festival has to exist outside of him. As much as I deplore what is happening to him right now, if we dont support it in 2010, there is nothing to come back for in 2011. And as much as it makes me sound like an arse, I trust Neil's judgement on it. If he's carrying on supporting it as a sponsor, I have no issue supporting it as a punter.

So, are we all coming back?

I've already suggested a light hearted yet obvious protest at Rich H and the other 2 members of staff who have been suspended. If enough people are interested I'm happy to design and produce a "free the festival 3" T shirt at a cost of just the production and posting.

Edited by Leprekorn

It's a really horrible and difficult decision for me...

On one hand, I'm really proud of the way that Summer Sundae & The Big Session has put Leicester on the map and I wouldn't want to contribute to any sort of protest that affected that. And I have been to every one!!!

But on the other hand, Richard is a good friend of mine and to see the way that he has been treated within this whole sorry saga is shocking.

I guess it's simply too early to make a decision. At the moment, we don't really know how different the festivals might be from previous years. I know in Rob Challice's interview he states that he wants things to be similar and better and I suppose we have to believe that. When and if it's confirmed that the wide range of partners for the festival (The Musician, Comedy Festival, Phrased and Confused etc) are signed up and back for next year, then it'll give me some confidence that it's going to be the same sort of event!!

Things like local bands are important to me. Richard played a major part in sourcing and choosing the local bands that played each year and I honestly think that's been a massive success story of the festivals in recent years - I'd really like to know how that's going to work now.

I really want things to succeed. I'd love Richard to be able to clear his name (or at least get details of why he's suspended - a neutral act apparently). In fact, my main Christmas wish would be for things to be how they were last Christmas.....

Sean

x

I'll keep this short, to ensure I don't go off on a rant... I'll still be going, but I'll also be making sure the council know my feelings on how this issue has been handled, and continues to be handled.

In a strange kind of way, perhaps supporting the festival is the best way to support Richard? Perhaps empirical evidence of support in early ticket sales could show the council how much we respect what Richard (and others of course) have built up this last 10 years, and how they may have underestimated public feeling on the issue.

All good thoughtful postings here.

If you do the T-Shirts, I'll gladly have a fat-boy size one, Leprekorn.

I also feel that Richard has been treated very badly, but hopefully by next August there will have been a satisfactory resolution.

Mrs Butch and I will again be present, and also my good friends Mr and Mrs Niblet also.

Very much looking forward to catching up with all you fine people again.

14:00 Friday at KayBee's bench?

Edited by butchwade

• 2 weeks later...