Your favourite Glasto images

Madabout G

Haven't posted any photos for a while, but this thread has whetted the appetite. Excellent stuff throughout.

Here's one I managed to hold the camera steady for last year:

G2009214.JPG

The first one in post #4 is one of mine. Glad to see it's still doing the rounds.

And, imagine my glee when I see my young Australian friends in post #151. She may be small, but she's definitely not poor quality!

R

FABULOUS PIC!!!!!

OK - thanks for your patience! :P

I've uploaded some more to this set at Flickr if anyone's interested: My Glastonbury 2009 Flickr set

Nice photos, thank you for sharing. I set out with the best intentions of taking loads then the alcohol makes me forgetful! :P

Edited by StoneCircle

Really like the pictures. It that a professional camera you use? My long distance and night time ones always come out rubbish and it is really frustrating. I have a Canon IXUS 70, but could borrow a decent Nikon SLR, would that make a difference.

I'm guessing that it;s a Nikon D700 :P

Agreed that they're lovely shots James.

James,

Really like the pictures. It that a professional camera you use? My long distance and night time ones always come out rubbish and it is really frustrating. I have a Canon IXUS 70, but could borrow a decent Nikon SLR, would that make a difference.

Yes, it's the Nikon D700 which has fantastic high ISO capability. A lot of professionals use it, but Nikon consider it the top end of their consumer range. Even so, I managed to take a lot of shots that didn't come out (like everyone else). Getting the exposure right is the key, especially for night shots, and it's not obvious until you've uploaded to the computer back at home which ones are keepers and just how many didn't come out as you intended. You'll have a lot more control with an DSLR than with the Ixus. The thing to do is to take a lot of memory cards and experiment with the exposure metering and camera settings.

I used to have an Ixus 400 but my wife bought me this fantastic camera about 18 months ago and now find that photography is becoming somewhat addictive. :P A tripod would help with the night shots when using a compact digital as you won't have the same light gathering ability with a compact lens and the camera won't really take decent shots above about ISO 800 or so. With a tripod you could go for a longer shutter speed. Alternatively brace the camera on a rock or fencepost etc.

The downside of the D700 (like the D3) is that the camera + zoom lenses are heavy! I did make use of the lockups to save my back from time to time and when I was letting my hair down. If you do borrow the DSLR make sure it's insured and don't be afraid to use the lockups, especially when you're sleeping. I trusted them with thousands of pounds worth of kit and will do so again.

Yes, it's the Nikon D700 which has fantastic high ISO capability. A lot of professionals use it, but Nikon consider it the top end of their consumer range. Even so, I managed to take a lot of shots that didn't come out (like everyone else). Getting the exposure right is the key, especially for night shots, and it's not obvious until you've uploaded to the computer back at home which ones are keepers and just how many didn't come out as you intended. You'll have a lot more control with an DSLR than with the Ixus. The thing to do is to take a lot of memory cards and experiment with the exposure metering and camera settings.

I used to have an Ixus 400 but my wife bought me this fantastic camera about 18 months ago and now find that photography is becoming somewhat addictive. :P A tripod would help with the night shots when using a compact digital as you won't have the same light gathering ability with a compact lens and the camera won't really take decent shots above about ISO 800 or so. With a tripod you could go for a longer shutter speed. Alternatively brace the camera on a rock or fencepost etc.

The downside of the D700 (like the D3) is that the camera + zoom lenses are heavy! I did make use of the lockups to save my back from time to time and when I was letting my hair down. If you do borrow the DSLR make sure it's insured and don't be afraid to use the lockups, especially when you're sleeping. I trusted them with thousands of pounds worth of kit and will do so again.

Thanks for that great reply, I'll certainly use the lock-ups as I have done in the past.

Thanks, I appreciate that. And yep, been there myself. :P

Which campervan field were you in? Great view of the Tor!! We were way back, certainly couldn't see the festival site even though we got there on Wednesday at about 1030am.

Hope the Tuesday opening for the campervan fields is announced as a goer now the licence has been granted, it will be great to get set up ready to have all of Wednesday on site! :P

Which campervan field were you in? Great view of the Tor!! We were way back, certainly couldn't see the festival site even though we got there on Wednesday at about 1030am.

Hope the Tuesday opening for the campervan fields is announced as a goer now the licence has been granted, it will be great to get set up ready to have all of Wednesday on site! :P

E17 - Family Campervan field. We were near the back of it so that shot took a 200mm lens, but no cropping required. Actually, I think I stood on a bollard or something about halfway along the main drag of that field to take that shot if memory serves.