The U2 warm up threads

Guest The Nal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will open with Beautiful Day. It's not the best and not what U2 fans would want but it's universal so it will be the likely opener.

I liked Elevation as an opener from the Elevation tour. Started with the full house lights on and then hit you with the full stage lights half way through.

They've always moved just behind the current below the mainstream to stay relevant. Back in the early 90s it was the Happy Mondays, Stone Roses etc and then the more dance stuff with POP in the mid 90s etc. Unfortunately now they're using the Kings of Leon as their "standard". Which is a disaster.

Edited by Wooderson

That maybe true but thats not really what I was on about. :D

Basicall it follows on from the mini chat with Digi earlier today regards "Sort of Homecoming" being played at Slane in '01 for the first time since 1987 - and only one further time since then. BTW SOH would make just a little poetic sense for them to open the show at Glasto, no? Think about it Digi...;)

My point Ollsie is that U2 are a dull live act due to the restrictions theyve placed on themselves. They have songs that just can't leave the setlist. Theyre like the Stones in that regard. But in a dissimilar way to the Stones U2 are always floggin' a new record. So the stuff that made them a great band in the first place gets squeezed out. There's no more room for something other than the classic or the newie - gigs can start to resemble a sine curve! We've got to the point now where theres 20 slots per show. 12 are classics that never change order or appearance. 6 are newies and then theres another "batch" of great songs that act as the character or colour of the show and get switched around each night. Maybe this is the Deadhead in me but I find this ploy total bullshit and it annoys me! :P

The band have played well over 350 gigs since "Homecoming" was last played and it hasnt gotten a single outing! Of course for a band of their size and corporate imperatives (Get out there and sell that record boys!) there will always be a focus on the core group of songs they have practised. U2 seem to have around 50 songs "on tour" every time they hit the road. But as a band (and as a fan) this gets grating when they have so many "standards" that kinda have to be played every night... It leaves little room for the creative or quirky little gem to come back into the set. The band's sound as a result get flabby and repetitive. They lose their "ooomph".

It aint easy to be so flexible granted - there are great songs that are not easy to replicate live (Zooropa) or bizarrely sporadic in their appearances (She's A Mystery To Me) or seemingly forgotten (e.g. Wire)... the result being that you get a predictable setlist that to anyone but the casual "who's that playing "Beautiful Day over there?" head turning fan will have heard before. The full spectrum of a great bands career is not represented. U2 are not the only culprits of this - but they are certainly one of the most cynical at this lark IMO. You only have to look at the group of songs on the encore for the current tour. It is so rigid they may as well just show a video.

Will they break out of this messing at Glasto when freed from the confines of set/screens/stage? This is the test for U2. They have the chance to show us how good they are. My gut instinct is the safety net will be reinforced on the night. Zero risks taken.

Yeah they're basically afraid people will say "but they didn't play xxxxx". They have so many "classic" tunes like Wit or Without You, what can they leave out? Remember, they're not a cool band anymore. They're a bog standard stadium monster. When you play to so many people, you can't afford to take risks really. Most people only know/want to hear the standards - the three of Joshua Tree, one or two off Achtung Baby and one or two new songs. A lot of people who go to their gigs now aren't music fans really. They're one step behind Bon Jovi now in that regard.

Basicall it follows on from the mini chat with Digi earlier today regards "Sort of Homecoming" being played at Slane in '01 for the first time since 1987 - and only one further time since then. BTW SOH would make just a little poetic sense for them to open the show at Glasto, no? Think about it Digi...;)

My point Ollsie is that U2 are a dull live act due to the restrictions theyve placed on themselves. They have songs that just can't leave the setlist. Theyre like the Stones in that regard. But in a dissimilar way to the Stones U2 are always floggin' a new record. So the stuff that made them a great band in the first place gets squeezed out. There's no more room for something other than the classic or the newie - gigs can start to resemble a sine curve! We've got to the point now where theres 20 slots per show. 12 are classics that never change order or appearance. 6 are newies and then theres another "batch" of great songs that act as the character or colour of the show and get switched around each night. Maybe this is the Deadhead in me but I find this ploy total bullshit and it annoys me! :P

The band have played well over 350 gigs since "Homecoming" was last played and it hasnt gotten a single outing! Of course for a band of their size and corporate imperatives (Get out there and sell that record boys!) there will always be a focus on the core group of songs they have practised. U2 seem to have around 50 songs "on tour" every time they hit the road. But as a band (and as a fan) this gets grating when they have so many "standards" that kinda have to be played every night... It leaves little room for the creative or quirky little gem to come back into the set. The band's sound as a result get flabby and repetitive. They lose their "ooomph".

It aint easy to be so flexible granted - there are great songs that are not easy to replicate live (Zooropa) or bizarrely sporadic in their appearances (She's A Mystery To Me) or seemingly forgotten (e.g. Wire)... the result being that you get a predictable setlist that to anyone but the casual "who's that playing "Beautiful Day over there?" head turning fan will have heard before. The full spectrum of a great bands career is not represented. U2 are not the only culprits of this - but they are certainly one of the most cynical at this lark IMO. You only have to look at the group of songs on the encore for the current tour. It is so rigid they may as well just show a video.

Will they break out of this messing at Glasto when freed from the confines of set/screens/stage? This is the test for U2. They have the chance to show us how good they are. My gut instinct is the safety net will be reinforced on the night. Zero risks taken.

Edit - yet the band show that theyre capable of initiative when "One Tree Hill" gets played every time they tour NZ. I know theres reasons for that but it proves my point a little. U2 live is a big cynical pain in the ass.

:lol:

I was totally pissed up on freebie with work, only remember New Years Day being amazing, but I remember thinking they could've done something alright. But to change one song or one aspect of the show with that rig must cost a lot and take ages!

Glasto though – they are free of mechanic oppression and back to rock and roll so anything coulc happen. :)

Edit - yet the band show that theyre capable of initiative when "One Tree Hill" gets played every time they tour NZ. I know theres reasons for that but it proves my point a little. U2 live is a big cynical pain in the ass.

:lol:

This is actually very similar to how I feel about the flaming lips really.

I know a lot of fans would like to see them scrap all the confetti, the hamster ball etc etc and just stand on stage playing their instruments and play songs from the whole of their back catalogue.

As is rightly pointed out, you dont realise that every single part of somes bands live show are scripted unless you are a bandnerd who goes to more than one leg of a bands tour.

This is actually very similar to how I feel about the flaming lips really.

I know a lot of fans would like to see them scrap all the confetti, the hamster ball etc etc and just stand on stage playing their instruments and play songs from the whole of their back catalogue.

As is rightly pointed out, you dont realise that every single part of somes bands live show are scripted unless you are a bandnerd who goes to more than one leg of a bands tour.

Saying that, Flaming Lips are the one band I think who need the confetti, hamster ball, etc. Its a part of their act, its what makes them what they are, totally bonkers, and what made me fall in love with them. I cannot think of many other bands who I like for being that mad! Their music is equally as mad as well which is why I love them

I disagree entirely. They havent always used the confetti etc. It is just what people expect now so it is hard for them to stop. Check out some of their older stuff on youtube before all the bells and whistles. It was fantastic.

They are pigeon holed now - everyone expects the big stage show. But I live in hope they will one day go back to stripped down sets without all the backing tapes etc.

All that being said, they are still my favourite band, confetti or not.